IGNORED

Man on the PA

bs3

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He said he knows nothing about football?! Why employ him then? Surely that should have been an essential requirement in the job description?! Dear me.

Probably easier to take a good popular broadcaster/radio presenter and producer and teach them a little about football, than take a good football stato and make them a decent presenter....  he knew nothing about Rugby until he started covering it for Sam FM, but he learned fast and got the Rugby match day slot... and I am sure he will become equally adept with us.

8 hours ago, bs3 said:

He seems to know sod all about football and Bristol City.

When reading the players names out at the beginning of the match he never welcomed back Luke Ayling (probably didn't know who he was),  he just read his name out.  Not something DaveL would of done, he would have made a point to give a warm return to Luke.

Bring back DaveL, he knew what he was talking about , a love for the club and a connection with the fans.

I despair. We win 1 nil and people still find things to moan about.

Thought he had really improved over last few weeks.   Continue that improvement and he'all do just fine.

plenty of times in previous seasons that former players haven't been welcomed back,

DaveL stopped doing it I believe because he was never 100% sure if a player would be a cheer or a boo so easiest to just say the name and let the crowd decide if they want to clap, if a player is significant enough we will already know he is coming  back.

no one needed reminding that Luke was back and it was nice to see him get a decent reception.

• Admin
9 hours ago, shelts said:

Luke Ayling was decent enough for us. Very glad our DJ just said his name and nowt more. Played in a good side that won the double but by no means a great favourite or legend at the Gate. 

Nice that when playing in front of the Dolman he clapped us and we clapped him. Enough z. 

16 minutes ago, Bowie said:

no one needed reminding that Luke was back and it was nice to see him get a decent reception.

Exactly that - no need for any pointless announcements - the respect comes from the fans and rightly applauded his name and at the end as he left the pitch

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Odd point of view to be 'very glad' that his name was read out and 'nowt more' but ok.

For a club with such meager achievements as ours, surely the least that should be expected is the announcer to say 'welcome back' before the name of a player who was part of a double winning side. 

I am pleased that the new announcer does seem to have taken criticism and suggestions on board and actively tried to improve. Doesn't appear to have sulked about it, or have an ego and just tried his best to make improvement that fans requested. That's not always the case with staff here so it's good to see.

IMO welcoming back former players often polarises opinion anyway.

Had he said 'welcome back Luke' I think we could easily be reading a thread today by someone saying

"why is he saying that? He isn't our player anymore, concentrate on our players, let's make Ashton Gate a fortress teams don't want to play at, not a school reunion party".

Damned if you do.........

3 hours ago, Fiale said:

Probably easier to take a good popular broadcaster/radio presenter and producer and teach them a little about football, than take a good football stato and make them a decent presenter....  he knew nothing about Rugby until he started covering it for Sam FM, but he learned fast and got the Rugby match day slot... and I am sure he will become equally adept with us.

True and a fair point, but I dare say it could have been possible to have found a competent broadcaster with an interest and knowledge of sport.

I think he's doing well. When I first started as Matchday announcer, not everybody liked my style, but after a while people seemed to get used to it, and I certainly learned a lot as I went along. It's not an easy job, and I think Downsy, Tim and Adam make a good team. 

• Admin
50 minutes ago, Dave L said:

I think he's doing well. When I first started as Matchday announcer, not everybody liked my style, but after a while people seemed to get used to it, and I certainly learned a lot as I went along. It's not an easy job, and I think Downsy, Tim and Adam make a good team. 

Would agree with @Dave L I expect there is a degree of nerves playing the part

With my job I used to be wary of speaking in a small meeting, nowadays have no problem standing up and talking infront of large numbers - BUT it does take time !

Just to clear things up, the "Man on the PA" in question regarding the Luke Ayling announcement was actually me.... not Ian Downs.

There are actually two announcers at Ashton Gate - Ian Downs and myself. Ian does everything pitchside - so all pre-match information, birthdays, messages, interviews with fans etc. I do all  the in-game announcing such as subs, goals, added minutes etc as well as reading the teams just before kick off (and about half an hour before too). I've been doing it for the last 8 seasons (9 including this one) and have worked alongside @Dave L until he stepped down at the end of last season.

I know Ian came in for a bit of stick earlier in the season, but as many fans have been quick to point out - he has taken everything on board and listened to the feedback. Also, as @Dave L pointed out - sometimes people take time to get used to change....and I agree that Ian is doing a great job! 

But back to Luke Ayling. If you wonder why I didnt make a big deal out of him returning - its because I didnt have to. I knew that he would get a good reception. Thats why I paused after reading his name when announcing the teams, to allow fans to show their appreciation. Also - we have been guilty in the past of making a big deal out of a returning player who then went on to score against us on his return.

If fans really appreciate the job a former player has done for the club, then I have every confidence that the applause would be given without having to be prompted by whoever is on the mic. 

6 hours ago, Tim S said:

Just to clear things up, the "Man on the PA" in question regarding the Luke Ayling announcement was actually me.... not Ian Downs.

There are actually two announcers at Ashton Gate - Ian Downs and myself. Ian does everything pitchside - so all pre-match information, birthdays, messages, interviews with fans etc. I do all  the in-game announcing such as subs, goals, added minutes etc as well as reading the teams just before kick off (and about half an hour before too). I've been doing it for the last 8 seasons (9 including this one) and have worked alongside @Dave L until he stepped down at the end of last season.

I know Ian came in for a bit of stick earlier in the season, but as many fans have been quick to point out - he has taken everything on board and listened to the feedback. Also, as @Dave L pointed out - sometimes people take time to get used to change....and I agree that Ian is doing a great job! 

But back to Luke Ayling. If you wonder why I didnt make a big deal out of him returning - its because I didnt have to. I knew that he would get a good reception. Thats why I paused after reading his name when announcing the teams, to allow fans to show their appreciation. Also - we have been guilty in the past of making a big deal out of a returning player who then went on to score against us on his return.

If fans really appreciate the job a former player has done for the club, then I have every confidence that the applause would be given without having to be prompted by whoever is on the mic. 

All good points Tim, as you say, who needed to be reminded that Luke Ayling only played for us about 4 weeks ago? :) . Keep up the good work. 

Archived