IGNORED

Thoughts and opinions please

NWL Owls

Afternoon all, I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan and I'm not on a wind up.

I write pre and post match articles for my own website for our games and I was hoping to get a bit of an insight into Bristol City for my post match review.  I tried signing up here before the match but something went wrong.

I thought you were very impressive last night.  You have a very solid, very efficient team which is perhaps just a little naive at times.  That young striker of yours, on loan from Chelsea I believe, is a real talent.  If you keep him fit this season he could very well fire you guys into the top six battle.  

I don't think we turned up in the first half and after the soaking I got walking to Hillsborough I wished I'd stayed at home at the half time break.  I honestly thought you would score another couple and really give us a hammering.  

Football is a strange game though and nine times out of ten we would have been 3-1 down, reduced to ten men and then playing against a Bristol side that would have almost certainly seen out the last half hour.  

So, if it's not too much trouble I was hoping I could get a few comments from you guys about where you see your season going, what you would class as a successful season and so on.

I'm happy to credit the forum as a whole on the site, and/or quote individual posters if you wish?  Please let me know if you're happy to be quoted.

I hope those of you that travelled up had a safe journey.  

Link to my pre-match article for those interested:

http://www.nowwelive.com/sheffield-wednesday-20162017/preview-sheffield-wednesday-v-bristol-city

All the best.

@NWL Owls Why not have a look at some of the post match threads on here?  You'll get the full spectrum of opinions, expectations and postulations.

For my part I reckon we will finish somewhere between 7th and 10th.  Right in that annoying area where you feel you should be in the playoffs - and look back at games like last night's (and our match at Rotherham) and rue the missed opportunity.  I would class that as successful.

You probably got a decent overview of the team last night.  At times we're excellent going forward and Tammy Abraham is a talent.  However, we will concede, and at the moment those goals seem to be soft and preventable.

I'll quote something I posted in another thread again here "It looks like Bristol City have a tough start – they have to play five of the six most-fancied sides in their first eight fixtures – so Robins fans shouldn’t be too dejected if they are lingering near the drop zone in September." (experimental361.com).

PS I saw you play at Brentford the other week.  You look good as a team and should have put that game to bed in the first half.  I'm sure you'll be back up in the play offs this year.

Last night was obviously devastating to lose in the way we did but generally our results so far have otherwise been decent.  We've a young team and things still need to gel - especially defensively.  I reckon at least 2 of our first choice back 4 by the end of the season will be different to who played last night.  

Like most teams in a league where anyone can beat each other, I don't think it's by any means impossible we'll finish in the play-offs but equally it's not impossible we could find ourselves in a relegation battle.  I'd class 12th or above as a good season and 16th or below as a disappointing one. 

Best of luck to Wednesday for the rest of the season - I'd hoped you'd go up last year and would like to see you in the Premier League again. 

3 hours ago, NWL Owls said:

Afternoon all, I'm a Sheffield Wednesday fan and I'm not on a wind up.

I write pre and post match articles for my own website for our games and I was hoping to get a bit of an insight into Bristol City for my post match review.  I tried signing up here before the match but something went wrong.

I thought you were very impressive last night.  You have a very solid, very efficient team which is perhaps just a little naive at times.  That young striker of yours, on loan from Chelsea I believe, is a real talent.  If you keep him fit this season he could very well fire you guys into the top six battle.  

I don't think we turned up in the first half and after the soaking I got walking to Hillsborough I wished I'd stayed at home at the half time break.  I honestly thought you would score another couple and really give us a hammering.  

Football is a strange game though and nine times out of ten we would have been 3-1 down, reduced to ten men and then playing against a Bristol side that would have almost certainly seen out the last half hour.  

So, if it's not too much trouble I was hoping I could get a few comments from you guys about where you see your season going, what you would class as a successful season and so on.

I'm happy to credit the forum as a whole on the site, and/or quote individual posters if you wish?  Please let me know if you're happy to be quoted.

I hope those of you that travelled up had a safe journey.  

Link to my pre-match article for those interested:

http://www.nowwelive.com/sheffield-wednesday-20162017/preview-sheffield-wednesday-v-bristol-city

All the best.

Can I just say I thought your fans were incredible, once you got back to 1-2 the noise was defening. (Almost as loud as the pre-match storm!!) I think you played a major factor in getting the winner.

Football's a strange game and we'll not see many 60 seconds of football like that! Througly good game of football though & you played some great stuff in the second half.

I am just happy with progress for the time being. So avoiding a relegation battle will do me. I think we will sneak inside top 10, having been very encouraged by the signing made and seen some very good stuff at times this season (unfortunately seems to be limited to 45 minutes per game).

There have been a few noises from players and the manager suggesting we want to make the playoff, although the official line is that this season we are aiming for mid table/top 10

25 minutes ago, Strawberry2157. said:

Can I just say I thought your fans were incredible, once you got back to 1-2 the noise was defening. (Almost as loud as the pre-match storm!!) I think you played a major factor in getting the winner.

Football's a strange game and we'll not see many 60 seconds of football like that! Througly good game of football though & you played some great stuff in the second half.

2nd that! Best noise I've heard at an away ground to date! 

Thanks for all the comments everyone.  I've posted my review of the game here; http://www.nowwelive.com/sheffield-wednesday-20162017/review-sheffield-wednesday-v-bristol-city

I'll probably pop back on here when we have the return fixture, assuming I'm still welcome.  

I've had a read through a couple of other threads on here as well.  I can see that opinion is a little divided on Richard O'Donnell.  He started his career with Wednesday and made a few first team appearances.  I always thought he'd turn out a decent 'keeper and it's good to see him establishing himself in the Championship.  I think you'll do well to stick by him.

We've had a couple of trips to South Yorks in a week. Local opinion on Radio Sheffield after the Rotherham game was that we'd be disappointed to finish outside the top 8...last night your fans were (kindly) suggesting the same to me in the bar after the match. I'm not sure that many City fans expect that.

I'd say that we are a work in progress...things are probably going better than expected by most supporters, but we've been frustrated by silly individual errors in our past couple of games. Cut out the errors and we'll have a decent season. As will your lot.

If ever there was an argument for staying till the final whistle it was last night...a fair few of your guys will have left assuming it was a draw.

I believe we are play off contenders IF we can get a settled side and we can learn from the defensive mistakes of the last 2 games.

I find myself flicking from pessimistic to optimistic and back again very quickly so far this season.

I see the defensive disasters and i fear the return of some of our bad times last season and then I see glimpses of strong attack play and the depth of our squad and feel positive again.

There is no doubt this is one of the best squads we have assembled for many years.

Our midfield is a rival for anybody in this division, our striker is flying, our defence, once we get our key right back fit and maybe the experience of Ekstrand playing (hopefully) regularly, should be as good as any.

We could with luck and good management really become a strong force in the last 2/3rds of the season once we really click and get some more confidence flowing.

City fans used to say "we always believe". The players need to do the same as without a doubt this is a strong squad in this division assembled fairly cheaply if you consider the money in from Kodjia and a couple of others

Play offs are a realistic aim. But we have to start learning from our mistakes. Yes a few of the lads were of par last night. That is going to happen from time to time. Let's continue to be positive it is a hell of a lot better than this time last year. As our friend Basso said "always believe " 

Archived