IGNORED

What is the cameraman on? (Merged)

ChippenhamRed

...and how much longer do we have to put up with it? I mean, seriously....

@AdamB hope you're on the case. I know on Twitter you said you'd be speaking to ITN about it, but that was back in August. Five homes games in now and still as bad as ever - why? A real shame that our first season at the new stadium isn't being captured as it should be.

7 minutes ago, Fiale said:

I watched the full game earlier - the blurry shots, the weird closeups, losing the ball, strange jerky panning - I can only assume he's pretty new to the job. 

That's no excuse. You train to be a cameraman. You don't learn on the job when thousands of supporters from two clubs are relying on you to capture the action - not to mention the hundreds of thousands who will see the highlights on Sky, C5 etc. 

That's like sending around an apprentice electrician around to rewire your house on his first day.

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

That's no excuse. You train to be a cameraman. You don't learn on the job when thousands of supporters from two clubs are relying on you to capture the action - not to mention the hundreds of thousands who will see the highlights on Sky, C5 etc. 

That's like sending around an apprentice electrician around to rewire your house on his first day.

Depends, its quite likely just the analyst who is filming this, and they could quite easily be under instruction to zoom in and out for certain things for the analysis.

4 minutes ago, hodge said:

Depends, its quite likely just the analyst who is filming this, and they could quite easily be under instruction to zoom in and out for certain things for the analysis.

Eh? The analyst is filming the game and the same footage is being used for broadcast? With respect I don't think that's the explanation.

There is also absolutely no consistency to what is zoomed and what isn't.

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Eh? The analyst is filming the game and the same footage is being used for broadcast? With respect I don't think that's the explanation.

There is also absolutely no consistency to what is zoomed and what isn't.

More than likely otherwise you're asking someone like a cameraman to be there to film 90 minutes of which only 2-3 will be seen. Got people on my course who are first team analysts and they do the filming of matches.

22 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I was shocked to find out he didn't have a clue.

Seriously, the camera should be zoomed out just to show off the home crowd and give some scale to how big the 'new' Gate is. From the current angle we might as well be at Twerton filming from a cherry-picker.

44 minutes ago, sephjnr said:

I was shocked to find out he didn't have a clue.

Seriously, the camera should be zoomed out just to show off the home crowd and give some scale to how big the 'new' Gate is. From the current angle we might as well be at Twerton filming from a cherry-picker.

In all fairness he does at times, ground looks amazing on camera.

ScreenShot_20160928200216.png

Dreadful camera work again and again and after Adam Baker said he would be having a word. So, that clearly hasn't worked then.

There is just no need to zoom in with jerky, reactionary panning, trying to guess which direction the ball might take and you also loose the wider field of play around the player in posession.

Sure, zoom in on the players when they are celebrating or other dead ball situations briefly, but this low quality service that's being provided is a head-ache inducing mess.

Just look at the other league club footage over the weekend to see the difference!

It is terrible. It might be the camera isn't right for the job - the stand is a big old thing and it will need a decent lens to be both wide and tight on the shots. For me it looks like the camera is struggling on the close ups as he's on the limits of his zoom.

ideally you have 2 (or 3 cameras ) one does what's called an Iso - and holds wide, the other does the close ups, but I suspect the budget for editing is nil, so they expect a one man operator to get the footage and deliver it without any other input.

he / she would be better not going too tight on the shots and keeping it smoother!

7 minutes ago, Antman said:

It is terrible. It might be the camera isn't right for the job - the stand is a big old thing and it will need a decent lens to be both wide and tight on the shots. For me it looks like the camera is struggling on the close ups as he's on the limits of his zoom.

ideally you have 2 (or 3 cameras ) one does what's called an Iso - and holds wide, the other does the close ups, but I suspect the budget for editing is nil, so they expect a one man operator to get the footage and deliver it without any other input.

he / she would be better not going too tight on the shots and keeping it smoother!

Personally I think the camera should just hold the default live broadcast position, swing left and right to follow the play, and nothing more. Don't change the zoom at all.

As you say, if you want close ups as well, use a second camera.

Archived