IGNORED

Everton FC

Lew-T

It's a great gesture by Everton, no question. Although slightly odd that they donate that to a Sunderland supporter when surely, there must be Everyon fans who are suffering with life threatening conditions. 

Lots of things need funding & donations, enough money will never be raised, ever. 

It would be nice if football itself created a pot for good causes. 

Imagine if say 5% of all transfer fees went into a "good cause" fund. Even 1%. 

What was spent in this last window..? 1.2 billion..?

1% of that (£12million) would help God knows how many ill children with treatment and effectively be fairly contributed too according to clubs wealth. 

Come on Football. Give something back! 

5 minutes ago, robinreliant said:

Lots of footballers go out into the community and do good. With all the excessive money being thrown around it would be nice to hear what clubs like ours are doing. I'm sure if we knew exactly what they do we would be quite surprised. 

Agreed.  There's no need for modesty - shout about it and encourage others.

43 minutes ago, robinreliant said:

Lots of footballers go out into the community and do good. With all the excessive money being thrown around it would be nice to hear what clubs like ours are doing. I'm sure if we knew exactly what they do we would be quite surprised. 

Without searching through articles, they definitely do talk about it.

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

And when you were cheering on the British Cycling Team at the Olympics and feeling proud at the number of medals we itad, did you think the amount of money, charitable or otherwise, would have been better spent on the NHS and we had our usual handful of medals?

The olympics Is one of the biggest catalysts for people taking up excersise which takes pressure off the NHS. I am not going to claim I know any figures or whether It Is worth It but It will help

Regardless of the politics of funding these treatments, I have to tip my hat to Everton F.C, a really classy gesture by a superb club.

Having family on Merseyside who are all Evertonians, I do keep an eye on their results from a distance plus the occasional visit to GP. Regardless, this is a sign of real class from a great football club.

Well done EFC. 

Just as an aside - this thread is OTIB at it's best, a proper and sensible discussion on a sensitive issue, with lots of good and interesting points being made.  This sort of things sets us apart from other forums in my opinion.

But, let's not make it about us - what a fantastic gesture by Everton, and great to see the wealth of the Premier League finding its way to those who need it.

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

It's a great gesture by Everton, no question. Although slightly odd that they donate that to a Sunderland supporter when surely, there must be Everyon fans who are suffering with life threatening conditions. 

Lots of things need funding & donations, enough money will never be raised, ever. 

It would be nice if football itself created a pot for good causes. 

Imagine if say 5% of all transfer fees went into a "good cause" fund. Even 1%. 

What was spent in this last window..? 1.2 billion..?

1% of that (£12million) would help God knows how many ill children with treatment and effectively be fairly contributed too according to clubs wealth. 

Come on Football. Give something back! 

To be fair the players do pay a lot of taxes (unless they have offshore accounts) so a lot of the money does go back in. its just what the government decides to do with it...........

12 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

To be fair the players do pay a lot of taxes (unless they have offshore accounts) so a lot of the money does go back in. its just what the government decides to do with it...........

That's very different to English football agreeing that 1% of transfer fees goes into a charity pot. 

6 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Sad to say but that is the unwanted legacy of Live Aid.  When Bob Geldof virtually overnight invented mass charitable fundraising, Thatcher immediately realised that it got her off the hook and cynically exploited it, and ever since then successive governments have been happy to sit back and allow people to raise money for things that should be funded centrally.  Its just another form of taxation, except it's random and inequitable.  Imagine how much bigger a mess the NHS would be in without charitable funding?

Oh and it IS in a mess. Frankly speaking, i think the sooner the country wakes up to the fact that it cannot have its cake and eat it (low taxes and a fully funded NHS) then the sooner we can start to dismantle it as we know it. There is no silver bullet but it cannot be right that you have a far better chance of better care and survival if you have a stroke in France compared to the UK. The trouble is no successive gov't of whatever colour or persuasion wants to commit suicide by asking the population to take the 'medicine' of huge hikes in taxes. If we want a fully funded health service that is by far the best in the world I suspect basic rate tax would need to double. That is how scary the whole affair is.

I don't think we can blame any gov't for allowing charitable donations or lottery money fill the gaps because if they did stop it you and I would not like the consequences.

Nice gesture by Everton. Every club does their bit in their own way and it is not for us to request or demand they make it public.

1 hour ago, bissellredhead said:

Well that's their choice. Still, it's a fantastic gesture by Everton, shame some can't still praise this because they made it public :facepalm:

It's was gesture to one of their own mascots and in reality probably the equivalent of 3weeks wages for Lukaku

44 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It's was gesture to one of their own mascots and in reality probably the equivalent of 3weeks wages for Lukaku

I think we are all aware of the money that's involved in football, especially the premier league.

Regardless of that fact it's still a great thing for Everton to do. As seen In this thread 99.9% agree. 

2 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

That's very different to English football agreeing that 1% of transfer fees goes into a charity pot. 

Not really. If you took Rooneys wages alone £300000 a week he would be paying approx. £6.24 million in tax (and that is just one player) in tax a year which makes the 1% of transfer fees of 12million seem quite small

15 minutes ago, bissellredhead said:

I think we are all aware of the money that's involved in football, especially the premier league.

Regardless of that fact it's still a great thing for Everton to do. As seen In this thread 99.9% agree. 

I'm not criticising Everton at all. Just pointing out that other PL clubs carry out similar generous acts but don't make a great publicity event out of it.

Everton could just as easily made the donation in private but chose not to.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

I'm not criticising Everton at all. Just pointing out that other PL clubs carry out similar generous acts but don't make a great publicity event out of it.

You could have posted with factual content but chose not to.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Is it your role in life to be a complete arse? 

Even your one sentence reply is massively incorrect. 

Footballers and football in general creates too many negative headlines, a football club does something decent and you decide to have a pop at them for it.

I feel almost sorry for you that you have to look at everything from a negative point of view, it really is quite sad.

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

They did so publicly to highlight the cause. They included a link to the donate page on their tweets. A day later, the target has been met. Job done.

7 hours ago, Drew Peacock said:

And when you were cheering on the British Cycling Team at the Olympics and feeling proud at the number of medals we had, did you think the amount of money, charitable or otherwise, would have been better spent on the NHS and we had our usual handful of medals?

This is a bit Daily Mail.

With that rationale, let's stop spending money on potholes, what does a few holes in the road matter, just drive around them, money is better spent elsewhere. And while you're at it, cut arts funding, it's not saving lives.

R.E - Your cycling analogy, sports events not only inspire people to exercise which in turn benefits the NHS, studies show it improves people's producitivity and profitability at work, often has a benefit on the markets, and the event itself often has huge economic benefits.

Don't also forget that a large proportion of sports funding comes from the National Lottery, so would never be otherwise spent on the NHS either way.

1 hour ago, Snufflelufagus said:

Not really. If you took Rooneys wages alone £300000 a week he would be paying approx. £6.24 million in tax (and that is just one player) in tax a year which makes the 1% of transfer fees of 12million seem quite small

Tax doesn't go specifically towards good causes though..?!

Archived