IGNORED

Minutes applause

city1983

5 hours ago, Bowie said:

Agreed.  It is feeling a big devalued now, yesterday had no idea who or why but most joined in.

Equally though a fair few didn't, general feeling was 'who are we clapping for this week'  which surely isn't the meaning?

halfway through the clapping the atyeo then started signing to add more confusion? So most of us stopped.

Yes, the song was, appropriately, 'City Till I Die'. It appears that corner of the ground can do no right in your eyes (ears).

I think the minutes applause is a great thing. I feel a part of the larger City entity when applauding one of our own in memoriam - and part of the larger football world when applauding the young Villa lad a few weeks back. That was especially useful in view of the rather aggressive undertone that seemed to be about for that game. 

But there is a serious point made above about one person getting applause, another not. Maybe with the new screens we can have a single minutes applause for all who need acknowledgement that game at an appropriate moment - names and photos on the screens, City and Away fans alike. Reverting to the minutes silence is not a good idea for me - too easily ruined by some loud mouthed numpty.

And I thought the Atyeo's vocal contribution yesterday was great - very moving. I'd have been chuffed if it was a relative of mine.City till we die........maybe even after! Who knows......

I would like to see a minutes applause at every game remembering city fans who have sadly died - same minute every week.

All would join in and if it was early doors would maybe keep an atmosphere going as after opening whistle it does go quiet. 

Third minute for BS3 !!

I can understand both sides of this. To some it can be a heartfelt tribute to a fan, player or clubman that has died and to have the whole crowd clapping will give a much-needed boost to healing; to others it will have perhaps lost some connection if it happens so often.

What concerns me is that there may be a conflict during a game. To have a minute where everyone claps regardless of the events on the pitch could seem at odds. For example, if the applause happens just at an extremely controversial point it will lose the meaning. Suppose we have an incident where a staggering decision is given (remember when Palace 'scored' against us but the ref didn't see it hit the back of the net and played on, and Warnock went ballistic? Suppose it was us who were denied!). Or perhaps a player is very badly injured and needs immediate medical treatment - what then?

Is there some other form of expression that all the 'football family' can embrace that will provide support and unity but does not impinge on the actual game itself? I like the idea of using the video hoardings to publicise the tribute, so that everyone can understand.

3 minutes ago, Erithacus said:

I can understand both sides of this. To some it can be a heartfelt tribute to a fan, player or clubman that has died and to have the whole crowd clapping will give a much-needed boost to healing; to others it will have perhaps lost some connection if it happens so often.

What concerns me is that there may be a conflict during a game. To have a minute where everyone claps regardless of the events on the pitch could seem at odds. For example, if the applause happens just at an extremely controversial point it will lose the meaning. Suppose we have an incident where a staggering decision is given (remember when Palace 'scored' against us but the ref didn't see it hit the back of the net and played on, and Warnock went ballistic? Suppose it was us who were denied!). Or perhaps a player is very badly injured and needs immediate medical treatment - what then?

Is there some other form of expression that all the 'football family' can embrace that will provide support and unity but does not impinge on the actual game itself? I like the idea of using the video hoardings to publicise the tribute, so that everyone can understand.

Well now we've got the large screens going in, perhaps tributes can be made on those in the run up to a game.

2 hours ago, Neo said:

I would like to see a minutes applause at every game remembering city fans who have sadly died - same minute every week.

All would join in and if it was early doors would maybe keep an atmosphere going as after opening whistle it does go quiet. 

Third minute for BS3 !!

Whilst it's a nice idea, inevitably it would lose momentum and would become a damp squib as people tire of it. 

It makes much more sense to have an end of season thing, use the screens and make it more of an occasion. That way there's no 'favouritism' (for want of a better word) and the collectivism of it would create a really moving spectacle.

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Third minute for BS3 !!

Seriously every game? 

37 minutes ago, Super said:

Seriously every game? 

