IGNORED

Celtic fans raise cash for Palestinian charities

PunkRockDad

I'm no lover of Celtic fans generally but I applaud them unreservedly over the flag protest they held last week.

The Israelis are brutal oppressors who treat the Palestinians like dirt, massacre them by the thousand and continue to flout that laughable concept "International Law" with impunity. Their teams should be  ostracized. If an Israeli team came to AG I'd do the same thing.

However, I wouldn't be going to the away leg if I was a Celtic supporter. Guaranteed hassle from the Israeli authorities.

Yes, exactly. This protest was definitely in that spirit.

They do tend to be selective about which oppressed people they support though - a Palestinian living under Israeli apartheid? - sure thing. A Falklander whose land is coveted by Argentinian colonists? Not so much.

8 hours ago, AzerbaijanApeman said:

I'm no lover of Celtic fans generally but I applaud them unreservedly over the flag protest they held last week.

The Israelis are brutal oppressors who treat the Palestinians like dirt, massacre them by the thousand and continue to flout that laughable concept "International Law" with impunity. Their teams should be  ostracized. If an Israeli team came to AG I'd do the same thing.

However, I wouldn't be going to the away leg if I was a Celtic supporter. Guaranteed hassle from the Israeli authorities.

Couldn't agree more.

They continue to steal land by building settlements on the Occupied Territories and divert water supplies away from the land they haven't stolen as well. Aided of course by their major benefactor and protector America.

Still baffled why as a non European nation they were ever allowed to compete in all European competitions.

25 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

There is a nasty whiff of anti semitism creeping in, from those who do not understand the facts of a complex situation.  Opinion is one thing, uninformed opinion and prejudice something quite different.

Ivorguy, you are wrong only in your use of "whiff" rather than "stench". All racism is disgusting however much the racist insists they are not racist. The stench cuts through the weasel words....

10 hours ago, PunkRockDad said:

MAP seem more interested in abusing Israel and supporting terror attacks than anything to do with medicine.

should have given the money to an unbiased charity 

6 minutes ago, Renaissance Dolman said:

Ivorguy, you are wrong only in your use of "whiff" rather than "stench". All racism is disgusting however much the racist insists they are not racist. The stench cuts through the weasel words....

Here we go.  There's a difference between criticising the actions of the Israeli state and being anti-semitic.  That's not to say some individuals can't manage both, but being anti-Zionist doesn't necessarily mean you hate Jews.  

Anti semitic v Anti Zionist

To criticise the Nazis doesn't make you anti-german.  

(And now I've mentioned the Nazis can we close he thread?)

4 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

(And now I've mentioned the Nazis can we close he thread?)

If only this rule applied to the non football chat forum.....

My thoughts were generic and aimed at racism in general rather than specifically to this thread - however, there are no sacred cows. If people with whom we agree are racist that's as bad as anyone else.

...and I do understand the motivation behind the creation of the Israeli state given the persecution of the Jews by the Nazis and almost every nation in Europe at some time.  However, for a persecuted minority to create a state (through the use of violence let's not forget) and then systematically inflict injustices on a minority within its borders in also reprehensible.  Everyone deserves the same protection and justice under international law.  

How helping Palestinians in need has lead to cries of anti-semitism is beyond me but nothing should surprise me when the 'c' word get mentioned.

7 minutes ago, Renaissance Dolman said:

If only this rule applied to the non football chat forum.....

My thoughts were generic and aimed at racism in general rather than specifically to this thread - however, there are no sacred cows. If people with whom we agree are racist that's as bad as anyone else.

That's an interesting line of argument.  So because I support Bristol City I agree with the City fans that abused the Newcastle fans at the weekend?  Or am as bad as them? 

No one can understand the motivation of every Celtic fan that contributed, but in and of itself helping some poor Palestinians stuck in refugee camp for decades is a commendable action in my book.  

