IGNORED

Minutes applause

city1983

Probably get crucified for this. But anyone else getting completely fed up with having a minutes applause in a random minute at every single home game. 

I think its naff anyway but surely it is losing any meaning.

i prefer a minutes silence at the beginning of a game. Far more respectful.

I'll answer this. I hope you never have the cause to request one for someone close to you. People deal with the shock and the grief in various ways. If it helps bring some comfort to those that are left behind, after all they are the ones that need it, and allows them and others to pay their respects then seriously, where is the harm.

But like I said, everyone is different. If silence suits you better, bow your head, close your eyes and don't join in.

I think I understand where city1983 is coming from on this one and I don't think its meant to be disrespectful but it could easily stray into that if were not careful. There are a lot of city fans (probably over 40k) most of which seem to over 60, chances are that one is going to die every couple of weeks over the winter. Are we going to do a minutes applause every game at a different time?

3 minutes ago, Pezo said:

I think I understand where city1983 is coming from on this one and I don't think its meant to be disrespectful but it could easily stray into that if were not careful. There are a lot of city fans (probably over 40k) most of which seem to over 60, chances are that one is going to die every couple of weeks over the winter. Are we going to do a minutes applause every game at a different time?

Yes I agree and think you have put it a bit more tactfully than the OP.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

step away from the troll.

Sort of, and I think the sentiment is charming, but there's a fair few City fans out there and sadly many of them won't make it through to the end of the season. Guess there's that element of what's the criteria for being clapped, as I believe two city fans passed away and were flagged up over the past week , and it appears that one received the show of respect.Personally think it would be more fitting to announce those lost to us at half time, but maybe that's me.

Would add that if I pottered off at some stage over the next few years I'd be majorly embarrassed by the idea of 19000 people I don't know clapping me for what comes naturally to all of us.

1 hour ago, city1983 said:

Probably get crucified for this.

If you do, I'll put a request in for a minutes silence. ;)  I liked the 'City til I Die' chant that somehow felt right.

I like the suggestion on another thread from @BS4 on Tour... to have the names and photos of all city fans that have passed away during the season being shown on screen before the final game. 

.....with the stadium screens due to go live soon I think perhaps at the first and last home matches of each season an on-screen 'role of honour' scroll of 'lost reds' names could be displayed with a suitable amount of time allocated for the crowd to show their respects to each one 'lost' that season.

Dignified, respectful and infrequent enough that it remains meaningful and special.

4 minutes ago, Red Army Faction said:

If you do, I'll put a request in for a minutes silence. ;)  I liked the 'City til I Die' chant that somehow felt right.

I like the suggestion on another thread from @BS4 on Tour... to have the names and photos of all city fans that have passed away during the season being shown on screen before the final game. 

Beat me to  it... great minds eh?

While I wouldn't have put it quite as bluntly as the OP, I do tend to agree and, as heartless as it might seem, I wasn't even sure who we were respecting today.

I do understand that people deal with it in different ways though and it's a touchy subject but I think it's a trend that's probably not gonna go away for a while.

There are on average between 23-26 home league and cup games each season, but more than this number of City supporters and ex players pass away. If this trend continues there will be at least one round of applause at each game. Possibly more, if different minutes have different significance to different people. I'm sure those that have passed away are loved and missed by their friends and relatives, but applause at every game becomes meaningless. The majority of attendees don't even know the person for whom they are applauding. We've even had applause for people associated with the opposition's team. As has been suggested, a round of applause at the last match of the season for everyone who has passed away during that season would be much better.  

7 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

There are on average between 23-26 home league and cup games each season, but more than this number of City supporters and ex players pass away. If this trend continues there will be at least one round of applause at each game. Possibly more, if different minutes have different significance to different people. I'm sure those that have passed away are loved and missed by their friends and relatives, but applause at every game becomes meaningless. The majority of attendees don't even know the person for whom they are applauding. We've even had applause for people associated with the opposition's team. As has been suggested, a round of applause at the last match of the season for everyone who has passed away during that season would be much better.  

Eloquently and sensitively put, totally agree. It loses the meaning and purpose if we're doing it every couple of games. Having a yearly thing at the end of the season would be much more fitting and would be pretty moving if done correctly.

I don't personally know any of the people who have died that have been acknowledged with a minutes applause, be them City fans, Villa fans or just people on general.

However, if it gives the family and friends of the deceased comfort and all I'm required to do is to clap my hands together with enthusiasm and gusto then I'm more than happy to do so.

The original post is an interesting one. My elderly mum sat next to me asked why we we're all clapping as she joined in. I told her a fellow City supporter had died and I found out on this forum. She seemed quite surprised as the whole ground was a clapping . The power of One Team In Bristol!

The once a season idea seems a better one, otherwise the sentiment becomes a little devalued. 

Many more City fans will pass away in a year than there are matches (and by a long way).  Keep it to the end of the season in my view.

This country does appear to have gone a little odd when it comes to these things, seems to have started with Diana's death and all the roadside shrines, almost grief tourism.

No disrespect to any of those that have made the effort to request minutes applause for lost loved ones, just my view.

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Eloquently and sensitively put, totally agree. It loses the meaning and purpose if we're doing it every couple of games. Having a yearly thing at the end of the season would be much more fitting and would be pretty moving if done correctly.

Agreed.  It is feeling a big devalued now, yesterday had no idea who or why but most joined in.

Equally though a fair few didn't, general feeling was 'who are we clapping for this week'  which surely isn't the meaning?

halfway through the clapping the atyeo then started signing to add more confusion? So most of us stopped.

Why not provide a whole page to the deceased in the home programme. Can include a photo plus piece about their life and involvement with City. Could also just do a short announcement saying Dave ? a City fan passed away on ........ Please obtain a programme for further details or words to that effect.

4 hours ago, Bowie said:

Agreed.  It is feeling a big devalued now, yesterday had no idea who or why but most joined in.

Equally though a fair few didn't, general feeling was 'who are we clapping for this week'  which surely isn't the meaning?

halfway through the clapping the atyeo then started signing to add more confusion? So most of us stopped.

Was singing city til i die while still clapping

It was inevitable that this was eventually going to come to a head  with such divided opinions on a very sensitive subject and that is a shame.

With the gradual increase of the minutes applause, it 's a shame that the club haven't taking the bull by the horns and announced that an end of season roll call could be made of all those loved ones lost if their families so desired.

Archived