IGNORED

Mark Little

CTRed

Sounds as if Coxyboy has been supporting City since the beginning of last season because that rather disparaging remark about Little is inaccurate; to put it somewhat mildly.

I thought he was brilliant in our promotion season but clearly an injury has really thwarted his development and confidence. 

The sort of vitriole against him will clearly not help him one little bit.

32 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Sounds as if Coxyboy has been supporting City since the beginning of last season because that rather disparaging remark about Little is inaccurate; to put it somewhat mildly.

I thought he was brilliant in our promotion season but clearly an injury has really thwarted his development and confidence. 

Yes, as stated, was great on League 1, has never, and will not be in Championship

33 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Agree wholeheartedly.

Wouldn't try to claim he's the best thing since sliced bread, but this is a player who scored our second goal in a Wembley final 18 months ago, and was a key part of a squad who steamrollered league one.  He deserves more respect than some are showing.

And for those looking back and lionising Ayling in comparison; another player who served us well, but reports from my Leeds supporting colleagues at their game yesterday were not glowing, and he was apparently at fault for Brum's winninggoal

So, it's probably the case that neither is quite up to speed at this level (yet), and we'll need Matthews fit ASAP.  But no need for the venom for Little.

I get Matthews not being fit to start but the only way that is going to improve is if he is given game time.

For that reason alone Matthews should have came on after 60 mins or so to get some minutes under his belt.

If anyone saw the second goal Leeds conceded you would have seen Ayling didn't cover himself in glory on his debut yesterday. Although I would prefer Ayling I don't think Little is a million times worse.

Thought he was shockingly bad. I can't get behind the 'no support' comments. The amount of times O'Dowda had to rescue him when he got done was shameful. At one point, even Kodjia (And Bryan one or twice, somehow?!?) came over to help. 

The problem is, support or not, he stands them up whilst they are 10-15 yards away, someone then runs in behind down the line and he literally watched them, then turns his body to show them the pass down the wing giving him no chance to chase the ball. Truly bizarre. 

At times, particularly defending our end at corners/free kicks, there were times where we were screaming at him because his man had ran off to the far post (before the kick was taken), he clocked the screams and the man, and stayed where he was whilst Magnusson was also screaming at him. Luckily Mags was able to take care of his man, and clear Littles lines as well. 

10 hours ago, coxyboy said:

Carefull mate ...the happy clappers will not be happy. I've been saying this for about 18 months now. This guy is one of the worst players ever to wear the shirt. A total liability and so far out his depth at this level it's painful to watch.

Are you high? What a ridiculous thing to say.

he was brilliant in league 1 until his injury, perhaps he's not properly recovered or the championship is a step too far for him but he is certainly not one of the worst players to ever wear the shirt, wow.

10 hours ago, coxyboy said:

Carefull mate ...the happy clappers will not be happy. I've been saying this for about 18 months now. This guy is one of the worst players ever to wear the shirt. A total liability and so far out his depth at this level it's painful to watch.

Stupid comment he is a double winner and is nowhere near Nicky hunt standard

10 hours ago, CTRed said:

It seems that whenever he plays the opposition "target" him, the threat always comes down his side. No coincidence. The same comments about him have been made for the last 18 months or so. No more excuses. I don't want a 'backup' RB who is prone to consistently making errors that inevitably lead to a goal scoring opportunity/goal whenever he plays.

btw I am delighted at the progress and development being made on & off the pitch and extremely excited by all. I will, however, criticize a player who is consistently poor. 

Great support today, looking forward to hearing a packed AG for Newcastle.

He hasn't played in the last 18 months due to injury

Obviously this is a forum and people can express their opinions etc but so often people resort to 'catastrophic' thinking and exaggeration (lose 1 match 'we're doomed, win 1 match 'champions league here we come').  In this case it's pretty disrespectful to a player who was excellent in one of our most successful sides in years. We went up, the standard went up, some players might or might not cope with that - it's how football works.  

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

He hasn't played in the last 18 months due to injury

He certainly played some games last season and looked woeful, I personally like the guy and he was excellent as an attacking threat in our promotion year but unfortunately he is a liability as a defender in the championship

7 minutes ago, TinMan's left peg said:

Obviously this is a forum and people can express their opinions etc but so often people resort to 'catastrophic' thinking and exaggeration (lose 1 match 'we're doomed, win 1 match 'champions league here we come').  In this case it's pretty disrespectful to a player who was excellent in one of our most successful sides in years. We went up, the standard went up, some players might or might not cope with that - it's how football works.  

Don't worry when Matthews is for pack will be the object of hate followed by Bryan then kodja

1 hour ago, harrys said:

He certainly played some games last season and looked woeful, I personally like the guy and he was excellent as an attacking threat in our promotion year but unfortunately he is a liability as a defender in the championship

I'm not sure he's had a good game at this level, so I'd agree there.

Makes the decision to sell Ayling all the stranger. 

Ayling shares Little's propensity to be caught out of position,  but offers more to the team - especially going forward. 

I always wondered if Luke's natural position was in midfield.  We'll never know now.

I don't want to go over the top because Mark Little is an okay player.  But he isn't good enough for this level.  Those who claim he's been injured the whole time are simply put, wrong.  He played 25 times last season and twice so far this season.  

Nothing personal but his clumsy determined style is not good enough at this level and he is a passable League One player at best.  I have a few Peterborough supporters who said the same when he joined and I laughed them off after our first season, but it really should be apparent to anyone watching that he makes far too many errors to play in the Championship. 

The club have done 99% of the summer perfectly, but selling a younger, better, more versatile Luke Ayling and keeping Mark Little is a blemish.

1 minute ago, JM91 said:

The club have done 99% of the summer perfectly, but selling a younger, better, more versatile Luke Ayling and keeping Mark Little is a blemish.

You can only sell players when there are willing buyers. Maybe Little didn't have any suitors, whilst a good offer came in for Ayling.

3 minutes ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

You can only sell players when there are willing buyers. Maybe Little didn't have any suitors, whilst a good offer came in for Ayling.

Almost certainly true. But the thing is we didn't have to sell.  LA wasn't surplus to our requirements. 

Maybe the answer with Little, once Matthews is back, is to loan him out so he can get some consistent match-time?

29 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

He looks bereft of confidence and hesitant in everything he does. He needs our backing but I have to say the sooner Matthews is fit the better and we need to arrange a couple friendlies to get him up to speed and quickly.

I think that you are correct, the shoulder injury seems to have to left more than just the physical pain, he does appear to be the same player.

6 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I don't agree - as I said elsewhere, it's easy to remember him with rose-tinted glasses as we did so well that year, but after a strong start he really tailed off before his injury.

He made four assists in the first month or so of the season and the one in the rest of the campaign. It's not all about stats, but he looked effective at the start, but became more average as the season wore on.

It's probably best illustrated by the fact when Tavernier came in, and found his feet, he looked much better; and I'd call him a decent Championship RB.

So it's Mark Little! 

Our only fit player in that position who was carrying a knock all last season (Source LJ) hardly played games for months and integral part of our double winning team and scorer at Wembley.... but we just gotta find a scapegoat for being top!

15 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

So it's Mark Little! 

Our only fit player in that position who was carrying a knock all last season (Source LJ) hardly played games for months and integral part of our double winning team and scorer at Wembley.... but we just gotta find a scapegoat for being top!

Wait for it, once he's out of the team it will be Kodjia getting the stick if he doesn't score soon. Little is certainly struggling at this level but some of the stick he is getting is wide of the mark, I can think of a dozen worse right backs we've had without even thinking about it

Archived