IGNORED

What is the cameraman on? (Merged)

ChippenhamRed

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Personally I think the camera should just hold the default live broadcast position, swing left and right to follow the play, and nothing more. Don't change the zoom at all.

As you say, if you want close ups as well, use a second camera.

Having been responsible for shooting and editing TV match coverage many years ago I'd say that it's shot as it is to make it easier to edit the highlights...back in the day no one noticed because there was no option to watch anything else. Crash zooms to close ups after goals and to crowd shots, close ups of players at the start of a move...they all make it easier to cut in and out of the action. The answer would be more than one camera as you say.

Completely agree.

With all these new stadium changes I try to caveat all of my comments/complaints with the fact that all of these new features are bound to have teething problems and will be fixed over time. 

This is ridiculous however. It's clearly terrible. Everyone knows it. Tell the cameraman not to zoom in quite so much; as other posters have said, it doesn't show off our stadium and is terrible to watch. This should be immediately fixable after 1 game, not 5!

On 29 September 2016 at 16:57, Red Exile said:

Having been responsible for shooting and editing TV match coverage many years ago I'd say that it's shot as it is to make it easier to edit the highlights...back in the day no one noticed because there was no option to watch anything else. Crash zooms to close ups after goals and to crowd shots, close ups of players at the start of a move...they all make it easier to cut in and out of the action. The answer would be more than one camera as you say.

That's exactly it. He's paid to shoot for the broadcasters' highlights edit and will be following their brief. Any other usage, such as by the club is secondary. For a better result, they need to provide another cameraman or preferably two with a experienced director.

I can deal with City being left right to the end of the bill on Channel 5 with no mention or praise despite being in 5th with the top scorer in the league - just about.

But the camerawork for this game was worse than ever, quite embarrassing to be honest. Zooming in, out, not focusing on the City players when celebrating the goals. The last highlight (as far as I could tell Reid was taking a shot) was filmed so poorly that you could barely understand who had the ball.

The camera's positioned fairly high up in the stand, that makes the job of the camera operator quite easy, surely. A teensy bit of zooming is fine, but when you go in so far that you can only see one player on the ball it totally ruins it.

I don't mean to be so annoyed, but as someone who doesn't live locally, these highlights are often the closest I can get to being at a match. I can't listen to the commentary, and as a student I don't want to have to pay for Player. 

It's made all the worse when every other game on the show is filmed very smoothly and competently. 

16 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I can deal with City being left right to the end of the bill on Channel 5 with no mention or praise despite being in 5th with the top scorer in the league - just about.

But the camerawork for this game was worse than ever, quite embarrassing to be honest. Zooming in, out, not focusing on the City players when celebrating the goals. The last highlight (as far as I could tell Reid was taking a shot) was filmed so poorly that you could barely understand who had the ball.

The camera's positioned fairly high up in the stand, that makes the job of the camera operator quite easy, surely. A teensy bit of zooming is fine, but when you go in so far that you can only see one player on the ball it totally ruins it.

I don't mean to be so annoyed, but as someone who doesn't live locally, these highlights are often the closest I can get to being at a match. I can't listen to the commentary, and as a student I don't want to have to pay for Player. 

It's made all the worse when every other game on the show is filmed very smoothly and competently. 

Hi Luxo, this has been discussed extensively on another thread. Adam Baker has confirmed tonight that club have lodged a complaint about the camera work.

10 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

it's embarrassing - the longer it goes on the more amateur it makes everyone associated look - it may not be City's choice but it makes us look amature, makes channel 5 look amature and for those that have had the explanation it makes ITV look amature.

This is our national image and it's currently being spoilt by a camera person that looks like they have never used a camera before.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Hi Luxo, this has been discussed extensively on another thread. Adam Baker has confirmed tonight that club have lodged a complaint about the camera work.

Thanks for letting me know, apologies for starting a new thread, couldn't find this one and just started typing! 

Good to know City are taking measures to change it, anyway. 

Archived