IGNORED

Team for Norwich

SODS_LAW

Rod

Matthews Flint Mags Bryan 

Pack     G'oN

C'oD           Tomlin           Kodjia 

Abraham

kodjia working down the left cutting on to his right and let Tomlin be the number 10 he is and feed Tammys good runs!!

6 hours ago, SODS_LAW said:

Rod

Pack     G'oN

Abraham

kodjia working down the left cutting on to his right and let Tomlin be the number 10 he is and feed Tammys good runs!!

that team! Booootiful! I really do like the idea of kodjia out on the wing. Whenever he cuts in he seems to absolutely terrorise defences. Plus, got Tomlin in his preferred position.

ROD

AM AF HM SG

GON MP

BR LT JB

JK

this would provide the full backs with more protection than they probably had vs Burton, but we also know that Bryan and Reid can do damage going forward. You also then have COD and Tammy as options on the hour mark. Lee Tomlin gets to play almost as a second striker, and if we need him there's always Wilbs off the bench as well.

8 hours ago, SODS_LAW said:

Rod

Pack     G'oN

Abraham

I think this is our strongest formation with the players we have. The two holding players for me have to be O'Neil, Pack and Smith who rotate game to game.

Get Tomlin in his best position where he can dictate a game from a central position. May leave us exposed at full back at times but certainly an attacking line up which should worry teams in this league 

Norwich have played a 4 2 3 1 in both of their games so far, so do we expect LJ to match it? If so, I can see Tammy dropping to the bench, we have to remember that he has now played more games than he ever has in men's football in just the last 8 days and no disrespect to Wigan or Burton, Norwich are a far superior team to either of them. If we do match them up then I can see us playing something like this...

ROD

Little Flint Mags Bryan

ONeil Pack

ODowda Tomlin Reid

Kodjia

This leaves LJ room to change it up depending on how we are playing, as he has done in the last couple of games. Don't know how far away Matthews is, but would prefer him to Little, although that looks unlikely at the moment. 

Are there any other formations that would help cancel Norwich out, stop us being over run in midfield and still give us enough firepower up top? 

I wonder if you might have one or two other players to factor in by game day?

I agree with @Super- Can't see all three of Kodjia, Abrahams and Tomlin starting.

Imagine if anyone is likely to drop to the bench it would be Kodjia, as you cannot leave out someone in a purple patch like Tammy, and despite his slow start to the season, Tomlin still has the potential to pull something out of the bag; his potential from free kicks alone in a game where every opportunity will count means I'd start him.

Front line of Abraham, Tomlin in behind, with Reid (as for all the brick bats he recieves is a worker and moves the ball quickly) and O'Dowda (who will be useful on the break), supported by O'Neill and either Brownhill (more pace) or Pack (solidity) works for me.

Hope Matthews will be able to come in, as if nothing else I wonder when he'll get match fitness, and otherwise the back line can stay.

Also; I keep wondering if this isn't exactly the sort of game Wilbraham will prove an asset in.  Come late on when we are either looking to nick one to get parity or clinging on to level scores/a lead, I'm pleased we have a seasoned campaigner to throw on up top. 

25 minutes ago, I Am A Cider Drinker said:

Norwich have played a 4 2 3 1 in both of their games so far, so do we expect LJ to match it? If so, I can see Tammy dropping to the bench, we have to remember that he has now played more games than he ever has in men's football in just the last 8 days and no disrespect to Wigan or Burton, Norwich are a far superior team to either of them. If we do match them up then I can see us playing something like this...

ROD

Little Flint Mags Bryan

ONeil Pack

ODowda Tomlin Reid

Kodjia

This leaves LJ room to change it up depending on how we are playing, as he has done in the last couple of games. Don't know how far away Matthews is, but would prefer him to Little, although that looks unlikely at the moment. 

Are there any other formations that would help cancel Norwich out, stop us being over run in midfield and still give us enough firepower up top? 

You cannot drop Abraham when he's scored 4 in 3.

RO'D

Matthews Flint Magnusson Golbourne

Pack O'Neil

CO'D Tomlin Bryan

Abraham

I think playing golbourne and Bryan on the left will make it more solid down that side defensively, we need to include Tammy after 4 in 3 but also would want 5 in midfield rather than 4 going away to what I expect will be a strong Norwich side. Kodjia is a good weapon to have on the bench, and could also be a good opportunity to challenge him to get his place back. Hopefully with the pace of Bryan, CO'D and Abraham and some Tomlin magic we can grab a goal on the counter and hold on!!!

As it seems Matthews won't be fit enough to start the Norwich game (not itk, just assuming due to lack of game time), any thoughts on switching Joe over to RB and putting Golbourne LB? I fear for Little if Norwich target him, which they inevitably will. 

