IGNORED

Mark Little

Bs4Red

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

Gouffran had Matthews on toast. Every time the cross field pass was made he got in behind. Little however had the pace to defend against it better.

Matthews is the betterplayer, but today Little coped better, he's just the popular one to criticise right now

He got in behind?! I don't remember him putting in more than 1 cross, Matthews won loads of tackles and often made him go all the way back to Clark. 

4 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Matthews strained his hammy how can he cope. Little us popular because he's terrible

Any excuse to have a go then? Out of our 2 right backs he played better, regardless of injury. And if Matthews' injury was that bad he would have gone off earlier, so he either went off as soon as he felt it, or it hadn't been bad until that point, neither of which counts as an excuse.

Just now, City169 said:

Any excuse to have a go then? Out of our 2 right backs he played better, regardless of injury. And if Matthews' injury was that bad he would have gone off earlier, so he either went off as soon as he felt it, or it hadn't been bad until that point, neither of which counts as an excuse.

Think that's pretty harsh tbh but I understand your point. A lot more to playing RB than defending. Personally thought little was awful today

10 minutes ago, Londoner said:

Give him a break he really wasn't that bad. Yes he played the odd poor ball, but then so did Reid, tomlin, freeman, hodor on occasions.

He didn't have any lapses at the back....short on confidence not helped by fans giving him shit.

This. It wasn't like he gave it away every time he touched it. Or his man beat him every time. He did fine. He's our backup RB ffs. He's not meant to be a world beater. Luke Ayling wasn't covered in glory against Wigan so stop bringing him up. He's gone. They were both backup. We got 3/4 of a mil for Ayling. That's good business for someone who isn't that much better(if at all) than Little. Goufrann consistently was in space with Matthews there and that stopped when Little came on. He was average not poor and that's ok. No one always has an 8/9 out of 10 game especially against a club like Newcastle. Get behind him and encourage him. He wasn't even on for the goal ffs. He played 70 minutes against Newcastle, with part of that as a CB in a back 3, and didn't concede. What the problem? 

4 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Who the **** is the little bs4 boy on here :rofl2br:

What an abolute loser

No need mate, all allowed an opinion. If you don't like mine then block me. I thought little was poor you thought he was okay, all point of the forum 

Just now, Kodjias Wrist said:

Thats ironic after your previous post. Bore off and accept peoples opinnion.

More than happy to accept them, still allowed to disagree with yours. Previous post was a bit of banter. Apologies if it didn't come across like that 

Just now, Bs4Red said:

More than happy to accept them, still allowed to disagree with yours. Previous post was a bit of banter. Apologies if it didn't come across like that 

I understand what your saying about him mate but i thought he was a big improvement today than what he has been. I was frustrated with most of his final balls but then we just couldnt get anything through. If i was to pick our worst player there would he a 3 or 4 before freeman. O dowda for example..... i forgot he was even on the pitch!

Don't think Little has been the same since his injury.

My other issue with him is that he was bought in for a very specific role, right wing back. I don't think he's very effective anywhere else. Being a wing back played to his strengths, he could bomb up and down and not have to worry too much defensively - in comparison to being a right back.

Unlike Bryan, the left wing back in that formation, who's got much better technical attributes and is versatile - Little isn't. Easy to say 'move him on' but when he moves, he needs to go somewhere that'll allow him to play right wing back. 

33 minutes ago, Kodjias Wrist said:

Freeman played brilliant today not sure what game you were watching

I thought it was a game of two for Freeman. When on the left I felt like it was watching him in League One being a danger and rather instrumental.

Much of the second half he was asked to play RWB. And actually although I think he found it tough and certainly struggled, thought he did so admirably. 

Today's was a performance of promise and of perseverance and of actually showing competence rather than excelling when played very, very out of position for much of. Today was a game of encouragement, not for slating.

Honestly, I think anyone slagging Freeman after today has an agenda. He was pushing a solid 7/10 on the left and RWB probably between 5 and 6 but, given his position, that is no mean showing. 

