IGNORED

Poor again - let's not gloss over tactics

Olé

That's three games in a row we've played like that and today we've literally mugged Burton despite being outplayed for most of it. The tactics are poor with no width, a real premium on creating chances (dependent on killer balls through the middle mainly) and losing out in midfield most of the time.

Been same all three games, happy days 3 wins but let's not be complacent, the tactics have not worked for most of the 270 minutes and LJ needs to sort it out. Realise I've not justified this but walking right now, proper examples to follow when I'm on the train.

7 minutes ago, Olé said:

That's three games in a row we've played like that and today we've literally mugged Burton despite being outplayed for most of it. The tactics are poor with no width, a real premium on creating chances (dependent on killer balls through the middle mainly) and losing out in midfield most of the time.

Been same all three games, happy days 3 wins but let's not be complacent, the tactics have not worked for most of the 270 minutes and LJ needs to sort it out. Realise I've not justified this but walking right now, proper examples to follow when I'm on the train.

Fingers crossed that the tactics don't work like they haven't for the rest season.

2 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Fingers crossed that the tactics don't work like they haven't for the rest season.

Points return won't be anything like it has been so far if we continue playing as we are. Even LJ must know that. Respectfully it's naive to want the current performances to continue just because of the results.

To be fair, playing a right footer on the left and a left footer on he right in a 442 is never going to produce a great deal of width. I think LJ is currently  trying to fit all our form players into one formation; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I don't think that formation with that personnel is sustainable, but I ain't a professional football manager 

We have played three games and changed our formation in all of them to match what is in front of us.

Kodj ends up on the wing and plays the ball in to The New Messiah to score in the 5th minute of overs away at a newly promoted side's first home game.

Early days, but I'll take the points it took eight games last season and we will get better. 

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Points return won't be anything like it has been so far if we continue playing as we are. Even LJ must know that. Respectfully it's naive to want the current performances to continue just because of the results.

it was tongue in cheek, sorry you didn't get that, I don't do emoji's.

5 of todays starting lineup are new signings, we traditionally do better against footballing sides and as yet we haven't faced one, i'm sure LJ is well aware things are less than perfect and I suspect that there are still several more signings to arrive, at least this season we have the advantage of having a little more competition for places.

So let's be happy we have a few scores on the doors and hope and expect performances to come with tactical improvements.

I also heard that the referee today was appalling especially in the first half.

LJ has said himself; we're a work in progress.

We might be shifting about a bit just now to find how we best fit together, but I'm happy that we clearly have brought in enough quality to win games when the team isn't quite 'clicking', and that unlike last year we are not slavishly sticking to a formation that isn't rewarding us.

I can see some games doing for us; Nowich look sharp and aggressive, so might need to find another gear or two.

One player I really can see making a difference is Korey Smith; such a cool head and clever player - nice to think we still have him to come back.

Three games into a new season, we are work in progress as lots of new faces / tactics . But surely signs should be positive when we are winning games whilst not performing to our best?! 

Just imagine what we will do when we are firing on all cylinders !

What I think is refreshing is that both the fans (importantly) and the manager (vitally) aren't saying all is rosy because of 3 wins so far. The old adage is that you strengthen when you're on top, and by the same token, even if you're winning you need to look where you can and should improve.

Every confidence in LJ to do this, and us as fans not getting carried away by a couple of results is what separates us from some others.

I thought the season start was tough, and would have been delighted with 8 points after August. May need to revise that up, but I am sure LJ will look to see where we can improve

2 minutes ago, Murraysrightplum said:

Literally mugged? Literally??

Metaphorically. But yes, outplayed us all first half until we scored. Outplayed us for the last quarter of the game and looked like the only team likely to win it. Kodjia has beaten a defender for the first time all day and Abraham won't know how he scored that winner.

They will not do well this season Burton but they played with more fluidity and ability to open us up than we did them. Our overload of attacking players results in the opposite, unable to build and open them up, few balls from wide, and not providing many clear chances for the strikers besides release balls down the middle.

Everything I wrote about Wycombe applied today. To do it a second time in a week, and against a team that created far far more chances than us, is a mugging, metaphorical or literal.

• Admin
1 minute ago, Olé said:

Metaphorically. But yes, outplayed us all first half until we scored. Outplayed us for the last quarter of the game and looked like the only team likely to win it. Kodjia has beaten a defender for the first time all day and Abraham won't know how he scored that winner.

They will not do well this season Burton but they played with more fluidity and ability to open us up than we did them. Our overload of attacking players results in the opposite, unable to build and open them up, few balls from wide, and not providing many clear chances for the strikers besides release balls down the middle.

Everything I wrote about Wycombe applied today. To do it a second time in a week, and against a team that created far far more chances than us, is a mugging, metaphorical or literal.

So Burton sound exactly the same as us last season, but this season we're actually putting some of those chances away?

We have some very good foundations in place.  We are far from the finished article but whilst we build our team I'm very happy with the foundations we are building it upon. 

It's the second league game into the season.  Very few teams will be the finished article at this stage of the season. These 3 results will be massive for us in the future.  We've not played well,  we've been outplayed at times,  it's been backs to the wall sort of stuff at times but still we have managed to come away with 3 wins. It just shows what character and strength and belief this side is starting to form. Those are magic ingredients and can take a team a very long way.  Only have to look at Leicester last season to see that. 

43 minutes ago, Olé said:

You are right of course it would have been far better to play fantastic football in our 3 games and lose them all much better, Be positive and think we are playing this shite and are top of the league........when we start playing great football don't come back on here and say oh well at least we played great, never mind about the points.

LJ knows we "haven't started yet" so lets be thankfull  for what we have and hopefull for what we want.

The team is young no connections and think about it. If we start like that when we are playing that, how we will play when the team work will be better and the players will work nice togheter and with 2 more singnings that will come for sure.

He will find the right tactic, if we look the results he was  very good manager for us until now. Think about Leicester, they won games playing not very nice and they build some crazy confidence that made them to win the title pretty easily. 

Archived