IGNORED

Goalkeeping Dilemma

MarkRed!

Wondered what fans thought about the best keeper we have.... my view is Fielding is the right No 1 for the moment:

Fielding - great shot stopper and good handling, footwork and kicking significant weakness, always appears slight in the goal. Kept kicking the ball to the opposition and giving away possession which I think it his biggest flaw.

O'Donnell - ok shot stopper, good on the ball, physical presence. Iffy in the air and kicking is circumspect.

It is really early days but I would like to see something happen with Lucic. I thought his use of the football in the EFL cup was excellent and his physical presence was the best of all of the keepers. He is raw, but I think we should either have him on the bench or loan him out. He is going to be a real player and anyone who has trained with Neuer, must have picked something up!

O'Leary and Wollacot also promising young keepers.... 

5 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

Wondered what fans thought about the best keeper we have.... my view is Fielding is the right No 1 for the moment:

Fielding - great shot stopper and good handling, footwork and kicking significant weakness, always appears slight in the goal. Kept kicking the ball to the opposition and giving away possession which I think it his biggest flaw.

O'Donnell - ok shot stopper, good on the ball, physical presence. Iffy in the air and kicking is circumspect.

It is really early days but I would like to see something happen with Lucic. I thought his use of the football in the EFL cup was excellent and his physical presence was the best of all of the keepers. He is raw, but I think we should either have him on the bench or loan him out. He is going to be a real player and anyone who has trained with Neuer, must have picked something up!

When  L J signed Lucic  he did say he  would go straight out on  season long loan   seems no league 1 or 2 side are in need of a goalie  just yet

12 minutes ago, MarkRed! said:

ROD iffy in the air?! Breath of fresh air seeing someone command their box as he does. Frankie 'nosebleed when off his line' Fielding is not no 1 for me. However he is at the moment so will get MY support. 

However FF's lack of presence and shabby punching of crosses causes panic in defence IMO. 

Keen to see Lucic althugh perhaps hes a year away from staking a No1 claim?

I'd say it's a good thing we have the competition between the keepers, always good to make sure players don't get too comfortable.

Both O'Donnell and Fielding have cases to be number 1. Before O'Donnell came in I used to hate the ball being anywhere near our box as I thought Fielding was a bit dodgey in terms of handling of shots and commanding his box. Recently tho O'Donnell has made a few errors and Fielding has earned his chance. Haven't been at any of the games where O'Donnell made the errors of any where Fielding has started so perhaps more difficult for me to have as good a opinion as some at the moment.

I certainly have high hopes for Lucic though!!

6 of one, half a dozen of the other - but both good to have around. I've instinctively got less faith in Frankie and feel more uneasy when he's in goal but he's done damn well just recently and if he keeps that up I guess the faith will come. I prefer ROD for bossing the box but we're lucky to have the brace of them. Just hope we can keep both - if one wants to be the permanent No 1 we might have a problem?

1 hour ago, JonDolman said:

Fieldings kicking for me is miles better than odonnells, who really struggles for distance.

Which works as O'D finds players, watch the Fulham game and the number of times Fieldings kicks goes over all our players straight to their keeper or out of playing is frankly embarassing. I think Frankie has done well, but his distribution is awful.

FF has the shirt on merit. He has done well since RODs performance at Sheffield Wed. He made two very decent saves yesterday and to be frank it's not distribution/kicking that worries me, it's his height. Matt Smith nor starting yesterday was completely nuts, but hey thanks Fulham!

upside is that The center backs know they have to deal with everything coming into the box no messing

7 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

FF has the shirt on merit. He has done well since RODs performance at Sheffield Wed. He made two very decent saves yesterday and to be frank it's not distribution/kicking that worries me, it's his height. Matt Smith nor starting yesterday was completely nuts, but hey thanks Fulham!

upside is that The center backs know they have to deal with everything coming into the box no messing

And that is really important.  Either always come for of always stay at home....in between is no good to nobody.

Kocking is pretty subjective but I think FF is a better footballer, that is, better with the ball at his feet when passed back to him. More comfortable off his wrong foot than ROD.

But I like ROD's commitment when going for balls, no doubt he's coming.

Two decent keepers in their mid/late 20s is a good scenario for us.  Can't comment on Lucic, but nice to see a young (and foreign) keeper come in and do well on debut.

This is last seasons stats on distribution accuracy. It's close between them both, & this season Frank is actually only on 30% but he's only two games in, so expect to see that rise considerably. 

I'd rather have Fielding in goal. Great shot stopper & never understood how after becoming injured last season everyone all of a sudden said he was a bad keeper. His 2 penalty saves last year won us 4 points alone. 

image.jpeg

15 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People ignoring that Lucic could have saved that header from Fulham last week then.

And he really didn't have too much to do in all honesty.

