IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Aston Villa Match Day Thread

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

At half time decided to get a few jobs done around the house  to lift the depression that was settling over Chez Downend and only just come back online  to see how things have gone.

Have to say LJ must be bl00dy inspiring in the dressing room at half time. He has an inate ability to make changes that change the game.

P.S. How good a goalscorer is Abraham?

P.P.S Kodjia - who?

Rafa Benitez said after last week's game that they played defensively because City had a manager who could change systems during a game, the implication being that most can't. Praise from a coach of his pedigree counts for a lot and reinforces the view that LJ is well respected in the game. SC had one system and would not change it whatever happened, a big part of his downfall.

1 minute ago, BigTone said:

I'll take the 3-1 win and the embarrassment of being completely wrong in my prediction

Yes Tone, I was sitting here complaining about them in the first half, but nobody can complain about the performance in the second. Just think what we could do if we played for 90 minutes like that in every game. probably not possible but who knows!

2 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

After Newcastle Norwich and villa,who would of thought it

image.png

Nobody would have predicted that top 6! There are a number of new or relatively new coaches/managers having a big impact so far in that lot.

Note too that Fulham sold 2 top strikers and it isn't hurting them so far.

9 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

It s just JK was going to have such a great season... It will depend totally on who we sign. If it is a Prem club that takes him, well I can accept that, it's just Derby... Also we have done well to sell on a number of other players for a profit . 

I understand but a Derby gain this year means a gain for us for the next couple at that much. 

Mark Little. Really seemed to struggle 1st half and made some bad positioning decisions. However, whilst seemingly alot of people's whipping boy for this season he did markedly improve in that 2nd half along with the rest of the team. Easy to single him out as a weakness in the team at the moment but it is a team out there that deserves encouragement and support. While he is there and currently our main option he gets my support as much as the person smashing it in the back of the net. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

Please can I have a drink of whatever they gave the team at half time. 

The closes you will get is the sweat from LJ's balls - I have no idea what he said to those players at half time, but our pressing, passing and movement in the 2nd half was excellent. What an amazing game.

• Like 1

Worst first half I've seen for a while, fantastic final half from the goal onwards although up til that point it was hard to see where it was coming from.

Tammy was excellent leading the line and a goal and assist on his own up there against Villa is something to be proud of. That kid seems to have it all. 

Tomlin ran the game in the second half and Joe Bryan came into it more and more. The confidence from the goal flowed and it got better and better with a special free kick from Tomlin for which Hodor should get an assist for a really smart bit of deception. 

The starting shape lacked width and was weak defensively on the right side early on (Reid covering for Freeman in front of Little isn't a combination I am keen to see in future) but as movement improved and passing began it improved. 

Very enjoyable all in all despite the best efforts of the match officials and I think we'll have a solid season. A special word for Villa, 45 minutes of complacency followed by 45 minutes of spineless surrender make it easy to see how they were relegated and they won't be in the mix this season for me, I think they are in for a long stay here. 

Well done City, credit to the players, manager and all the people at the club involved in a very successful transfer window that has definitely improved our first team immeasurably. 

• Like 6

I see on Sky Sports website that "Villa squandered the lead".  Not that City put three past them in an inspired second half performance.  Reminds me of every time Serena Williams is beaten.  The headline is always about her losing rather than her opponent winning.  It's just this 'big club/superstar' mentality.

Edited by Atlanta_Red
  • Like 7