IGNORED

International break

formerly known as ivan

Anyone else think this should be scrapped?

I think if you want the best players then accept the fact that once a month you will lose them to their national team and you have to play your remaining players or youngster. Might even things up a little as well.

Its just so boring with no real football on the weekends!

Nope don't agree... . In Rugby you finish with play offs due to teams losing players for the break. Makes a mockery of the format. League is bread and butter, best players should always be available. As a bristol rugby fan I looked at last season being the year to go up due to world cup, but why should other teams position be at risk because they have international players?

Although weekends without football during the season are boring I think this one has come at a pretty good time for us.

We have recruited an entire new team's worth of players this summer (though obviously not all of them are automatic choices) and with the transfer window now closed that gives us a little bit of time to get those of them that are not away on international duty to gel.

It is easy to forget we signed Moore just before the last match, Paterson during it and Engvall since.

The players we now have will be what we will rely upon until January, a weekend without a game will be a small price to pay if we maintain our decent start.

To add.... international football should be the pinnical of the game. And should be put on that pedestal. A lengthy group stage diminishes that...and the bottom finishing group teams should play some sort of tournament to reach the qualifying stages before the following campaigns begin to reduce the number of matchs.

The better teams should play each other more often you improve the standard. This year's euros were a joke due to nobody having to win no more than one game to qualify.

2 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Although weekends without football during the season are boring I think this one has come at a pretty good time for us.

We have recruited an entire new team's worth of players this summer (though obviously not all of them are automatic choices) and with the transfer window now closed that gives us a little bit of time to get those of them that are not away on international duty to gel.

It is easy to forget we signed Moore just before the last match, Paterson during it and Engvall since.

The players we now have will be what we will rely upon until January, a weekend without a game will be a small price to pay if we maintain our decent 

You refer to the transfer window doing though... that should end before season starts.

I agree, although August was a hectic schedule and a lot of games played.

Think we could benefit from it, as will give LJ and the coaching staff a bit more prep time and for Pato and Engvall to get used to the training schedule. Plus with Tammy out with an ankle niggle a little time for him to recover. 

I suppose for some there could be a fear of losing momentum after a great victory over Villa. But the lads played their socks off so I'm sure some will appreciate the break too. 

8 hours ago, Arceus said:

To add.... international football should be the pinnical of the game. And should be put on that pedestal. A lengthy group stage diminishes that...and the bottom finishing group teams should play some sort of tournament to reach the qualifying stages before the following campaigns begin to reduce the number of matchs.

The better teams should play each other more often you improve the standard. This year's euros were a joke due to nobody having to win no more than one game to qualify.

Or, in the case of the eventual winners, not having to win a group game at all!

I'm glad we are in a break. We would be going into yesterday's  game with just Flint as our only CB losing Moore and Magnusson. We'd have no Abraham due to injury, No Engvall so Wilbraham would be our only striker and no O'Dowda. We would get hammered and have little threat in the final third. 

17 minutes ago, Tuggin over Tomlin said:

I'm glad we are in a break. We would be going into yesterday's  game with just Flint as our only CB losing Moore and Magnusson. We'd have no Abraham due to injury, No Engvall so Wilbraham would be our only striker and no O'Dowda. We would get hammered and have little threat in the final third. 

Ummm....isn't that why there is an international break? 

Perhaps that`s what it should be restricted to (I think it was like that pre international breaks, even in the prem). Wait and see who`s called up and then ask for your game to be postponed if you have 4+ players selected. I don`t see any reason why say, Rotherham couldn`t have played Barnsley yesterday for instance as I doubt either have lost that many players.

Or you could have a system where you could play if you wanted to. If you want to play, you approach a team who you`re due to play on a Tuesday in February and see if they fancy changing it to a Saturday in September and if they do, you`re allowed to do it. Bigger crowds possibly, no midweek travelling for the team or fans.

Doubt it will ever happen though.

I don't mind international breaks but this one is quite pointless. The premier league has played 3 matches and championship have played 5. Other leagues throughout Europe have played 1 or 2 if any. There should be 2 longer ones IMO. Like 3 weeks towards the end of September into early October. Then 6-7 weeks of fixtures then end of November into December another 3 weeks. Then free until March where you do another 3 weeks. It's a long break but you get more time to gel beginning of the year and gives the international teams more time together in a bulk session. Still need the international breaks but they're quite tedious to start the year. 

Disagree it's always been part of the calendar. You have to have it, most of the top flight clubs round Europe have players on International duty. As well as England, there are some interesting qualifying groups around- France, Holland, Sweden stands out. Spain and Italy going head to head is another good one.

And of course almost forgot...Scotland in our group, not had that derby in a while!

Archived