IGNORED

If you don't sing you are a ****

BCFC@Frome

11 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

It's sad isn't it that some believe that "their way of supporting" is the only way and resort to abuse if we all don't follow their lead.

Fans like that forget that most of us would like to sing and shout for 90 minutes but aged lungs don't have the capacity.

Yes - it's all a bit sad. I cheered so much at the Wigan game that I literally lost my voice two days later and made a  'note to self' not shout/sing quite so much in future. Maybe.

Having a house mate with season tickets at Liverpool, I have also been to a few games at Anfield in the kop where they have lots of singing fans and create a good atmosphere at most games. The reason for the difference between atmospheres and willingness to sing at games is that a lot of the Liverpool songs are more creative and good songs that people want to sing. 

The only other thing I think is that if you really want to encourage your team then sing a song about individual players rather than about cider and fighting

4 minutes ago, Scrumpy said:

What would that achieve? A ban?

The guy is obviously a tosser and hasn't the brains to understand difference.

It's a shame that an older lady didn't tell him off. A chap who sits behind me was told off by the lady steward a couple of years ago, for abusing Basso. It certainly did the trick, he was well embarrassed…

13 hours ago, forbespm said:

There was a bloke at reading away who said similar stuff and we should be ashamed to call ourselves supporters."he was thrown out by the stewards thankfully.

Think that was the same guy at Colchester a couple of seasons ago.

17 hours ago, BCFC@Frome said:

Today I learnt something new about myself. Towards the end of the match in the South Stand a fellow City fan decided to stand up on 2 occasions and inform all the supporters sat around him and within shouting distance that we were all "c***s" for not singing. Also the fact we should all stay at home if we weren't going to sing.

It just baffles me that despite the fact we all support the same club some find the need to verbally abuse others. I understand swearing is part and parcel of the match day experience and have taught my son that what he hears at football stays at football. He knows it's things that are said in frustration, but he asked me why a City fan was shouting and swearing at other fans. Any help in explaining this would be great fully received.

Probably a moron who would also act like this.

17 hours ago, BCFC@Frome said:

Today I learnt something new about myself. Towards the end of the match in the South Stand a fellow City fan decided to stand up on 2 occasions and inform all the supporters sat around him and within shouting distance that we were all "c***s" for not singing. Also the fact we should all stay at home if we weren't going to sing.

It just baffles me that despite the fact we all support the same club some find the need to verbally abuse others. I understand swearing is part and parcel of the match day experience and have taught my son that what he hears at football stays at football. He knows it's things that are said in frustration, but he asked me why a City fan was shouting and swearing at other fans. Any help in explaining this would be great fully received.

I have taken advice from an elderly supporter who has informed that swearing at football matches hasnt always been part and  parcel of a match day experience. She informs me of standing on the Tote end in amongst the blue few and having nothing more than banter!!!

We do have some belters supporting our team, now that's part and parcel of a match day experience!!!

15 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

No, it's just my opinion. 

You have yours and I have mine. If they differ, it doesn't make it "complete and utter bollocks"! 

No evidence to measure it but if you could - I think a team with a stadium of 20,000 fans who sang and were vociferous all game would win more points over a season than the same team with the same stadium and 20,000 fans who didn't sing or support vociferously. 

Teams seem to raise their game in fantastic atmospheres. Look at Palace, Hartlepool, JPT Derby.. Anfield European nights.. Celtic have caused some big upsets at home.. the recurring theme? Big atmosphere.

Not condoning abusing your own fans. But I don't understand why a block in the south stand was not designated as a singing block. Not standing or unreserved. But just a 'singing' block where the louder fans could go. It seems quiet fans don't like having someone shouting behind them all game and loud fans get annoyed with quiet fans for not shouting. Would be much more constructive and beneficial to the atmosphere to put the more vocal together. ( I know the attributes is for this but obviously many vocal fans are in the south stand)

Maybe some people don't know the words and are to embarrassed to join in. A song sheet on every seat or handed out on entry may help. Positive enthusiasm goes a lot further than negative criticism. I used to attend matches years ago in the east end as a youngster,loved the singing, loved the atmosphere but and although I still do I sometimes feel uncomfortable at singing at the age of 59. Still young at heart but need some encouragement. The other comment I would make is that a lot of the songs are slightly boring. Revert to some of the older ones, yes that includes you'll never walk alone and we are forever blowing bubbles, they get the crowd going. 

