IGNORED

Lee Trundle

PunkRockDad

Just loves playing football.

I feel like we never used him to his potential, the sort of player you have to almost build the team around - like Tomlin or JET - to get the best out of. Was never going to be at his best in our hardworking, super fit 07/08 side. Far too disciplined.

Had his brilliant moments for us though, Burnley at home, Palace and was it a halfway line chip against Birmingham? 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I feel like we never used him to his potential, the sort of player you have to almost build the team around - like Tomlin or JET - to get the best out of. Was never going to be at his best in our hardworking, super fit 07/08 side. Far too disciplined.

Had his brilliant moments for us though, Burnley at home, Palace and was it a halfway line chip against Birmingham? 

Agreed. He paid his transfer fee with that goal at Palace! Bizarrely GJ played him upfront on his own majority of time?!?!?

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Scunthorpe at home!

Similar strip/colours, but....

19 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Scunthorpe at home!

Similar strip/colours, but....

That's the one, didn't we play both early season? Both his finishes that game were majestic. 

25 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

Agreed. He paid his transfer fee with that goal at Palace! Bizarrely GJ played him upfront on his own majority of time?!?!?

I wonder if really was a GJ signing. At the time, SL seemed to like his big gestures, well he always has done. It did make quite a statement at the time, £1m got you a lot more player for your money and that wasn't even 10 years ago!

Would've loved to see him play in this current side as part of a front 2.

15 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That's the one, didn't we play both early season? Both his finishes that game were majestic. 

I wonder if really was a GJ signing. At the time, SL seemed to like his big gestures, well he always has done. It did make quite a statement at the time, £1m got you a lot more player for your money and that wasn't even 10 years ago!

I guess we will never know Phileas. Also was it really less than a decade ago we were stealing Swansea City's best player?!?!?!?

All about opinions and I know many with the same as SecretSam but for me Trunds was not used correctly whilst here. He came here with no pre season under his belt after the transfer to here went on for what seemed likes ages then as said previously GJ played him upfront on his own?!?

3 minutes ago, redcherryberry said:

You wasn't a fan was you Spud?

I liked Trundle...but as you know, not used to the best of his abilities whilst here.

In saying that...so many others were as well....not there fault.

Tbh...I like flair players, but it seems we never know how to play them here. Trundle, Noble, JET and Tomlin to a degree.

They give you magic moments, but also headaches ;-)

I work in mental health and around two years back, attended an open day held by a local mental health project in a small rural town in West Wales.  Trundle and Swansea City Chairman Huw Jenkins both attended - They were among the first there on the afternoon and very last to leave.

It was brilliant - Penalty competition with Trundle in goals (5 A-side goals), basic skills sessions, photographs and so forth.  Every service user (around 15-20 on the project) were given Swansea City shirts.   

It was awesome to observe the way both were with the service users.  Neither Trundle nor Huw Jenkins could have given more - Hugely heartwarming.

From past experiences I hate the use of the term " Service Users " when referring to people usually in mental health situations.  I told the Manager of my late sister's care home that I would personally strangle any member of her staff that I heard using the term. Resident, in this case, would suffice.

Rant over, I believe Trundle was past his best when we signed him and I am sure Swansea could not believe their luck in getting one million for him which helped them on their way in transforming their club.

13 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

From past experiences I hate the use of the term " Service Users " when referring to people usually in mental health situations.  I told the Manager of my late sister's care home that I would personally strangle any member of her staff that I heard using the term. Resident, in this case, would suffice.

Rant over, I believe Trundle was past his best when we signed him and I am sure Swansea could not believe their luck in getting one million for him which helped them on their way in transforming their club.

I understand your perspective though am not too sure it is for you or I to decide.  Ultimately it is for those people attending projects, residing at care homes and so forth, to decide for themselves; where capacity allows.

In regard to the mental health project I mentioned, while some say they prefer the term 'client', the consensus among those people who regularly attend the project is that they wish to be referred to as 'service users', hence my use of the term.

PRD, I take your point in respect of choice but in my, and many other people's situation our relatives were incapable of making any choices and to hear those words being used by carers referring to our loved ones was to say the least upsetting. It was as though the recipient was just being served up a service and not being " cared for".

We have seen the explosion of furore on OTIB when City supporters are called "customers" and not fans because they have the opportunity to voice their opinion. I guess I was just voicing my opinion on behalf of my family over the sister we loved.

24 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

PRD, I take your point in respect of choice but in my, and many other people's situation our relatives were incapable of making any choices and to hear those words being used by carers referring to our loved ones was to say the least upsetting. It was as though the recipient was just being served up a service and not being " cared for".

We have seen the explosion of furore on OTIB when City supporters are called "customers" and not fans because they have the opportunity to voice their opinion. I guess I was just voicing my opinion on behalf of my family over the sister we loved.

Not sure which term would be best to use to be honest, I have never come across it being an issue with "service user" and the term does seem to have been used for a long time

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Dont know about anyone else but i thought a million was probably too much for Lee, even back then.. What was he, 32 when he came here? With barely any experience at this level? Unique talent or not it was still A lot of dough IMO.

17 hours ago, redcherryberry said:

Agree about the former, but that's not my recollection of the latter, Enoch, Darren Byfield, Ivan Sproule and latterly Adebola all partnered him at times for most of the games he started, as we played a very rigid 4-4-2.

Although Sproule was a winger, Scotty or Brian Wilson played on the right as GJ used Ivan to try and counteract Trundle's complete lack of pace.

As for the signing itself, I simply think we bought him when he was about 2 years past his best, as his subsequent career showed..

Archived