Their "protest" was aimed at a side that has integrated Jewish and Arab players and enjoys Jewish and Arab support.  Which just goes to show the shaky grasp of reality the "Green Brigade" has. 

I wonder if they'd drawn a Russian team they'd all be carrying Ukrainian flags...

It was disrespectful and off-putting to the visitors and Celtic should be bunged out the competition rather than just fined as there is no way you can bring that number of flags into a stadium without stewards and officials complicity.

Raise money for charities if you like and protest against the actions of the Israeli government by all means,  but  chose your targets with a bit more intelligence  and keep it out of sport.

13 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

That's an interesting line of argument.  So because I support Bristol City I agree with the City fans that abused the Newcastle fans at the weekend?  Or am as bad as them? 

No one can understand the motivation of every Celtic fan that contributed, but in and of itself helping some poor Palestinians stuck in refugee camp for decades is a commendable action in my book.  

Try thinking about what has been said rather than making a knee jerk assumption that I've said what you think a right wing fascist ought to have said.

I'm trying to be supportive of the general ideology of this thread but have agreed that there are some anti Semitic feelings that sometimes overlap support for the Palestinian civilians.

your second and third sentences above are complete non sequiturs to anything that I said, by the way.

Anyway, as you said, the Nazis have been mentioned - I'm off to avoid entanglement in a never ending OTIB circular argument!

4 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Their "protest" was aimed at a side that has integrated Jewish and Arab players and enjoys Jewish and Arab support.  Which just goes to show the shaky grasp of reality the "Green Brigade" has. 

I wonder if they'd drawn a Russian team they'd all be carrying Ukrainian flags...

It was disrespectful and off-putting to the visitors and Celtic should be bunged out the competition rather than just fined as there is no way you can bring that number of flags into a stadium without stewards and officials complicity.

Raise money for charities if you like and protest against the actions of the Israeli government by all means,  but  chose your targets with a bit more intelligence  and keep it out of sport.

Interesting points, not something I was aware of. I tend to see such displays as much "Look at us! Look what we're doing!" and "No one's doing what we're doing!" and about distancing themselves from Rangers and Brits and bulldogs and right-wing thinking, as anything else. Would they be doing this without all the photos they knew would be taken, without all the ensuing fuss and attention - isn't it just a clever group selfie?

Hi-jacking Football ( or any other sport) for the sake of political protest is, imo, just plain wrong.

One of the main reasons I love to watch City or various other sports - especially the Olympics is because it takes you away from everyday political worries in the world. But using football to educate where appropriate ( i.e. racism) or the brilliant job that BCFC, Dolly and everyone did for young Oskar and others is using sport for good.

I just wonder how many of the same Celtic fans would attend a rally/protest on the same issue if they weren't playing an Israeli team? I wonder how many flag wavers actually know the political problems of a country reviled in the Arab world and who Iran has said in recent years should be exterminated? There are two sides to this story and neither of them particularly nice.

I just wonder how many of those flag waving protesting fans felt it might give them an advantage in a football match for a club who continually drops out of European competitions at the early stages. Football , in UK at least, should not stray into political protest especially during a match.

Scunthorpe1 City 3. Kodjia to open his account.

39 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Absolutely spot on RR and the childish comparisons to 'what about Rangers?', they have been out of Europe and the limelight in general for several years but no doubt their time will come because they will like the Celtic will be incapable of suppressing their own brand of bigotry.

And during the lead up to this game a website organising this protest abused a Celtic player of course I expect it was coincidental that he happened to be jewish.

http://thetab.com/uk/2016/08/09/nus-delegate-posts-extreme-anti-semitic-comments-facebook-13489

and this is now at least the 2nd time that they have done this.

http://jewishnews.timesofisrael.com/israeli-biton-abused-celtic-fans/

1 hour ago, Renaissance Dolman said:

If people with whom we agree are racist that's as bad as anyone else.

Apologies.  To be honest I didn't really understand your last point and took the worst interpretation.  Expect the worst on here, but should have given you the benefit of doubt. 

Archived