IGNORED

Club record signing is...

JasonM88

7 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

SL mentions the impact of foreign (particularly Chinese) ownership upon spiralling transfer prices. He cited Villa, Wolves and WBA. Because of the size of transfer fees now, resulting in over £1bn being spent during the last window, it's imperative that we continue to follow the present model of buying [relatively] cheaper and selling much higher as well as developing talent through our Academy.

Reinforcing @Olé's earlier post, SL said he should have recognised the perils of making his comment regarding not selling JK to another Championship team but he never expected one of them to meet our valuation. He apologised for anyone who thought that he was going against his promise but JK through his action at Scunny showed that he no longer wanted to be with us and also, it's an unbelievable amount of money which we simply couldn't turn down.

Yes I was interested in that. He said that he thought that they might not realise the value of money in football and be trying to spend their way to success. He also said that he wasn't sure how sustainable the current situation was. Will be interesting to see how that pans out.

34 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree you can't include a theoretical sell on in a deal value but you can when realised

Its a matter of record on the club site re the original fee (20th July 15) being 3m euro. So to get to the £3.25m final fee it has to include the sell on, as we wouldn't have paid as much as £1m last season based on goals/games.

Put it this way; this time last week Tomlin was probably our record buy, Kodjia became it on Tuesday when we realised the sell on clause 

I'd heard a rumour the 2.2m figure was a little far fetched before, as it was only quoting the base fee - SL seems to confirm that in his interview.

The record doesn't have to tell the whole truth, and evidently it doesn't!

Well I just watched the 3 minutes on you tube. And SL is explaining the JK transfer and how he didn't want to play . Regardless of what SL said regarding the transfer he got it absolutely spot on . He has nothing to apologise for . We are so lucky to have a man like that in charge of our football club . He admits he has made mistakes haven't we all 

1 hour ago, Olé said:

So it's official. Kodjia refused to play away at Scunthorpe. Great player last season but thought this was a rumour, gone down massively in my estimation, quite used to players moving on from our club but simply refusing to play for any club while contracted is despicable, childish, classless and many other things. Players now have all the power, why do they need to play games like this to exert even more control.

Choose not to contribute to the team and let down all your teammates? **** off to Villa and fail miserably with your ridiculous Michael Jackson plaster cast and Two Ronnies glasses.

I think this also settles the issue of what sort of reception he'll get when he comes back.

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

I agree you can't include a theoretical sell on in a deal value but you can when realised

Its a matter of record on the club site re the original fee (20th July 15) being 3m euro. So to get to the £3.25m final fee it has to include the sell on, as we wouldn't have paid as much as £1m last season based on goals/games.

Put it this way; this time last week Tomlin was probably our record buy, Kodjia became it on Tuesday when we realised the sell on clause 

So when Villa sell him on & we get some cash in, Tommo becomes our record signing again!!!

28 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

Well I just watched the 3 minutes on you tube. And SL is explaining the JK transfer and how he didn't want to play . Regardless of what SL said regarding the transfer he got it absolutely spot on . He has nothing to apologise for . We are so lucky to have a man like that in charge of our football club . He admits he has made mistakes haven't we all 

Better this than a Berahino/West Brom situation developing. The "equilibrium of the group" is paramount. Well done all.

1 hour ago, Olé said:

So it's official. Kodjia refused to play away at Scunthorpe. Great player last season but thought this was a rumour, gone down massively in my estimation, quite used to players moving on from our club but simply refusing to play for any club while contracted is despicable, childish, classless and many other things. Players now have all the power, why do they need to play games like this to exert even more control.

Choose not to contribute to the team and let down all your teammates? **** off to Villa and fail miserably with your ridiculous Michael Jackson plaster cast and Two Ronnies glasses.

Agree with all of that Rob, well except the glasses bit, I thought they suited him...

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Having not seen the interview I'm happy to stand corrected if that's the case.

I am however stunned that we agreed to pay an extra £1m (or 50% of up front fee) for 40 games/20 goals in first season. That feels intuitively high

How can it seem high if he's just achieved that and by doing so, has increased his value to £11/15million. 

It's good business all round, for all parties involved. 

2 hours ago, BCFC in my DNA 1957 said:

I can honestly say from someone who is also an exile from Bristol...having been using player for a number of years its well worth the £4 odds per month standing order...whereby I and the missus can listen to live commentary...home or away. It's also great to read the live Twitter wall throughout the match..seeing a goal scored seconds before its actually announced!!!

COYR

As a fellow exile I can say I had it a few years ago and gave up in disgust as it constantly failed to work. I would try to login around 2:30 and get increasingly irate as kick off approached and it refused to connect.

