IGNORED

Which players are good enough?

Marina's Rolls Royce

In a recent thread there was discussion about City being ready for the Prem should it come our way which unsurprisingly divided opinion.

My personal opinion is that we have a lot further to travel before we can genuinely say we are club ready to make the step up. Our squad is young, talented with bags of potential but largely an unknown quantity even at this level. I think that finishing in the top half will be very respectable and getting to the play offs would be a remarkable achievement.

My question is- which players ( not loans) are genuinely good enough to play in the Premiership? I think Tomlin, O'Neil probably Bryan, maybe Flint and just possibly Kory Smith  and then sort of run out of ideas beyond mere speculation of how a player may improve- Moore/Magnusson. My point being is that whilst we've got an exciting and improving young squad- we're not exactly blessed with potential Premier League quality. Yet.

Bryan is the only true PL quality City player in my view. 

Tomlin possibly could play there but I'm not sure he works hard enough. Eddie Howe didn't fancy him at B'muff

GoN was a very average PL midfielder who Norwich let go.......

Should City reach the PL then LJ would have to pretty much have to rip it up and start again and do what his dad failed to do after the pray-off final - strengthen the squad with better players.

19 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bryan is the only true PL quality City player in my view. 

Tomlin possibly could play there but I'm not sure he works hard enough. Eddie Howe didn't fancy him at B'muff

GoN was a very average PL midfielder who Norwich let go.......

Should City reach the PL then LJ would have to pretty much have to rip it up and start again and do what his dad failed to do after the pray-off final - strengthen the squad with better players.

They offered him a contract?

Not sure of Bryan's best position yet so wouldn't say he's prem quality. I think he's got the potential to play there, but not quite yet. He's not far off though.

I think people underestimate the gulf in quality with the prem. O'Neil has come here and looked fantastic but probably wouldn't get into any starting 11 in the premier league. 

We've got a few players with the potential to play there but unsure if any are ready just yet.

Good question, but you could answer in many ways.

If you asked, how many of our players could get into Hull or Burnley or one of the bottom 5 or 6 type of teams you might get a different set of players than if you looked at it from a Palace, Stoke, Everton type team, etc.

None of our players would get into the big 4/5/6.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Good question, but you could answer in many ways.

If you asked, how many of our players could get into Hull or Burnley or one of the bottom 5 or 6 type of teams you might get a different set of players than if you looked at it from a Palace, Stoke, Everton type team, etc.

None of our players would get into the big 4/5/6.

I agree about the differing standards of teams in the Prem but my thoughts were more about who we currently have who is good enough to play at Premiership level generally. The feedback so far is pretty muted in that other than perhaps Bryan- the answer seems to be well... err...none. 

I think @Robbored sums it up with stating that LJ would have to rip it up and start again. I believe that accidentally scraping into the next level would do more harm than good and we need a couple of seasons to see the fruits of his labour. Trouble is the minute we have a player who looks Prem quality we'll be fighting to keep him. Catch 22.

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I agree about the differing standards of teams in the Prem but my thoughts were more about who we currently have who is good enough to play at Premiership level generally. The feedback so far is pretty muted in that other than perhaps Bryan- the answer seems to be well... err...none. 

I think @Robbored sums it up with stating that LJ would have to rip it up and start again. I believe that accidentally scraping into the next level would do more harm than good and we need a couple of seasons to see the fruits of his labour. Trouble is the minute we have a player who looks Prem quality we'll be fighting to keep him. Catch 22.

Ta....imho I think that Flint, Magnússon, Bryan, O'Neil (maybe just one season), Smith and Tomlin.  Engvall might be another.

I think all of the above could play regularly in the Prem.  

3 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

They offered him a contract?

They did.

Also, surely by definition someone who has been called a "very average PL midfielder" can therefore be considered good enough to play in the Prem?

I get the impression someone doesn't know the true definition of "average"..

7 hours ago, BarmyArmy said:

At this moment in time only Flint. 

I think you jinxed him today...

Personally I don't think Flint is prem class. Bryan probably has the potential to be and Tomlin, on his day, could play in the prem. He hasn't really showed it so far this season though...

Average players, professional or amateur, can often survive if they are surrounded by better players who have the ability to play at the standard of the league they are in. The problems start when nearly all the team is average. For City, by Premier League bottom 6 standard, probably 5 are average, 3-4 poor with perhaps 2-3 good. Next season as some young players develop and new signings are made the balance should change. If, by some miracle, City should be promoted this season far two many new signings would need to be made in the summer window. That said, I wouldn't say no as even if City finished bottom the parachute payments could transform the club. 

It appears that LJ and MA have bought players to develop for sale - hence buying young.  It wouldn't be much of a surprise if wholesale trading took place following a promotion.  It could well cost over £100 million to buy a team that could survive in the Prem - and maybe a quarter of that could come from selling existing players. The rest would be funded by the TV money. 

4 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

It appears that LJ and MA have bought players to develop for sale - hence buying young.  It wouldn't be much of a surprise if wholesale trading took place following a promotion.  It could well cost over £100 million to buy a team that could survive in the Prem - and maybe a quarter of that could come from selling existing players. The rest would be funded by the TV money. 

I'm not so sure. I think they're buying a team they feel can develop over a couple years into the championship so that they're ready and exciting when(if) they get to the PL. Believe this has been said before as well. With the type of players we are recruiting, if we must sell, we will get exceptional money for them which is an added plus. I think potential wise, we have premier league potential at almost every level of our team. Magnusson, O'Dowda, Moore, Engvall and Bryan have potential to be good players in the premier league. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I'm not so sure. I think they're buying a team they feel can develop over a couple years into the championship so that they're ready and exciting when(if) they get to the PL. Believe this has been said before as well. With the type of players we are recruiting, if we must sell, we will get exceptional money for them which is an added plus. I think potential wise, we have premier league potential at almost every level of our team. Magnusson, O'Dowda, Moore, Engvall and Bryan have potential to be good players in the premier league. 

I agree entirely. I don`t think we would see a total overhaul if we were to get there. I just can`t see the club paying stupid money/wages on  average players just to try and survive which we would be lumbered with if we went straight back down. It`s just not the way we do things now.

I remember saying at the Hull game that the players out there at Wembley were effectively playing to get the sack if we`d gone up as that is almost certainly what would have happened if City had got to the prem. It would have taken us more years than it has already to rebuild if we had only had one season up there.

So many new players that we have not really seen yet to judge - I cannot see us getting promoted this season, so maybe that is in a way of suggesting we do not have many premier league ready players (or we would get promoted). Still looking forward to where this season takes us though - exciting times.

Archived