IGNORED

Twitter

David Brent

I'd guess it speaks to more than 'ego boosting, record RTs banter' does. It's the official Twitter account of a second division football club, not 'The LAD Bible'

Assuming it was done for the RTs and not to be a relatable statement of human thought. There's no need to be so cynical.

Number of RTs isn't important, it's not a competition. Just give us the updates. 

I agree it's not offensive. Just a bit shit.

It's not a competition, but when you complain about it not speaking to people you should probably take things like that into account.

Just now, Libertine1 said:

That's a good point to be fair. But what would the tens of thousands who then saw the tweet think of us? Funny? Tinpot?

That is true, but generally if they were RTing to poke fun at us I would guess they'd quote tweet, otherwise it looks as though they like it to their followers, if that makes sense.

8 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I'd guess it speaks to more than 'ego boosting, record RTs banter' does. It's the official Twitter account of a second division football club, not 'The LAD Bible'

Assuming it was done for the RTs and not to be a relatable statement of human thought. There's no need to be so cynical.

Number of RTs isn't important, it's not a competition. Just give us the updates. 

I agree it's not offensive. Just a bit shit.

It's not a competition, but when you complain about it not speaking to people you should probably take things like that into account.

1 minute ago, Libertine1 said:

That's a good point to be fair. But what would the tens of thousands who then saw the tweet think of us? Funny? Tinpot?

From what I can see, a big amount of the RT's came from Chelsea fans anyway. It's probably our most RT'd tweet ever, shame it was something a bit cringey!

3 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

I put this on the q&a section earlier but thought it'd get more attention here.

Not sure where to ask this so I'll leave it here.

I get that the club are active on social media, and that the demographic of Twitter suggest that the majority of users are younger (under 35), but is there any chance the clubs official Twitter account can remain professional in its match updates?

"This kid is a joke." Seriously? Who runs the account?

I know many fans won't see this as important but it looks amateurish. Save the banter for personal accounts.

I realise I'm speaking from a personal point of view but our club don't need to enter into a Twitter popularity contest.

It can't be @AdamB in charge can it?

Cheers

When Joe Bryan scored against Villa there was no graphic of him on twitter. Just said goal scored by Joe Bryan.

I asked bcfctweets why no graphic of our Joe and I had a response from Lewis Hancock. He has been on the media team with Baker and Perrow for some time.

Having looked at his twitter profile he only looks like a young un himself. Wouldn't surprise me if he posted it... Seems down with the kids man. Safe yeah!!

3 hours ago, Selred said:

The vast majority who read it on Twitter will like it. It's a different platform to the website, targeting a different audience and thus should use content that appeals to the intended market. Over 1,000 re tweets shows it is popular. 

The account seems to have 81,300 followers, so 1,000 or so re tweets doesn't prove anything. It's a minority.

Even then we don't know if they were re tweeting favourably, or taking the piss out of BCFC, and it seems a large number were Chelsea fans anyway.

To know if it was really popular there would have to be a 'dislike' button for comparison for those dumbfounded to show their disapproval.

I'd have pressed it, and who knows how many others would have pressed it too? 

24 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The account seems to have 81,300 followers, so 1,000 or so re tweets doesn't prove anything. It's a minority.

Even then we don't know if they were re tweeting favourably, or taking the piss out of BCFC, and it seems a large number were Chelsea fans anyway.

To know if it was really popular there would have to be a 'dislike' button for comparison for those dumbfounded to show their disapproval.

Not many since it's a complimentary tweet about a player, going against the "this happened and then this happened" grain, and is almost entirely inconsequential.

Of all the stupid threads which have been made moaning about nothing, and there's been plenty, this probably ranks in the top 10. 

2 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Not everyone sees every tweet. Furthermore our win against Villa only garnered 256 retweets and that was our highest in weeks, so yes actually over 1,000 retweets do show something. I work in media and engagements is a key performance indicator. 

Why would it not be retweeted favourably? The only people finding fault with the tweet are our own fans from what I've seen on Twitter. Why dislike it? It's a compliment to our player, you took it the wrong way so move on and accept how it should of been taken. Seriously your reaction is very narrow minded and over the top. 

14 minutes ago, Selred said:

Not everyone sees every tweet. Furthermore our win against Villa only garnered 256 retweets and that was our highest in weeks, so yes actually over 1,000 retweets do show something. I work in media and engagements is a key performance indicator. 

