IGNORED

That bit when their no 18 kicked the ball

EnclosureSurge

I love threads that start..."That throw-in!" or "Did you see that goal-kick?" and such like...

Anyway...

It's in time-honoured tradition that I begin by saying, mods feel free to merge and haven't seen this posted anywhere (but I couldn't be arsed looking, that's why)...

But what the **** was their no 18 doing when he welted the ball into the Nelson Mandela gardens during a break in play? What a madman. Liked the way he 'pretended' to have an injury after that, to get subbed at h-t (worked a treat). But not as much as I loved the way, when his orange dap came off, he slipped over but then got up and played on. Unlike their right winger, who fell over at every opportunity but was miraculously ok ten seconds later.

Anyway, anyone see no 18 launch the ball into orbit?

• Admin
3 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

But what the **** was their no 18 doing when he welted the ball into the Nelson Mandela gardens during a break in play? What a madman. Liked the way he 'pretended' to have an injury after that, to get subbed at h-t (worked a treat). But not as much as I loved the way, when his orange dap came off, he slipped over but then got up and played on. Unlike their right winger, who fell over at every opportunity but was miraculously ok ten seconds later.

It was quite a humerous moment he clearly saw the red mist for a few minutes at the end of the half - he was lucky to not be sent off

So no real surprise to see him subbed at half time - Leeds to have this ability to have nut jobs at centre half though, they bombed one out and replaced with him

The ball has just been caught !

Image result for football kicked into space

5 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

I love threads that start..."That throw-in!" or "Did you see that goal-kick?" and such like...

Anyway...

It's in time-honoured tradition that I begin by saying, mods feel free to merge and haven't seen this posted anywhere but I couldn't be arsed looking, that's why)...

No idea what he was doing. Green had previously launched the ball into the Lansdown stand for no apparent reason as well. Apart from being quite bizarre it's also not such a great idea. A few years back when I was sitting in the Atyeo, we'd conceded yet another goal and a frustrated David James launched the ball high into the stand, which rebounded, came back down and smacked the old fella sat in front of us on the head. Not good.

The ball was flat!

There was a flat ball which Rob Green booted into the stand so it wouldn't be recycled into play, however, it was returned by the fans and it got back on to the pitch. So at the next break in play, the defender hoofed to out of the stadium to make sure they didn't have to use it again.

He tried to explain that, but was booked. I actually think it was very harsh and the referee could have applied some common sense.

11 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

The ball was flat!

There was a flat ball which Rob Green booted into the stand so it wouldn't be recycled into play, however, it was returned by the fans and it got back on to the pitch. So at the next break in play, the defender hoofed to out of the stadium to make sure they didn't have to use it again.

He tried to explain that, but was booked. I actually think it was very harsh and the referee could have applied some common sense.

Let the ref deal with it then. Give him the ball and he can sort it out. 

Didn't help himself, got himself rattled and had to come off at half time, much to our advantage. 

I thought he looked an excellent centre back. 

17 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

The ball was flat!

So for anyone learning the game in your opinion that is the correct thing to do. :bonkers:

10 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Didn't help himself, got himself rattled and had to come off at half time, much to our advantage. 

Totally agree. Hoofing the ball into the crowd on purpose is out of order. As for belting it out of the ground... quite bizarre really.

26 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

The ball was flat!

It was harsh bearing in mind the ball was flat, but it's not the players place to make that decision, he should have given it to the ref, not taken it out on the nearest low flying aircraft. 

25 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

The ball was flat!

The one that Green booted out was given to a steward/official after it came back in play (I watched it happen) so it can't have been the same one. 

Unless the steward didn't realise it was supposed to be gotten rid of and put it back with the rest of the balls?

39 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

Totally agree the referee should make the call on it, and that he looked a good player, just saying I think (controversial as it may be to suggest a referee use such a thing) that some degree of common sense could have been applied.

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

So for anyone learning the game in your opinion that is the correct thing to do. :bonkers:

Not at all, but please see above re: applying some common sense to situations. Something robotic referees seem to find impossible.

It was the most weird thing for a player to do since the World Cup years ago, when a guy from one of the African countries broke from the defensive wall at a free kick against his team and belted the ball up the other end. As they say, there's nowt so queer as folk. (no homophobic undertones).

49 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

It was harsh bearing in mind the ball was flat, but it's not the players place to make that decision, he should have given it to the ref, not taken it out on the nearest low flying aircraft. 

And of course the fact that Leeds were happy at that point of the game to waste a bit of time didn't cross the player's mind ;)

40 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

Totally agree the referee should make the call on it, and that he looked a good player, just saying I think (controversial as it may be to suggest a referee use such a thing) that some degree of common sense could have been applied.

Not at all, but please see above re: applying some common sense to situations. Something robotic referees seem to find impossible.

Boozing him was exactly the right thing to do. It was not a flat ball and even if it was he shouldn't have done that. Pathetic.

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

The ball was flat!

Why didn't just give the ball to the ref and explain the ball was flat.

Ridiculous just to hoof the ball out of the stadium, deservedly booked.

42 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Why didn't just give the ball to the ref and explain the ball was flat.

Ridiculous just to hoof the ball out of the stadium, deservedly booked.

Exactly. What was the ref going to do if he allowed that, every time anyone wants to waste a bit of time, kill the momentum and allow players a chance to regroup and get into position? The player could just boot a ball out of the stadium and say it was flat whether it was or not. The player did that and delayed the game, almost like when they are booked for taking their shirt off when celebrating as far as the Ref is concerned.

Yes it sounds harsh when you write it down like this but it was no accident. Nor was it an accident when moments later the player hauled the Ref back to complain, players have been booked for less in recent games, and even sent off. This I think led to Tomlin and another Leeds player being booked shortly after. 

3 hours ago, Fatalist said:

It was the most weird thing for a player to do since the World Cup years ago, when a guy from one of the African countries broke from the defensive wall at a free kick against his team and belted the ball up the other end. As they say, there's nowt so queer as folk. (no homophobic undertones).

Unbelievable - that's exactly what I said to Our Man next to me. Zaire, wasn't it? 1974? Maybe 78? And the commentary mentioned something about 'naive Africans'. Possibly the first use of this tired old gael cliche. It was certainly trotted out for Cameroon in 90, and still puts in an appearance (usually in the likes of Clyde "Too Many Ys" Tyldesley's mouth) to this day any time an African nation does something a little silly at a World Cup. Do they use this phrase commentating on the African Cup of Nations games?). Someone'll find the youtube clip.

4 hours ago, Fatalist said:

You mean this little chuckle?

5 hours ago, Coxy27 said:

I actually think it was very harsh and the referee could have applied some common sense.

I thought he did.

He obviously had the same opinion as me that Leeds are, and always have been, dirty cheating northern barstewards, and common sense says they should be booked whenever possible!!!

:innocent06:

Read a few comments on social media from Leeds fans earlier in the week as to how their no. 18 (Pontus Jansson) was going to "snap Tammy in half", "eat him for breakfast" (though surely at that time of the night it would technically be "dinner" in a middle class household, or "tea" elsewhere).

Anyway, I thought he was very impressive early on but then he just completely lost it, after that bizarre incident with kicking it into the crowd (very Gerald Lavin) he then started arguing with his central defensive partner and then had that wild fly hack at the ball near his own goal line that went out for the last corner of the first half.

It was no surprise at all he was subbed off at HT, his head had gone and he'd had definitely collected a second yellow otherwise.

Archived