2 hours ago, sodburyred said:

Not condoning abusing your own fans. But I don't understand why a block in the south stand was not designated as a singing block. Not standing or unreserved. But just a 'singing' block where the louder fans could go. It seems quiet fans don't like having someone shouting behind them all game and loud fans get annoyed with quiet fans for not shouting. Would be much more constructive and beneficial to the atmosphere to put the more vocal together. ( I know the attributes is for this but obviously many vocal fans are in the south stand)

I don't get the impression that anyone gets annoyed at people shouting (not where I sit anyway). I guess we don't shout in unison so the sound disperses, but it seemed quite loud and feisty yesterday, which I thought was great.

3 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No evidence to measure it but if you could - I think a team with a stadium of 20,000 fans who sang and were vociferous all game would win more points over a season than the same team with the same stadium and 20,000 fans who didn't sing or support vociferously. 

Teams seem to raise their game in fantastic atmospheres. Look at Palace, Hartlepool, JPT Derby.. Anfield European nights.. Celtic have caused some big upsets at home.. the recurring theme? Big atmosphere.

Yes I agree. Apparently it's "utter bollocks" though! 

7 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes I agree. Apparently it's "utter bollocks" though! 

I think it's because people think the implication is that if they don't sing etc they're 'worse' fans so think "I've paid my money I can support the team how I want" etc.

No one is saying that anyone is 'better' or 'worse', but I think a vocal home crowd has more of a positive influence on the game and makes it harder for the away team to win.

I was close to him when he had his little rant and the funny thing was that he was surrounded buy people who had been singing all match, it was just one of those natural quite minutes in a game yet he seamed unable to except that, every one just smiled and took no notice of him which is what he deserved,

On another note I have noticed a few new faces in the south stand this year who are trying a bit to hard to be super fans, hopefully they will carm down over the next few matches

Sacreligious I know, but i rather enjoy going to Ashton Gare to watch the football.  Of course I want my team to win, but what is most important to me is to have a good day out and be entertained.  I'm sorry, but most of the songs sung at Ashton Gate these days don't really merit close inspection (oh yes, we're the finest football team the world has ever seen...) and the notion that I am not a true supporter because I choose not to sing them is rather comical.  I'm afraid I still associate singing at football matches with being a lot younger, but then I grew up.  I suspect there are a lot like me. We love the club, we love the team and we love football; we just behave differently.

Why can't we all just get on?? We all want the same thing. We all share the same dreams for our club. So what if people don't want to sing?? What makes me laugh is that these "ultras" or "super fans" or "East Enders" or whatever they like to think they are, are usually* the guys who pay for the cheapest season tickets, spend their beer money in a pub until 5 mins before kick off instead of in the ground and have probably never set foot in the club shop because they don't believe grown men should be wearing football shirts/tracksuit tops etc. Basically they put the minimal amount in the clubs coffers. If everyone did the same the club wouldn't need a shop or catering facilities in the stadium. The club would be skint. Support comes in all different forms. Don't think that you are better than someone else because you believe everyone should be doing it the same way as you.

*usually, not in every cause obviously.

1 hour ago, jambodinho said:

Why can't we all just get on?? We all want the same thing. We all share the same dreams for our club. So what if people don't want to sing?? What makes me laugh is that these "ultras" or "super fans" or "East Enders" or whatever they like to think they are, are usually* the guys who pay for the cheapest season tickets, spend their beer money in a pub until 5 mins before kick off instead of in the ground and have probably never set foot in the club shop because they don't believe grown men should be wearing football shirts/tracksuit tops etc. Basically they put the minimal amount in the clubs coffers. If everyone did the same the club wouldn't need a shop or catering facilities in the stadium. The club would be skint. Support comes in all different forms. Don't think that you are better than someone else because you believe everyone should be doing it the same way as you.

*usually, not in every cause obviously.

Yet the original post concerns someone in the south stand which isn't who your post attempts to point blame at.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Yet the original post concerns someone in the south stand which isn't who your post attempts to point blame at.

True, but this thread has escalated  to the debate about people believing they are better supporters than others because they sing throughout the game. A debate we've had on here before due to the "East Enders" in the atyeo singing at other home stands and calling them c**ts. 

My take:

I like a louder atmosphere at the game, whether this is singing or just general vocal support. I think there are fans there who could make more effort...

Main reason:  I'm sure the players would prefer to have and respond to a louder stadium in the main .....but the reality is that performances don't always prompt a response from the crowd!

I understand that not all of the fans want to sing or can sing for whatever reason, get that totally and just paying money for a ticket is support for the club.

newcastle as a particular example was always going to attract a few neutrals or away fans in home end... I had a chap sat next to me say "Dwight gayle. Didn't you lot try to sign him last year?"

Archived