It does annoy me a tad that we paid top dollar for Tomlin and this season haven't played him in behind the front two where I think he's best. We did the same with Marcus Stewart and Lee Trundle and never got to see the best of them in City shirt. 

21 minutes ago, shelts said:

It does annoy me a tad that we paid top dollar for Tomlin and this season haven't played him in behind the front two where I think he's best. We did the same with Marcus Stewart and Lee Trundle and never got to see the best of them in City shirt. 

Agreed. I thought we would be building a side around him rather than the apparent trying to fit him in somewhere.

He should be the first name on the team sheet but if we carry on we could hit the bizarre point where the most anticipated signing in years is on the bench and even all us "experts" on here are calling for it !!

Last year he was smiling at everything - so far I have heard/seen him getting very frustrated and he does not seem happy and why should he be when he is starved of the possession he craves.

Interesting problem and i still think we can play him in the middle with 2 strikers - we did a couple of times last year with wilbs and kodj in front of him albeit not sure if that was later in the game or from start?

We are already seeing the benefits of a decent competitive squad.

Dropping Marlon Pack was a surprise to all but GJ and Pembo yesterday and bringing on Wilbo to send JK wide yesterday was something most wouldn't have done without seeing them in training.

However it seems that JK wider is a serious option (who thought that eight days ago), but that means a greater amount of defensive work for Jimmy and we will have to see if that suits him over 90 mins rather than chasing a goal with 5 to play.

In principle I like the OP's side although Matthews may not be fit enough yet and we are not sure when Korey will be fit enough for the bench!

All good problems to have!

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

Dropping Marlon Pack was a surprise to all but GJ and Pembo yesterday and bringing on Wilbo to send JK wide yesterday was something most wouldn't have done without seeing them in training.

However it seems that JK wider is a serious option (who thought that eight days ago), but that means a greater amount of defensive work for Jimmy and we will have to see if that suits him over 90 mins rather than chasing a goal with 5 to play.

In principle I like the OP's side although Matthews may not be fit enough yet and we are not sure when Korey will be fit enough for the bench!

Don't you start as well. It was bad enough Curbishly saying GJ was our manager last night :ph34r:

1 hour ago, REDOXO said:

What's GJ got to do with it ? it ? it ? ... echo ...echo ...

3 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

Tomlin plays left side as that is where he wants to play...

4-5-1 with Golborne left back, a solid 3 in the middle with Reid and Tomlin fairly free behind Abraham.

Stop stating what the manager and Lee Tomlin have said. Clearly his best and preferred position is behind the striker. OTIB said so. Of course he'd be deadly in a central attacking role but he prefers it on the left and LJ has said that as well. Reid is our best option to play behind the striker in an attacking lineup. 

I'd give Joe and Freeman the start on the wings for their work rate but I appreciate if we still want some creativity on the pitch. I think it would be a real mistake to not play Pack and I think he was rested for this match. Pack Brownhill and GON in the middle for me. 

15 hours ago, Thatwasclose said:

How far off is Korey?

9 hours ago, samo II said:

I was wondering the same.

Could do with him back ASAP; tough games the next couple of weeks (and I'm counting Scunthorpe in that).

Just before the first game LJ said it was looking like he'd need about 3-4 weeks. So Newcastle/Villa at the earliest I'd imagine.

37 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Is Matthews going to be ready for this game?  Definitely feel we'll need him in our back 4.

If Matthews needs match fitness that badly (when every man and his dog thinks he does), why did he not get any minutes against Burton on Saturday?

I'd have at least given him the first half. 

Rod

Matthews Flint Magnusson Golbourne

O'Neil
   Brownhill                     Bryan
                      Tomlin

Kodjia        Tammy

I think Bryan could offer a bit of natural width as well as helping out centrally.

Unsure on whether I'd go with Bobby or Brownhill, would need to be a willing runner in the middle of the park as well as offering similar width as Joe would.

In fairness, the line up above could be far too attacking and could see us picked apart. But just another idea really!

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Is Matthews going to be ready for this game?  Definitely feel we'll need him in our back 4.

I think we need him and Goldbourne as our full-backs. With one, or both, of Bryan and Little playing I fear it's likely we could concede 2 or 3 tomorrow night. We'll also have to drop one of Tomlin, Abraham and Kodjia IMO.

Although we have a better first 11 than last season sometimes you have to respect your limitations and the quality of opposition. A long trip to Norwich on a Tuesday night is a very tough game and a point would be a good result.

If we go gung-ho as we did at the likes of Hull last season under LJ then there's a fair chance we'll get spanked. Gotta be tight and resilient and we might just nick a result.

Archived