IGNORED

If you don't sing you are a ****

BCFC@Frome

Today I learnt something new about myself. Towards the end of the match in the South Stand a fellow City fan decided to stand up on 2 occasions and inform all the supporters sat around him and within shouting distance that we were all "c***s" for not singing. Also the fact we should all stay at home if we weren't going to sing.

It just baffles me that despite the fact we all support the same club some find the need to verbally abuse others. I understand swearing is part and parcel of the match day experience and have taught my son that what he hears at football stays at football. He knows it's things that are said in frustration, but he asked me why a City fan was shouting and swearing at other fans. Any help in explaining this would be great fully received.

I think it is just passion/frustration but still don't get the swearing at your own fans thing - I think it's a bit of a macho thing.

I heard my 13 y/o daughter join in with the chant of 'W@*!er! W@*!er!' for the first time today.  I didn't say anything - we just looked at each other and sort of smiled.

As long as she doesn't start calling me a **** if I choose not to sing/join in we'll probably just let it stay at football.

1 hour ago, BCFC@Frome said:

Today I learnt something new about myself. Towards the end of the match in the South Stand a fellow City fan decided to stand up on 2 occasions and inform all the supporters sat around him and within shouting distance that we were all "c***s" for not singing. Also the fact we should all stay at home if we weren't going to sing.

It just baffles me that despite the fact we all support the same club some find the need to verbally abuse others. I understand swearing is part and parcel of the match day experience and have taught my son that what he hears at football stays at football. He knows it's things that are said in frustration, but he asked me why a City fan was shouting and swearing at other fans. Any help in explaining this would be great fully received.

Clearly that bloke was a bit of a tosser, but...

A) why not sing..?

B) why whinge about it on here..?

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Obviously people who don't sing don't want to sing.  

Are you a better fan if you sing?

I do think fans who sing are more supportive, yes. 

What if nobody sang but the stadium was full. Would that be a supportive crowd? 

2 hours ago, MrBibs said:

I think it is just passion/frustration but still don't get the swearing at your own fans thing - I think it's a bit of a macho thing.

I heard my 13 y/o daughter join in with the chant of 'W@*!er! W@*!er!' for the first time today.  I didn't say anything - we just looked at each other and sort of smiled.

As long as she doesn't start calling me a **** if I choose not to sing/join in we'll probably just let it stay at football.

This is possibly the best post I've ever read on here. Touching, funny, a snapshot of a family moment, full of pathos and the whimsy of time passing as a child grows older and more independent from her father. What a lovely thing to share. Fair play MrBibs, I'm up at 2.30 am as I can't sleep after my little boy woke in the night (he's regained sleep now, I'm not ignoring him) and your comment has provided a moonbeam of light on a fairly dark run of threads I've been reading about the usual football fans calling each other c***s, punching wing mirrors, and online arguing about whether you should be allowed to mouth off as an away fan in the corporate home areas etc etc.

"I didn't say anything - we just looked at each other and sort of smiled." That's beautiful, that. Reminds me of the Listening Project on Radio 4. And your finishing line has made me proper chuckle!

3 hours ago, MrBibs said:

As long as she doesn't call you it it's fine :facepalm:

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Clearly that bloke was a bit of a tosser, but...

A) why not sing..?

B) why whinge about it on here..?

A) I do but not constantly for 90 minutes.

B) Because it's a forum,  a place to air views and ask questions or even discuss things with other supporters.

Suggest the so called c***'s respond by singing.....

A few chorus lines from the following song and change "I'm an...." to "YOU'RE an...." while pointing in his direction...

(contains some offensive lyrics... dont play if easily offended - if it stops some people from being A S S H O L E 's in public  then its worth it :) )

We had 3/4 idiots sat a few rows behind behind us too. They were sarcastically saying if they sing they would get a fine or be asked to leave or not be allowed to come back next week because they disrupt others peoples enjoyment of the game. If they said it once, fair enough, but they said it EVERYTIME any sort of noise was made. They were possibly the least funny people I have ever had the displeasure of overhearing a conversation. The girl in the group had a laugh like she'd swallowing 1000 c*cks and t the end of the game I turned to look at them and my God, she was the most horrendous looking bint I have ever seen.

For people who wanted to sing and create an atmosphere, they had no idea how to do it. I heard them talking about how no one in the South Stand wanted to create an atmosphere and we should all go home. So between the few of them they started a voice breaking chant of "Red Army". They did this while Tammy Abraham was down injured in the Newcastle box.... Not when we were on an attack or anything... while the game had stopped...

Idiots!

5 hours ago, EnclosureSurge said:

This is possibly the best post I've ever read on here. Touching, funny, a snapshot of a family moment, full of pathos and the whimsy of time passing as a child grows older and more independent from her father. What a lovely thing to share. Fair play MrBibs, I'm up at 2.30 am as I can't sleep after my little boy woke in the night (he's regained sleep now, I'm not ignoring him) and your comment has provided a moonbeam of light on a fairly dark run of threads I've been reading about the usual football fans calling each other c***s, punching wing mirrors, and online arguing about whether you should be allowed to mouth off as an away fan in the corporate home areas etc etc.

"I didn't say anything - we just looked at each other and sort of smiled." That's beautiful, that. Reminds me of the Listening Project on Radio 4. And your finishing line has made me proper chuckle!

Thanks Surge, that's a nice thing to read.

It is strange to me that we would call each other C**** for not singing, particularly as we are on the same side and share the love of this great but massively frustrating, underachieving club.  I love to sing/shout/rant as much as most and my kid always wants to go in the noisiest part of the ground so I'm glad that there are people to start chants and gee up the rest of those THAT WANT TO SING.

Make sure you enjoy every bit of your boy growing up - even being woken up at 2.30.  It all goes in the blink of an eye. Before you know it you'll be embarrassing him just by breathing!  Mine still genuinely believes City will win every game so still has a whole world of growing up to do. 

I love what S82 do, mainly for how much my kid loves it.  Whilst they use the odd C word in their chants they do at least direct it at our visiting guests (or at worst to a different stand).

9 hours ago, BCFC@Frome said:

guarantee the same person won't be at the gate when we play Rotherham or Preston at home, just saying this sort of supporter turns up one in a blue moon takes out all there anger and then thankfully disappears again then say "they are the true supporters" :)

I myself do sing most of the time but would never start singing because of the demands from some drunken clown.

Archived