IGNORED

Tomlin.

cityred2000

Thought yesterday Tomlin showed what he can really do when being played in the middle. Yeah, he did make a couple of mistakes (stray passes) which IMO are understandable considering the pressing that Newcastle did at times. But he looked more like last seasons Tomlin however without the final product. He made experienced Prem players look silly at times with his clever feet and beating them on the half turn. He really is a wasted player on the wing and despite not starting the season with a bang, he looked back on form yday. 

Everyone else's thoughts? Anybody disagree with what I've said?

He wants the ball all the time, so when he plays centrally he does drop a little deep sometimes, but up the middle has to be where he should be played.

Some lovely touches and interplay which against lesser defences would have gotten goals. 

Still our key man and is improving every game.

To get the best it of Tomlin he needs to play as a 10 or at the top of a diamond. You could argue that's the same position but yesterday he played some smart passes and used his trickery playing as an attacking midfielder. 

Sure he wandered around at times looking for space but no doubt at all that he's our most creative player.

Played far too deep yesterday. Came back to collect it from Flint and Hordur on a number of occasions. He and Bobby were interchanging but that's why Korey will be such a boost. It'll allow Tomlin to stay forward where he can do what he does. 

Must say I'm pretty concerned about how he's getting booked for mouthing off. Even after he was booked he didn't stop. I think he was saying that he'd been caught in the challenge and was pointing it out to the ref and LJ. 

After we conceded he spent a good couple of mins giving Abraham an earful in the centre circle. Geaturing and clearly mouthing at him. Tammy put his hands out as if to say what more can I do, or that it wasn't his fault. 

As good as Tomlin can be, I hope he can put a lid on this side of his game a bit. I've got nothing against passion, determination and demanding the best from your team mates but it has the danger to cost us games and points if he winds the ref up. 

I think he plays deeper when the ball doesn't quickly enough, slow build up's mean all the space will be taken so he has to move back to look for it. Not necessarily a bad thing if he's pulling the defence around. He is the one player who can not only spot a pass but deliver it perfectly.

I think he plays deeper when the ball doesn't quickly enough, slow build up's mean all the space will be taken so he has to move back to look for it. Not necessarily a bad thing if he's pulling the defence around. He is the one player who can not only spot a pass but deliver it perfectly.

12 minutes ago, KevP said:

I jest Shelts, I jest !!!

Some lovely touches yesterday starting to pull a few strings, hope he can turn it on when it's not quite the occasion it was yesterday. Behind the front two for me and defo not picking up the ball from centre alfs. 

As for your jest.....nice one I Getz it!!

Tomlin playing behind Kodjia was the successful formula last season. Seems like LJ is attempting to shoe horn Tomlin, Abraham and Kodjia into the team and disrupting what was a success last season. Kodjia on the right is a waste of a 20 goal a season striker and Tomlin on the left makes him less effective. I think LJ needs to consider who he wants to up top either Kodjia or Abraham playing in front of Tomlin in the number 10 role, and put the other on the bench to bring on later. 

15 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Good assessment.  Pleased to see him back.  Needs to cut out his moaning at ref - justified or not - as it will be a shame to lose him for mouthing off.

Agree. Needs to keep his gob shut. And he's getting wound up by nothing.  

Archived