3 shots on target. One scored, one was a penalty save (albeit a brilliant one), can't rememebr the other.

Don't get me wrong you can only do what you're asked but it's not enough (yet) to dislodge two keepers who have actually single handedly won us points this season.

I do find it slightly amusing and typical of OTIB that only three weeks ago we had a thread discussing whether Richard O'Donnell was the best keeper in the Championship, but now he is being written off by some fans as suspect in the air (I've never seen that) and 'circumspect' (I suspect that poster meant 'suspect' again) with his kicking.

The fact is that ROD is a very fine keeper as he has consistently demonstrated since he has been here, but who has made a couple of individual mistakes which has cost the team, as all keepers do at some stage or another.  The trouble with keepers is that you can't rotate them, so if a keeper has a dip in form, or just makes a few mistakes, it is likely to cost him his place.  Frankie lost his place to the awful Elliot Parrish after a similar run.  However, ROD has not become a bad keeper overnight, and I think is likely to play more of a part in our future than Frankie is.  We've had some good 'little keepers' here in the past - I'm old enough to remember the diminutive Mike Gibson, and of course there was Ronnie Sinclair - but I think in the end a keeper's lack of height will always stop him reaching the top. 

Anyone prove me wrong and name a world class keeper under 6 feet tall?

ROD has more presence about him and seems to behave with more 'character' - and this  probably makes him more noticeable. Perhaps it's a case of him flattering to deceive, but it kind of works....reminds me a little bit like an English Basso, if ever there was such a thing. I just remember that last season when he came in it seemed to give the whole place a lift, commanding the back 4, coming for (and winning) crosses, some decent saves. Top Champ keeper, no, but very good.

FF probably goes the other way - not much exuberant behaviour, which can then perhaps detract from the fact he is a very good keeper. It seems to me like he almost plays with the demeanour of a player who has been asked to go in goal for the Sunday morning team, but really fancies himself as a striker......but he is actually a really good keeper. 

I think that their distribution is equally inept, but by whose standards? Thinking back to Hamer - whose distribution was awfully woeful, and he is on the bench at the Premiership Champions.....I think that much has been made of keeper distribution since the rise of Neuer  and more recently the Pep versus Hart scenario at Man City. In reality, how good do we expect keepers to be the lower down the football pyramid we go.....

To be honest neither FF or RoD fill me with great confidence. Both are decent enough keepers but prone to howlers as we've seen. 

Obviously all keepers do/can make mistakes but with these two I feel it's more likely to happen.

Lukic looked good in the EFL at Fulham last week but it appears that LJ doesn't yet feel he's quite ready to push for the number one place, possibly because of his youth and inexperience. That said every player is inexperienced at the start of their careers....

2 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

This is last seasons stats on distribution accuracy. It's close between them both, & this season Frank is actually only on 30% but he's only two games in, so expect to see that rise considerably. 

I'd rather have Fielding in goal. Great shot stopper & never understood how after becoming injured last season everyone all of a sudden said he was a bad keeper. His 2 penalty saves last year won us 4 points alone. 

image.jpeg

Let's hope he can improve... 30% when he's taking a lot of freekicks won by our defenders, ball in hand and goal kicks is really poor... keeping possession and building from the back is important, no reason to give the ball away 70% of the time for no reason and put ourselves under pressure.

46 minutes ago, RedDave said:

People ignoring that Lucic could have saved that header from Fulham last week then.

He could have maybe, but it would have been a pretty spectacular save, and also he's 6 foot 4 and at full stretch. No blame attached to him for that one.

O'Donnell or Frankie wouldn't have been anywhere near it IMO as they're much shorter. Besides, I don't know what you're implying by saying that people are 'ignoring' it but all I've seen is people saying he's a potential future No1, which is fair enough.

1 minute ago, Coxy27 said:

He could have maybe, but it would have been a pretty spectacular save, and also he's 6 foot 4 and at full stretch. No blame attached to him for that one.

O'Donnell or Frankie wouldn't have been anywhere near it IMO as they're much shorter. Besides, I don't know what you're implying by saying that people are 'ignoring' it but all I've seen is people saying he's a potential future No1, which is fair enough.

He didn't move his feet particularly well and wasn't exactly at full stretch.  Foot movement is vital to firstly get closer to the ball and then to give yourself the momentum to dive further.  I fully expect him to be annoyed with himself with that one.  Not a blatant error but one that he might well feel he could have got too

• Admin

Considering Lučić wasn't considered for the earlier EFL cup matches (one of which Frankie was injured for) he must have come along massively in training to be given the chance to make his debut last week when the easy option would have been to give ROD a chance to make up for his recent mistakes. If he continues to progress at that rate, I wouldn't be surprised if he were to make his league debut this season.

Archived