IGNORED

Andy Stockhousen

bs3

11 minutes ago, Leveller said:

Reporting something appearing on a website does not constitute starting a rumour.

Ok fair enough.

Although lifting inaccurate rumours from elsewhere doesn't constitute being a journalist either. 

7 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

He posted an article today about our interest in Long and then tweeted that there was no truth in reports of our interest in Long. 

He did not "start the rumour", he was responding to an article in The Sun. The article states:

"Unable to break into the first team reckoning at Burnley now they are in the Premier League, Long, 25, is rumoured to be on his way Ashton Gate with The Sun newspaper claiming the Robins have agreed a fee of £500,000."

He then tweeted that he would try to find out more at yesterday's press conference, and then later said there was no truth in it.

So he has responded to the initial story, found out what he can, and concluded there is no truth in it. What is wrong with that? Or does that not suit the agenda against him?

Think you will find a lot of the 'rumour' articles aren't actually written by him.  Dan Newman has the job of scrolling through social media rumours and reporting them on the website.  

Seems a cool thing to do, trying to belittle him, slag him off constantly and then bitch and moan when he blocks people.

if he finds a rumour on this forum, would it not be poor on his part not to check it out for himself? In these days of ever more popular forums & social media, journalism is changing, with the clubs policy of not commenting on any transfers, surly any information he receives/ reads is worth him following up on?

15 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Is it me, or is this all getting a bit out of hand now?

Yeah, he's not perfect, we all get that, but the bloke is only doing his best. If you'd don't like his best, don't buy his newspaper, don't click on his website and don't follow him on Twitter. And don't be such a bloody keyboard warrior, either.

There's a way to do your best. It probably avoids moaning about 'some city fans' and their impatience, lust for signings and then writing entire articles, jokes or not, about going into hiding. Considering he is solely followed by his customer base he'd do better to be less smarmy about his knowledge, which is often no better, or in fact worse, than many on here.

In fact I'm not sure he is doing his best to be honest, having worked in the same field in the past, but that's another debate.

16 hours ago, The Journalist said:

Is it me, or is this all getting a bit out of hand now?

Yeah, he's not perfect, we all get that, but the bloke is only doing his best. If you'd don't like his best, don't buy his newspaper, don't click on his website and don't follow him on Twitter. And don't be such a bloody keyboard warrior, either.

He blocked me on Twitter for voicing my opinion. Clearly doesn't like the fact that other people can have opinions. 

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

There's a way to do your best. It probably avoids moaning about 'some city fans' and their impatience, lust for signings and then writing entire articles, jokes or not, about going into hiding. Considering he is solely followed by his customer base he'd do better to be less smarmy about his knowledge, which is often no better, or in fact worse, than many on here.

In fact I'm not sure he is doing his best to be honest, having worked in the same field in the past, but that's another debate.

I think this is spot on.

He is also a pretty mediocre writer who in addition to having no source within the club like so many other provincial journalists do, makes numerous factual errors, simply because he actually knows very little about the history of our club.

The sort of things that Richard Latham, for instance, knows without even looking them up.

2 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

And therein lies the whole point of my deleted 'Transfer Request' thread.

Andy is all over this site like a rash and will regularly read through posts/threads and then print it in a regional newspaper giving it some credence .

The JK instagram deletion is a classic example. He sees what's going on on OTIB ( especially the over reaction or totally baseless speculation) and then prints it a few hours later and always says "City Fans are saying....." Never does he mention OTIB by name.

The fact that he prints this sort of thing somewhere that can and does get picked up in other papers just makes it harder for those at BCFC trying to keep everybody happy or the lid on activity. My thread was merely a little joke at Andy's expense although I have to admit to being fully aware of the collateral damage.

There were times in the past that you could genuinely rely on BEP & WDP to provide the best coverage of all the news from BS3 and the other place but those days are gone and what we have now is Andy Stockhausen who appears, imo, as somewhere between a re-reporter and a social media tart.

I think some people here are confusing the abilities of Andy Stockhausen, who seems a competent, but perhaps not exceptional, local journalist, with the state of modern local journalism.

This: http://www.sub-scribe.co.uk/2016/08/gareth-davies-why-trinity-mirror-model.html is quite a long read but it may be of interest to some. The Post is, I believe, part of the Trinity Mirror network and whilst I've not seen anything quite as bad as some of the examples highlighted, it's indicative of the way they are taking their operations.

I don't know how Andy feels about this situation. I'd guess he's somewhat ashamed of what local journalism is becoming but has to balance that with the desire to keep a roof over his head and food on his table. Perhaps other journalists would challenge it more but he doesn't have to if he doesn't want to.

It can, quite rightly, be pointed out that other local papers are still managing to maintain their standards, and good for them. I'd love to believe there is still a market for quality local journalism. Perhaps somebody in Bristol will establish a quality local paper to give people a choice. Maybe Andy Stockhausen could get a job on that paper and prove himself producing top quality stuff. Until then he, and we, are at the mercy of Trinity Mirror and their click targets. We should probably get used to it.

Archived