I cannot remember from where exactly, think it was one of the USA sports, where one team has a minutes applause early on in the first game of the season, and late on in the last. It is a kind of 'to absent friends' kind of thing - just about all of us would remember somebody or other we would be 'welcoming' to the new season, or remembering at the end of a season. 

It has certainly become a tradition there, and I think a good one. A very difficult balance to get right, and there may still be occasions which touch as all we want a dedicated one minute for, but it is in danger of just tipping over slightly to far one way?

16 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

I don't personally know any of the people who have died that have been acknowledged with a minutes applause, be them City fans, Villa fans or just people on general.

However, if it gives the family and friends of the deceased comfort and all I'm required to do is to clap my hands together with enthusiasm and gusto then I'm more than happy to do so.

I'm in total agreement with Rob.

With social media as it is nowadays, it's far easier to 'spread the word' than it used to be so it happens more often. No issue at all for me.

A minutes applause for a lost fellow red is a small sign of respect IMHO. The fact this chap, one of our own, was born in the same year as me (1967) made it a tad more poignant but it's a small gesture from fellow reds and, as said before, people aren't forced to join in.

I wonder, once the new screens are working, if a picture of the City fan that has passed away couldn't be displayed for the minute of the applause? 

As long as it's a one off each time, I have absolutely no issue with the minutes' applause and did think the 'City 'til I die' was particularly apt as well. Fair play S82, a nice touch.

14 minutes ago, Neo said:

Im not suggesting people run a marathon every week just move their arms back and forth so their hands connect and make a sound for a whole 40 to 60 second period :blink:

One at the start of the season one at the end.

15 minutes ago, Neo said:

Im not suggesting people run a marathon every week just move their arms back and forth so their hands connect and make a sound for a whole 40 to 60 second period :blink:

I think the issue lots are suggesting is that it would lose its poignancy and meaning. Human nature means people would soon tire of it and it would lose the impact that it should have.

If it's done once or twice a season, everyone knows the purpose and the club can make it more of an event. 

I'm inclined to agree with the OP, but would never have started this topic for fear of being labelled disrespectful.

Not to take away the terrible feelings families go through - and let's be honest most of us have lost someone so it's not like no one "understands" - but if you end up doing it most weeks it kind of loses its meaning IMO.

Fire away.

Yesterday at the game, the clapping started and I'm not embarrassed to say I didn't know who it was for, so rather than joining in something that I knew nothing about (I'd rather be informed about something rather than joining in for the sake of it) I decided not to clap, but sat there is respectful silence, or should I say neutral silence.

As others have alluded to, it can be quite hard to follow all the bereavements that happen with our club, and the wider Bristol City family i.e Keith Welch for example, so I think as the club refers to us as the 13th man, maybe we should have a round of applause on the 13th minute of the last home game of the season to recognise all those that have passed away over the course of the season.

Without wishing to be crass, I don't think it would dilute the meaning of a round of applause too much then if its just in the one game.

7 minutes ago, beaverface said:

Yesterday at the game, the clapping started and I'm not embarrassed to say I didn't know who it was for, so rather than joining in something that I knew nothing about (I'd rather be informed about something rather than joining in for the sake of it) I decided not to clap, but sat there is respectful silence, or should I say neutral silence.

As others have alluded to, it can be quite hard to follow all the bereavements that happen with our club, and the wider Bristol City family i.e Keith Welch for example, so I think as the club refers to us as the 13th man, maybe we should have a round of applause on the 13th minute of the last home game of the season to recognise all those that have passed away over the course of the season.

Without wishing to be crass, I don't think it would dilute the meaning of a round of applause too much then if its just in the one game.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, in case any have not been following it and misunderstand your post, we are all of course wishing Keith Welch a speedy recovery!

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/179296-keith-welch/&page=1

1 minute ago, cityexile said:

Just for the avoidance of doubt, in case any have not been following it and misunderstand your post, we are all of course wishing Keith Welch a speedy recovery!

http://www.otib.co.uk/index.php?/topic/179296-keith-welch/&page=1

Thank you. I appreciate I may have misled with my statement.

Archived