IGNORED

The Official Bristol City v Leeds United Match Day Thread

Close game, good win. Some very good play on the break from us in the first part of the second half and  we were gritty in keeping them out when they pressed for an equaliser.

Tomlin was the catalyst for lots of our good play and we struggled to keep hold of the ball once he went off.

Freeman looked dangerous again and can be forgiven for his Bas Savage moment.

Very good 3 points and another welcome clean sheet.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, harrys said:

Tomlin in my opinion is the most talented player we've had at AG in the last 50 years

He's better than Jacki. For us, at least. Can't see LT scoring 4 in a game in Europe, or playing in a WC. It might take a thousand off the crowd Saturday, Tommo not playing.

People want to get themselves down AG and see Lee Tomlin and this team. This is good stuff

Good performance, good result.  

Pack (and I've often been a critic of his) was excellent, seems a much more accomplished player when he plays like a combative midfielder and keeps the passing simple.  Fantastic work rate and well created and taken goal.

Tomlin was genius again, if only he'd hit the target with the shot after playing the ball over his own head.

Luke Freeman was effective again and extremely hard working, and I really like the intelligence and touch Patterson shows on the ball.

Well done City, but let's not get carried away just yet - hope rather than expectation please!

Oh, and **** off Leeds and in particular **** off Chris Wood and that talentless streak of piss centre half that got subbed at half time.  Cynical cheating fouling toss pieces, it doesn't seem to matter what era it is Leeds never change.  They deserve their owner.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He was the difference tonight in my opinion and short of his replacement scoring a hattrick, curing all diseases and ending all wars, he will return to the team immediately.

Has come into form now and it's unfortunate he misses Saturday. Should have got himself booked against Derby so he only missed the cup match. But I think we have enough without him. Paterson is also form and Reid. 

Pack was brilliant , Tomlin excellent and ....... what's he point. They all played well, even though we were given a torrid time in spells. Mag's was getting roughed up and bullied but stuck to it and did ok. JB was struggling with Sacko but did really well getting forward , Bobby looks to be learninng from LT. Funny enough Tammy was the worst out there, they really did a number on him and we really didn't help him but missed a couple of decent chances. And I have to mention Freeman and Wilbs,AW showed what experience can do, gave their cb's much more to think about in his cameo than Tammy did all night. LF had an excellent game, If  I was being picky he maybe could have helped Joe more but lucky not to be booked for that blatant dive !

8 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Stumble!

It was  a Baz Savage on ice moment!

To be fair to Freeman he'd been running for an hour and a half by then.

He was justifiably knackered, as were most of his team mates, and it was to his credit that he was bursting forward at all at that stage.

Very harsh if LF gets any criticism or ridicule for that incident.

Like a number of other City players he had a very impressive game tonight, and his attitude and workrate were top notch.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

He was justifiably knackered, as were most of his team mates, and it was to his credit that he was bursting forward at all at that stage.

Like a number of other City players he had a very impressive game tonight, and his attitude and workrate were top notch.

LJ said in his interview that his legs had gone and he just couldn`t run any more. Fair play to Luke, an excellent performance along with many others against a rough and dirty team. Onwards and upwards.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Leveller said:

My take on this history lesson is that it's a bit weird to hark back to 500 AD (or CE).

its obviously more relevant to look at the 9th century after the Vikings invaded. That was when the North South divide started in England in my view. I think the difference in accents etc all dates back to the Wessex / Danelaw split.

So I regard all these games as Wessex v Danelaw. Dragging the Welsh into it! I hope you're feeling a bit sheepish.

I don't write the history i just report it. I'll try and see if the Vikings deserve inclusion on another occasion just for you Leveller.

7 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Joe Jordan is here.

Well, he would be wouldn't he. Local, City, Leeds.

7 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Allardyce off

7 hours ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Lars Lagerbäck of course

Right on cue just as I was about to say.. all is forgiven. Big Sam has already set the team up for the long ball so this is continuity.

5 hours ago, samo II said:

Tremendous.

Another hard-fought three points on the board, and an improved result on the same game last season; fantastic.

Also another clean sheet too; excellent to hear.

Really excited by this team; still think we're not seeing the full potential either.

COYR!

Agreed and that I do not believe we will see for the best part of a season so to be where we are after 10 games is very encouraging. 

8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The fact that Freemans legs totally went was a positive for me in a way. Can't knock someone who has literally given his all for the shirt!!

• Like 8
8 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Indeed. Freeman was right infront of me and it looked like he took too big a stride as  he was so desperate to make the effort to get forward. His legs just slipped from underneath him and he fell flat on his face, absolutely no question of a dive. I really felt for him, any groans were in sympathy for him not a critism against him. I hope he can add a goal at home soon, he certainly deserves one over the past few weeks...and I hope he doesn't grow his hair again so his form continues!

Just a quick mention about Pack, the armband certainly suits him. Another great performance, so happy he got a rare goal too. Lovely bloke, great player, well deserved.

Another all round team effort. Isn't it great!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

He's been at most games this season. Love how he casually walks in like any other fan. Proper legend. 

I saw him too walking along the concourse and went in the offices. He was with another man who made Joe look quite small, another scout or just a mate maybe?

Now I bet you are all going to say it was someone I should have recognised :facepalm:

My observations from an elevated position in the Dolman were as follows:

Overall a very determined performance albeit one lacking quality and composure at times. That said, we were up against a very decent team in a good run of form; not exactly the sort to be steamrollered. 

We started brightly but failed to take advantage of decent positions.  Little was especially guilty of wasting chances to deliver a cross and seemed to lack the ability to get the ball out from under his feet or show any great control when in good attacking positions.  After about 10 minutes he appeared to then sit back and offered nothing ahead of the excellent Paterson who had a very good half and looks a quality signing.

Leeds came into the game from that point and bossed the half up until the last five minutes. It was both their attacking intent and our inability to do the simple things well that invited numerous easy chances. At one point we had six across the back but all backed off and let their players run at our box. Magnusson for me did not look in good form. He gave the ball away and too often launched hopeless balls to an isolated Abraham. He did not appear to have the composure playing out that I'd expected. He wasn't awful by any means but wasn't assured. I felt Fielding too packed composure at times despite some good saves. 

We ended the half stronger as the game grew a little heated and their CB appeared to want to be sent off (he was then subbed at half time). Abraham had two good chances, slicing the first but was well marshalled for the second. 

Second half we played much more on the from foot and got in to tackles early to win back possession. Reid and Pack played well together with Freeman and Paterson causing problems for Leeds all night. Freeman looks to be in the best form for some time, even if he's still guilty of overplaying it or holding on to ball for too long at times.  

Bryan definitely had his hands full with Sacko but did very well against a class player. He could have been helped more by Magnusson whose positioning didn't help him at times. 

Moore was solid enough when he came on and did well to get up to the pace of the game given he'd had no time to warm up. He's a bit hands on with the opposition players which could lead to more penalties awarded against him if he's too touch tight. He looked composed though and won some good headers and kept his winger quiet. 

We played some really neat attacking/counter attacking stuff at times with Tomlin at the heart of most of it, not least Pack's well taken goal. We really look to have some incredible attacking ability with so many options, it's wonderful to see. 

Overall I was most impressed by Paterson, Bryan, Reid, Tomlin and Freeman with Magnusson my only doubt last night. Don't get me wrong, he looks like he'll be a decent player but I wonder if Flint and Moore might be a better pairing? 

Very pleasing result and some flashes of brilliance. For effort alone it was a 10/10 performance. If we can add a consistency to the quality then we are looking a very decent side, capable of a top 10 finish at least. 

Edited by Hartleysbeard
  • Like 1