IGNORED

Cash or Card ?

BigTone

It absolutely amazes me in this day and age that so many shops / cafes / restaurants / pubs etc do not accept payment by card. It amazes me even more that they do not display a sign saying "cash only". In fact it brings my urine to boiling point.  I have pointed out to several establishments that they should drag themselves into this century but they just shrug their shoulders and plod on.  Sadly 2 of these places I have been into in recent weeks in London are now closed down. Perhaps being harsh but their own faults I feel.

Rant over

6 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Mike Ashley last week

Drug Dealers

Money Launderers

Other Criminals

Well except those obviously

Actually its a sad world when we drag Drug Dealers, Money Launderers & Other Criminals down to the same level as Mike Ashley.

5 hours ago, BigTone said:

It absolutely amazes me in this day and age that so many shops / cafes / restaurants / pubs etc do not accept payment by card. It amazes me even more that they do not display a sign saying "cash only". In fact it brings my urine to boiling point.  I have pointed out to several establishments that they should drag themselves into this century but they just shrug their shoulders and plod on.  Sadly 2 of these places I have been into in recent weeks in London are now closed down. Perhaps being harsh but their own faults I feel.

Rant over

It amazes me that female people get so highly strung by the most stupid of things..

It amazes me how effing congested Bristol is and that no**** has thought up, better still implimented, a solution ...

It amazes me frankly how the culture of our times is leaving so many lonely or stressed..

That we are not collectively joined and instead a course of the above...

That there is no People's Republic god damn it!!

9 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

It amazes me that female people get so highly strung by the most stupid of things..

It amazes me how effing congested Bristol is and that no**** has thought up, better still implimented, a solution ...

It amazes me frankly how the culture of our times is leaving so many lonely or stressed..

:blink:

9 hours ago, WTFiGO!?! said:

That's amazing

9 hours ago, hodge said:

Hard as they were defunct before I was born ;)

Check there's non hidden under your floorboards or buried in polythene beneath a tree in yer garden....... they were highly desirable and prized possessions back in the day... G S S's almost brought down and replaced £ S P (that was British Currency in the early sixties btw :) ..twelve Pennies to the Shilling, twenty shillings to the £pound) ...books of Green Shield Stamps were far more valuable :laugh: .

• Admin

Don't forget there are charges to use these machines - as someone involved with a private members social club, it is just not cost effective to have card payments

On a side issue, I believe this is a similar reason as to why you wont find a cash machine at many sporting grounds

If I'm out and about locally then I don't usually have a lot of cash on me. If I go somewhere I'm not so familiar with, then I will usually get a bit of cash out before I get there, for this very reason.

It doesn't really bother me, unless I've ran out and can't pay by card. That being said though if you're out in a town centre somewhere, there are usually plenty of free cashpoints around, and most supermarkets as well. Will say if I'm heading into London though (do occasionally as live about an hour away on the underground), I never go in without £30-40 at least. Even then I usually come back with some, if not most of what I went with because I will normally just pay by card.

Ok ...get this...I have an aunt and uncle who only deal with cash and still have payment books at their building society !! ...they're in their early 50s and will not be swayed by Internet banking or anything that will make their lives easier...god knows I've tried ,bless em...they even pay all bills with their payment books by going to said building society ...my aunt even sent me cash for something I'd payed for by putting a note in an envelope along with some pound coins which she had sellotaped inside! :laugh: ....I must admit it drives me nuts but they seem to like the routine ...

1 minute ago, Maesknoll Red said:

Another vote for cash, I'd rather use it.  I reckon there might not be so many people in debt if spending on plastic wasn't so easy.

But I don't have a credit card only a debit card so I'm spending what is mine anyway

Lets not forget that there IS a cost to using cards.  The retailer/restaurant/petrol station/whatever pay a commission to the bank whenever you pay for something by card.  Ultimately it is you who pay that commission in the form of increased costs of the goods/services.  If you wish to reduce the cost of living - although only slightly - pay with cash whenever possible.  I appreciate it is inconvenient but ....... the choice is yours.

12 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

Lets not forget that there IS a cost to using cards.  The retailer/restaurant/petrol station/whatever pay a commission to the bank whenever you pay for something by card.  Ultimately it is you who pay that commission in the form of increased costs of the goods/services.  If you wish to reduce the cost of living - although only slightly - pay with cash whenever possible.  I appreciate it is inconvenient but ....... the choice is yours.

There is a cost for using a card but do you really argue over 30 or 50p. Most places have the cost build in to their prices. I'm sure you are paying this commission in some form every day. Do you use a credit card ? Are you not paying fees (and interest) with that ?

On top of that try paying for a bus or tube in London with cash. Try buying an airline ticket with cash. We would all agree that the internet has changed how we buy. Try using cash to pay on Amazon or the like.  Like it or not cash is on the way out and people need to keep up with the times.

8 minutes ago, BigTone said:

There is a cost for using a card but do you really argue over 30 or 50p. Most places have the cost build in to their prices. I'm sure you are paying this commission in some form every day. Do you use a credit card ? Are you not paying fees (and interest) with that ?

On top of that try paying for a bus or tube in London with cash. Try buying an airline ticket with cash. We would all agree that the internet has changed how we buy. Try using cash to pay on Amazon or the like.  Like it or not cash is on the way out and people need to keep up with the times.

I fully appreciate the convenience of using a card - which I do - though only a debit card, not a credit card.  I have an interest in a business which accepts cards but would happily ban them but cannot do so because we are lazy and it is so easy to hand over a card rather than carry some cash.  This morning I waited to pay for my newspaper while two people spent small amounts of money (one was £2.20) and slowly entered their pin numbers, waited for the machine to respond and then tucked away their cards.  I handed over the cash and was out of the shop in seconds.  No, the 30p or 50p you mention goes into the coffers of those loveable bankers and I for one resent every penny they get from me.  Yes, I use my card for convenience but keep useage to the minimum.

14 minutes ago, Red Bill said:

I fully appreciate the convenience of using a card - which I do - though only a debit card, not a credit card.  I have an interest in a business which accepts cards but would happily ban them but cannot do so because we are lazy and it is so easy to hand over a card rather than carry some cash.  This morning I waited to pay for my newspaper while two people spent small amounts of money (one was £2.20) and slowly entered their pin numbers, waited for the machine to respond and then tucked away their cards.  I handed over the cash and was out of the shop in seconds.  No, the 30p or 50p you mention goes into the coffers of those loveable bankers and I for one resent every penny they get from me.  Yes, I use my card for convenience but keep useage to the minimum.

I only use a debit card also and yes I agree that people spending £2 with a card is annoying.  You have an interest in a business that accepts cards so if I spend £25 in your business and pay by card then I am also paying any relevant fees as they are built into your price.  If I buy the same item in your business and pay with cash you still charge me £25 so I am still paying fees.  It happens everyday to all of us. Just to clarify also, it is not you paying the fees to the Banker but us the customer one way or the other.

Archived