IGNORED

City 2016 vs City 1976

SecretSam

8 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Totally different sporting eras. The team of 40 years ago wouldn't be able to keep up with the endurance, strength and fitness of the current team. Based on that, today's team comfortably as the team from 76 would be chasing shadows by 20 mins in.

Drysdale could run all day....he still does! :P

42 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Totally different sporting eras. The team of 40 years ago wouldn't be able to keep up with the endurance, strength and fitness of the current team. Based on that, today's team comfortably as the team from 76 would be chasing shadows by 20 mins in.

All true but what would happen if Dicks' team was transported to the present and allowed time to reach modern levels of fitness and learn present day tactics. I reckon they could well win, they were a talented, well balanced side with incredible team spirit.

6 minutes ago, cider head said:

To be honest if today's team had to play under 1970's game rules they would get kicked off the park let alone played off the park, you had to be hard back then as the likes of Gow and Hunter would eat you for breakfast although they could play a bit to.

Agreed. It's a shame those two are remembered by many only for the rough stuff. They were two of the finest reds ever.

7 minutes ago, cider head said:

To be honest if today's team had to play under 1970's game rules they would get kicked off the park let alone played off the park, you had to be hard back then as the likes of Gow and Hunter would eat you for breakfast although they could play a bit to.

Conversely, if the 70s team had to play under today`s rules half of them would be sent off by half time.

Changed a fair bit over the years this game we love hasn`t it?

9 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Conversely, if the 70s team had to play under today`s rules half of them would be sent off by half time.

Changed a fair bit over the years this game we love hasn`t it?

True bits changed for the good and not so good and where I see George best as the greatest ever as playing fantastic football on ploughed up pitches with real hard men trying to kick lumps out of him with no bookings in sight. However I would still take the 70's early 80's game as it was a real contact sport and no diving like they had just been shot.

I would take the 70's team to edge it on the few games I have seen but also we have not seen this current set gel or the best of them yet so is it too early to judge?

Also how would the current set compare to Bob Taylor and Jaki's era?

2 minutes ago, cider head said:

True bits changed for the good and not so good and where I see George best as the greatest ever as playing fantastic football on ploughed up pitches with real hard men trying to kick lumps out of him with no bookings in sight. However I would still take the 70's early 80's game as it was a real contact sport and no diving like they had just been shot.

I would take the 70's team to edge it on the few games I have seen but also we have not seen this current set gel or the best of them yet so is it too early to judge?

Also how would the current set compare to Bob Taylor and Jaki's era?

Now that is a lot more tricky! More skilful players in that side but still some hard men like Robbie T. I think that side might just edge it purely because of players like Super Bob or Jacki (if he could be bothered that day) who could win the game on their own.

2 minutes ago, cider head said:

A few names from the 76 team still hold records for being in the top 20 all time goal scorers so they had plenty of goals in them. 

Sir Paul being the one of all city legends that still hurts me for all of life's wot-cud-of-beens, I know it's old ground but the man, the legend, The Cheese, no-one back in 76 could mark him, I doubt if a defender born since those days would stand a chance, my ******* heroe, sorry, rambling again x

I think it's a disservice to the Alan Dicks team of the 70s to assume the present team would easily win due to extra fitness. The Dicks team had a lot of excellent players. Most were under rated but Arsenal made a joint bid of £244k for Geoff Merrick and Tom Richie. This may seem like peanuts, but at the time it was a lot of money, and the board was under pressure to sell due to the poor finances of the club. Luckily they refused. 

If there was a match between the two teams, I think the deciding factor would be whether it was the  team that finished the 1975-6 season or that which played in the 1976-7 season. If the former, Paul Cheesley would be fit and, together with Richie would give Flint and Magnusson a hard time. If the latter, Cheesley would be missing due to injury. In the one match he was fit in Division 1 he gave the Arsenal defence the run around 

Old times and old timers:-

Sent off by half time?

Poor old Ernie Peacock wouldn't have made it beyond the first 5 minutes

By the way in terms of rules and playing conditions of the past the two things I miss most are:

1. The old square goalposts with many more shots going in off those posts

2. Shoulder charging the goalkeeper.  Big John Atyeo charging some wimp goalkeeper into the back of his own net to score for City will remain with me forever. Nothing like it today.

I saw that 1976 team and they were a good side. People say the fitness is better now but in those days you were only allowed one sub, if today's team had to play to those rules they wouldn't be running around as much as they do now. Paul Cheesley and Tom Ritchie would still score goals, Gerry Gow would still run the midfield and Jimmy Mann's thunderbolts from midfield would still get past the keeper, and Whitehead on the wing was the equivalent of Adomah. Also, there weren't any foreigners in the promotion team and they cost next to nothing as they'd mostly come through the youth team. I don't think there'd be much in it to be honest.

Good players of an era would adapt to any era.  It's always easy to say how would the 76 side cope now with fitness etc, how about the other way around, with refs allowing Gerry to kick Korey all afternoon for example.  Would Tomlin be able to get a mitre multiplex up, down and around the wall from a muddy surface?

I just think it's too difficult to compare over 40 years apart.

Easier to compare GJ's team to LJ as its much closer in time.

1 hour ago, pongo88 said:

I think it's a disservice to the Alan Dicks team of the 70s to assume the present team would easily win due to extra fitness. The Dicks team had a lot of excellent players. Most were under rated but Arsenal made a joint bid of £244k for Geoff Merrick and Tom Richie. This may seem like peanuts, but at the time it was a lot of money, and the board was under pressure to sell due to the poor finances of the club. Luckily they refused. 

If there was a match between the two teams, I think the deciding factor would be whether it was the  team that finished the 1975-6 season or that which played in the 1976-7 season. If the former, Paul Cheesley would be fit and, together with Richie would give Flint and Magnusson a hard time. If the latter, Cheesley would be missing due to injury. In the one match he was fit in Division 1 he gave the Arsenal defence the run around 

Thank you for that. Made my night. If they were as fit as the current match it would be a great match.

For the record, the 75-76 season began with two wins, one draw and two defeats, 16-17 has begun with three wins and two defeats. That promotion push really took off in September; let's see what the next few weeks produce.

As for Cheeseley's goal at Highbury in August 76, look at the build up. A long ball hit through and the Arsenal defence didn't bother chasing it as they assumed it was going out. Tom Ritchie showed his fitness though by chasing and catching up with the ball which he then centred to PC. Arsenal had quality players that day, but City's fitness was superior.

I've watched City now for six and a half decades and have plenty of great memories plus those that I prefer to forget like 1980 until 1982.

I realised a long time ago that it is impossible to judge one era's team against another. All the team that City put on the field is to battle with and hopefully, defeat the opposition.

John Atyeo if he had been born in 1990 would still be a tremendous athlete and footballer and likewise Joe Bryan would have fitted into the 1955 side if he had been born in 1930. Different eras with differing standards of fitness, diet, alcohol intake, smoking and especially medical treatment advances that would have significantly extended careers like Paul Cheesley.

But whichever time you pick, quality is permanent, form is variable. But a lot of fun discussing this age old chestnut.

If we got promoted to the Prem this season and had Arsenal away as the first game would you expect us to win? Arsenal were of similar status then to what they are now, yet that Bristol City team went there and won, and stayed in the top league for 4 seasons. I think our current side hasn't reached those levels yet, even given that the Prem is stronger than Div 1 was in those far-off days.

The 76' team is, I think,very underated,it's biggest strength was organisation,they all knew their jobs and were very hard to beat,so for me it would be that organisation versus the more fluid team of today,1-1 draw ?

Archived