At the time lots of posters on here said they had the same problems. Is it reliable enough now to make it worth trying and not expect to be driven mad by it?

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

As a fellow exile I can say I had it a few years ago and gave up in disgust as it constantly failed to work. I would try to login around 2:30 and get increasingly irate as kick off approached and it refused to connect.

At the time lots of posters on here said they had the same problems. Is it reliable enough now to make it worth trying and not expect to be driven mad by it?

Meh, The commentry is usually 2-5 minutes behind which can be annoying but in general I have no issues with either logging in or accessing the videos.

The service isnt perfect but in general provides a great service for extended access.(Whether it should be free or not is another issue)

3 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

I am however stunned that we agreed to pay an extra £1m (or 50% of up front fee) for 40 games/20 goals in first season. That feels intuitively high

I thought that Angers were asking a lot more than we paid, so it would be likely that there would have been biggish add-ons.

4 hours ago, Olé said:

It's official in the words of SL.  That is only one side of it though.  Not disputing it, just trying to say that it's not always quite black and white, might be the odd shade of grey. Of course Jimmy might've been sounded out re a Derby bid at the time, but LJ may not have even been considering starting him, e.g. Resting him and Tammy for Villa.  It doesn't really matter.  Jimmy gave his best for us every time he pulled on a shirt, no need to sour it.  The fact that SL says that we shouldn't think bad of him I think suggests there was a bit of grey to it!

4 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

Perhaps SCO Angers had other clubs sniffing, or we wanted a deal done quickly.  

35 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Kodjia is the past.  In thirty years time very few City fans will have a clue who he was, as many now have forgotten Arthur Milton's half season that got us promotion.

NB Arthur only one of two players to represent England at cricket and football

Did Arthur Milton play in the mid 80s then :whistle:

15 hours ago, Silvio Dante said:

On the basis that his 20 goals were probably the biggest contribution to keeping us up last year, I would imagine SL was delighted to write the cheque and probably hand delivered it with a big bunch of flowers as well...

One thing in this transfer is notable by its absence. As far as I can see, no Bristol City player posted good luck messages to Kodjia when he left.

In fact, there wasn't even a good luck message from the club. Ayling, Williams and Waggy all got specific tweets thanking them and wishing them the best from the club. 

The silence on Kodjia was deafening and speaks volumes about his standing in our dressing room at the time of his departure IMO.

11 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

Kodjia is the past.  In thirty years time very few City fans will have a clue who he was, as many now have forgotten Arthur Milton's half season that got us promotion.

NB Arthur only one of two players to represent England at cricket and football

Not by me! And not even half a season. 14 matches only, enough to get his Championship medal.

1 hour ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

One thing in this transfer is notable by its absence. As far as I can see, no Bristol City player posted good luck messages to Kodjia when he left.

In fact, there wasn't even a good luck message from the club. Ayling, Williams and Waggy all got specific tweets thanking them and wishing them the best from the club. 

The silence on Kodjia was deafening and speaks volumes about his standing in our dressing room at the time of his departure IMO.

You beat me to it.

For however trivial his posting articles of other clubs wanting to sign him on Facebook and then wiping his social media accounts of links to Bristol City seemed at the time, all the little things - plus the very big thing of refusing to play - are adding up to paint a not brilliant picture of him.

I like JK as a player, but there's not even an ounce of me that's disappointed he's no longer ours - even without the big-name replacement many called for.

18 hours ago, flipflopcity said:

Most interviews, game highlights etc are on UTUBE for free .. it's the people who Pay for "Player" who don't always get a good deal.. they might get to see the INFO first but it's usually on Utube soon after.

Not really, you get about a 30 second interview on YouTube taken from a  5 minute interview on player. Like I said in my previous post , it should be free but at £4 a month it's not expensive. 

• Admin
1 minute ago, steviestevieneville said:

Not really, you get about a 30 second interview on YouTube taken from a  5 minute interview on player. Like I said in my previous post , it should be free but at £4 a month it's not expensive. 

Especially now they show the whole game on there a couple of days later.

18 hours ago, cynic said:

The stuff on youtube is just a taster.

You may get a minute or two of an interview which lasts for 10 minutes on Player.

The Lansdown interview was very insightful for instance.

10 seconds of highlights on youtube when the whole match is on Player.

Home and away commentaries - the quality isn't that great but at least its there.

Is Player the same commentary as Radio Bristol?

14 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree, what I was meaning was that if you were unable to fund the £4 a month..  YouTube was an alternative.

Archived