Little really struggled. He had some good moments but had zero encouragement. Frankly I think his time here is over. Not writing him off at this level, but it's becoming quite toxic with the crowd. Think he needs to go for his own career.

Thought Little was quite poor today. His first touch at times is just awful. The ball just seems to bobble when he tries to control and often when he passes. 

That said, positionally he did the right thing a couple of times and made the right decision. Good clearing headers but overall distribution just isn't consistent enough. 

Newcastle had shut the game down second half and with exception of hitting the post, did nothing because they just controlled it. Therefore Little wasn't really up against much. The long diagonal to their left winger was certainly a tactic in the first half.

I think a lot of the stick he gets is because people are expecting an error. A poor pass or miscontrol. And it happens frequently, so are people right? I understand confidence and form, but I think he's just not got the consistent quality required.

57 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

Not scapegoating or abusing players but surely surely everyone can finally see what a bad bad player he is at this level. Promotion season has been and gone. It's time for him to go an absolute embarrassment at this level.

Look at my posts ...I've been saying this for 18 months. In the end I just was laughing at him, even his own players can see how out of his depth he is

He hasn't looked as sharp since his shoulder injury at the end of the L1 promotion season.. But.. That's no longer an excuse he's had a whole season and this pre season to get to fitness. Unfortunately, I don't think he's up to it, not if we really want to challenge. Clearly low in confidence though which doesn't help.

On Freeman, I'm also starting to lose hope he will perform like he did a couple seasons ago. I don't think he's up to this level. Not quick, direct or agile enough to be a real winger and not clever, decisive or effective to be a central/ attacking midfielder. I think Bobby has over taken him for sure, and with O'Dowda, Kodjia, Bryan, Tomlin who can all play in those forward 3 positions as well for me I think it's time for him to get a new start somewhere, could do him good.

29 minutes ago, coxyboy said:

Look at my posts ...I've been saying this for 18 months. In the end I just was laughing at him, even his own players can see how out of his depth he is

I was having a good old chuckle with the people around me too. His shinner just before halftime that went out into the dugout was hilarious. 

A mixed one for me.  Thought we looked nice and solid whilst Matthews was on the pitch.  Looks like he was asked to play quite narrow to allow a Flint to go tight to Gayle when necessary.  The ball played out to Gouffran caused us no problems. When it got there he closed it quickly.

Did he doing his hammer for the goal, or was he feeling it beforehand?  I didn't notice.

Little did what was asked if his defensively, often our biggest criticism of him, but he looks shot confidence-wise with the ball at his feet.  For someone to say he was an embarrassment is embarrassing in itself.  

We are building a better squad, it doesn't happen overnight, and there will be players who are going to be squad players only, getting games because of injuries.  Little is that player at the mo'.  If Matthews is out for 8-10 weeks, we either get behind him and except he's not a star, or keep giving him stick and dent his confidence even more.

I expect LJ to bring someone in though.

1 hour ago, Fiale said:

What did he actually do ? I thought he was poor, held the ball to long, unable to get any crosses in, poor corners (the ones he took), lots of fancy step overs and running occasionally, but no product.

So who did produce "product" exactly? Did we have any shots on target or near misses? Enlighten me. Did Reid do anything Freeman didn't, coz I didn't see it.  

2 minutes ago, Leveller said:

So who did produce "product" exactly? Did we have any shots on target or near misses? Enlighten me. Did Reid do anything Freeman didn't, coz I didn't see it.  

Point me to anyone who said the same in reference to those players as the person I responded to who said " Freeman played brilliant today not sure what game you were watching " and /i would have posted the same - or do you think Freeman was brilliant today ?

25 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

Why do we always have to have one player to have as a scapegoat when the results go against us? In his day it was LJ, then Fontaine etc.. Little may not have had his best game but he wasn't the only one. Give the lad a chance, we can't afford to hound him out of the team.

If the criticism is accurate and justified, then he's not a scapegoat. I would say in this case the criticism is just that - there are good reasons why he has been identified as the weak link. He is clearly not of the quality of the rest of the team. People don't just pick a player at random.

Archived