Spot on. Manchester City have 3.53 million followers and their most popular tweet from yesterday and today's game with Gladbach has 5,800 retweets. That's 0.16% of followers.

City have 81,300 followers and gained 1,834 retweets. That's 2.25% of followers.

So the City tweet outperforming the Manchester City tweet by 14x.

31 minutes ago, Griffin said:

#gaslogic

What? 

4 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Spot on. Manchester City have 3.53 million followers and their most popular tweet from yesterday and today's game with Gladbach has 5,800 retweets. That's 0.16% of followers.

City have 81,300 followers and gained 1,834 retweets. That's 2.25% of followers.

So the City tweet outperforming the Manchester City tweet by 14x.

That's assuming all RT's are followers though, it's also a tweet from the last few hours whereas ours is a day or so old now. I think lots of Chelsea fans have retweeted our one as it's about their player. 

I get engagement but surely you want engagement with a bit of purpose and I don't think ours has one. I feel in danger of over-discussing a minor issue but I wasn't a big fan of the tweet, felt a bit juvenile and adolescent which doesn't keep in theme with a club who's trying to look very professional online (for example insisting all non-playing staff have "@BristolSport.."in their handle.

5 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What? 

That's assuming all RT's are followers though, it's also a tweet from the last few hours whereas ours is a day or so old now. I think lots of Chelsea fans have retweeted our one as it's about their player. 

I get engagement but surely you want engagement with a bit of purpose and I don't think ours has one. I feel in danger of over-discussing a minor issue but I wasn't a big fan of the tweet, felt a bit juvenile and adolescent which doesn't keep in theme with a club who's trying to look very professional online (for example insisting all non-playing staff have "@BristolSport.."in their handle.

It actually is professional though.

Twitter is used to connect with a younger audience and it's the content they like. If Chelsea fans retweet it then good. People know how well Tammy is doing and will take note of our results. Great reach and great job of getting City's name out there.

5 minutes ago, Selred said:

It actually is professional though.

Twitter is used to connect with a younger audience and it's the content they like. If Chelsea fans retweet it then good. People know how well Tammy is doing and will take note of our results. Great reach and great job of getting City's name out there.

True and it's one way of looking a it. I think the thing I find strange about it is that we're usually very straight laced and professional and then suddenly that appeared. Definitely over analysing a small issue now but the ideas on engagement are interesting.

I would agree more if I thought it was tweeted with the intention of gaining lots of RTs but I just don't think it was - more an accident.

Oh my God. This thread was bad enough without microanalysing every aspect of the tweet. Who cares who it was RTed by? People liked it evidently.

Seriously. If it's not your kind of thing, fine. But stop being such a bunch of boring sanctimonious (ironic I know but I'm telling you to chill out so shush) whingebags.

12 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Oh my God. This thread was bad enough without microanalysing every aspect of the tweet. Who cares who it was RTed by? People liked it evidently.

Seriously. If it's not your kind of thing, fine. But stop being such a bunch of boring sanctimonious (ironic I know but I'm telling you to chill out so shush) whingebags.

I usually agree with you on here and you're right, it's definitely been over analysed. Discussing who RT'd it though is interesting (to me anyway) as it shows how effective the engagement is, seeing as it's probably our record RT'd tweet. 

I disagree about being a boring sanctimonious whinebag though, felt it was a reasonably interesting discussion  (social media marketing/engagement is interesting to me anyway :P) as a distraction from last night's defeat. 

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I disagree about being a boring sanctimonious whinebag though, felt it was a reasonably interesting discussion  (social media and marketing/engagement is interesting to me anyway :P) as a distraction from last night's defeat. 

Ha - that's true, it's better than the matchday thread! I just think when it descends into being labelled unprofessional, when that's clearly an overreaction, it's a bit silly. Unprofessional would be "this kid is shit", surely?

I thought it was a valid point. I'm not 'microanalysing' anything. I've seen worse threads.

I'm not claiming to speak on anyone's behalf but I know I'm not the only who cringes at some of the tweets.

Maybe professional is the wrong word but why can't the writer save that tweet for their own personal account. They can then 'enjoy' the RTs themselves. Perhaps I'm too cynical. How about an official banter account? @bcfctweetsbantz

Bitches be trippin.

Seriously though, didn't really see a problem with it.

If trying to be cool every once in a while on twitter is part of the plan for appealing to a younger generation and getting more young fans interested, I don't really think it's a big deal. 

99% of the tweets on our account are professional and serious, don't see the issue with an occasional bit of light relief. 

Archived