IGNORED

Which players are good enough?

Marina's Rolls Royce

2 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

I agree entirely. I don`t think we would see a total overhaul if we were to get there. I just can`t see the club paying stupid money/wages on  average players just to try and survive which we would be lumbered with if we went straight back down. It`s just not the way we do things now.

I remember saying at the Hull game that the players out there at Wembley were effectively playing to get the sack if we`d gone up as that is almost certainly what would have happened if City had got to the prem. It would have taken us more years than it has already to rebuild if we had only had one season up there.

Totally disagree. With the money now given even if you finish bottom with zero points you could go up buy 10 new players, pay the going rate then when you go down - because you would - you could sell some, for big money, witness Newcastle, replace them with top Championship players and go again. The ones that you want to keep would have a relegation clause in their contracts that massively reduced their wage.

The alternative which is more attractive is the Bournemouth model but that takes a good deal of luck and as I have said before we need to get up ASAP, and I think the club know that.

I agree to a point. If we did go up we wouldn`t be viewed as likely to stay up by potential signings and would probably end up paying well over the odds for not very good players, some that would be no better than those that got us up. We would probably go straight back down but again would never be as attractive a proposition as a Newcastle, Norwich or Villa so still wouldn`t be able to get the top championship players to come to us. I know we`re a lot better run but you only have to look at Bolton, Wigan or Portsmouth.

I just don`t want to bankrupt the club chasing the dream.

10 hours ago, cynic said:

ROD

Bryan

Magnusson

GON

Tomlin

Ekstrand

Smith

Those, imo, are easily good enough now.

There may be others who are able to step up or fill in, but we'd need at least another similar quality seven or eight to be able to have a squad to compete.

Not so sure about ROD however you put Ekstrand in but no Flint?

15 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm not so sure. I think they're buying a team they feel can develop over a couple years into the championship so that they're ready and exciting when(if) they get to the PL. Believe this has been said before as well. With the type of players we are recruiting, if we must sell, we will get exceptional money for them which is an added plus. I think potential wise, we have premier league potential at almost every level of our team. Magnusson, O'Dowda, Moore, Engvall and Bryan have potential to be good players in the premier league. 

On 10 September 2016 at 12:53, Davefevs said:

Ta....imho I think that Flint, Magnússon, Bryan, O'Neil (maybe just one season), Smith and Tomlin.  Engvall might be another.

I think all of the above could play regularly in the Prem.  

Really can't see how people can say this guy might be a premier league quality striker when he hasn't even played a minute in English football let alone for city yet. I know I'm an optimist but jeez....

:laughcont:

13 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

Really can't see how people can say this guy might be a premier league quality striker when he hasn't even played a minute in English football let alone for city yet. I know I'm an optimist but jeez....

He had premier league interest and is capped at full international level for his country at age 20. I think without seeing him play, that means he's got decent potential. Of course he may not fulfil it but at this point and the information we have, he has that potential. 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He had premier league interest and is capped at full international level for his country at age 20. I think without seeing him play, that means he's got decent potential. Of course he may not fulfil it but at this point and the information we have, he has that potential. 

Out of interest, who were the premier league teams interested?

This team is very clearly not good enough to play in Premiership.  I doubt they are good enough to take us up (there is a small chance I am wrong on this point).

We need to go up and stay up.  I would have little confidence we wouldn't do a Portsmouth.  I remember what happened the last time - nearly went out of business altogether.

We need to build slowly towards promotion over next 3/4 seasons and then go up with a team that will only require tweaking in one or two positions to stay up.  I still think our promotion to Championship was 1/2 seasons too soon (and unplanned).

I am encouraged by our youth on loan and in under 21s, because I believe three or four of them could get into a promotion team in 3/4 seasons time.

Believe and put your faith and hopes in Lee, he is our secret weapon in all this.

Frankly, none of them. I'd agree with the others that have said that this team isn't good enough to take us up, let alone for them individually to play in the Premier League.

Strictly speaking, if our players were good enough to play in the Premier League then Premier League teams would have looked to buy them. There has been some interest for Flint and Bryan in the past, but nothing truly concrete.

It's still far too early to say for some players., and I'm hoping that the new structure to our team will grow over the season. By next season, I think we'll have a squad that could be capable of pushing past mid-table.

17 hours ago, RedDave said:

People seem to have forgot how good Korey Smith is.

Completely agree Dave.  Despite all the new arrivals I still rate him as one of the best, if not the best, player at the club.  Keeping him was as big an achievement as any new signing in my opinion. 

If you were picking a Championship XI, I think Smith would be a strong contender for the sitting midfielder role, he is just so good in that position.  I'm not sure which of our other players would be genuine contenders for a Championship XI (a very subjective discussion point I know).

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

This team is very clearly not good enough to play in Premiership.  I doubt they are good enough to take us up (there is a small chance I am wrong on this point).

We need to go up and stay up.  I would have little confidence we wouldn't do a Portsmouth.  I remember what happened the last time - nearly went out of business altogether.

Why would us going up mean we 'do a portsmouth'? Surely that's more about ownership than the playing side.

52 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

Fair enough. Wasn't being funny, just genuinely didn't know who he was linked with.

All good. Never found why it never got done but apparently they were discussing a £2m deal. Maybe he wasn't going to play there? Who knows but I think he's well thought of in the game judging by what I've read

10 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

That was why I typed "might"......

10 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

.....because of what the club has told us about him......

9 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Was a strong link with Stoke last season. Think he even trained with them for a bit before the Swedish season started. 

.....and previous interest.....

6 hours ago, brizzlelou said:

Fair enough. Wasn't being funny, just genuinely didn't know who he was linked with.

.....ok :P

Archived