IGNORED

Ten games in, what do you think at this stage?

Jerseybean

19 hours ago, nickolas said:

My thoughts are that we can make a change to basically every position and not harm the quality ( bar Tammy ). 

What a great squad. We shouldnt get carried away but i think we may surprise everyone and coast into top 6 and flirt with top 2. Dont forget we technically have plenty of dough available for January to 'go for it' should we be in a decent position and SL wants to push for the prem. 

what with the ground and the squad im like a little kid getting excited every game to go and watch! Long may it continue. 

P.s - hopefully we can start pushing 22-23k regularly soon too. 

We'll only do that if the club reduce their POTD prices.. 38 quid against Forest is ridiculous and will put the more casual fan off of being a regular attending fan. A lot of fuss was made by our fans on the extortionate prices for away fans at Wednesday and Leeds last season so a little perspective.

Other than that, excellent start by the team, long may it continue :)

1 hour ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

We'll only do that if the club reduce their POTD prices.. 38 quid against Forest is ridiculous and will put the more casual fan off of being a regular attending fan. A lot of fuss was made by our fans on the extortionate prices for away fans at Wednesday and Leeds last season so a little perspective.

Other than that, excellent start by the team, long may it continue :)

I tend to agree about pricing DWC, but on the flip side it's only fair to say that we have Blackburn game where it's bring a friend for a tenner, followed by Hull four days later at £12 each. So I'll be going to two games for a total of £22. Those are the opportunities to grab the new fans and casuals.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm not sure I agree that we've been "frighteningly inconsistent". While I can't claim to have been to every game, my impression is that our performance levels - if not our results - have been fairly consistent. Yes, there have been ups and downs, but you would expect that. What I do know is, you can always rely on this team for effort. The fact that no team has beaten us by more than the odd goal suggests we are competitive in every game and our performance level is reasonably consistent. Not something you could say last season.

My inclusion of 'frighteningly inconsistent' probably better translates as 'not yet able to play well as a team for 90 minutes', as was the case again today, thought we were poor in the first half, better in the second. Be great if we could play consistently well for 90 minutes.

23 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I tend to agree about pricing DWC, but on the flip side it's only fair to say that we have Blackburn game where it's bring a friend for a tenner, followed by Hull four days later at £12 each. So I'll be going to two games for a total of £22. Those are the opportunities to grab the new fans and casuals.

My guess is that the strategy is to try to convince as many customers fans as possible that they should buy season tickets next season, as that's the way to get decent value. If so, I wouldn't expect to see much/any reduction in POTD this season

4 minutes ago, Cider_boy said:

My guess is that the strategy is to try to convince as many customers fans as possible that they should buy season tickets next season, as that's the way to get decent value. If so, I wouldn't expect to see much/any reduction in POTD this season

The prices are set for the season so I don't think anyone is expecting reductions this year, aside from the occasional offer!

Season tickets are unquestionably the best value but there should always be a fair POTD price, as season tickets do not suit everyone's circumstances - and a potential new fan isn't going to buy a season ticket straight away. There needs to be an accessible, affordable option for both new supporters and non-STH regulars. Pricing out POTD fans isn't a good way to grow the fanbase.

31 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Not being negative but as of tonight we have played 3 teams in the top ten and lost to all of them !

Sterner tests to come but what a fantastic start.

that's fine, we just need to keep stamping on the hands of those trying to climb up beneath us....

As others have already said, I think the challenge will be managing the expectations of fans. We've made a decent start, got some decent players and look a good side, but talk of promotion, in my view, is a little premature.

Things have gone really well so far. Good competitive sqaud. Great results, could've been better in the league and were on a cup run. Ashton gate looks mint. Attendances are more than we could've hoped for. League position as we speak fourth is above and beyond . Our billionaire backer is still onboard. Our manager is clever and articulate and making quite a name for himself, he's also English. :clapping:

AND WE AINT ROVERS

Life is sweet in the BS3 wonderland 

23 minutes ago, Kim_il_sung said:

To prove my above point, take a look at the match thread when we were 1-0 down. The mood was grim, slagging off of tactics, players and even the attendance was branded "pathetic".  Keep your feet on the floor guys!

People on a matchday thread, presumably not at the game, criticising the attendance..?! 

And that's completely ignoring the fact that 19k is far from pathetic! 

• Admin
On 01/10/2016 at 11:23, GrahamC said:

No idea where you are getting that figure from.

Angers had a very large sell on clause (30%) for the Kodjia move, the Bolasie deal netted us in the region of £4m plus we have spent a lot of money on bringing in a whole team of players in the summer.

Moore and Engvall for instance, around £3m in total and yet for understandable reasons they have barely featured so far.

If we spent over £5m in January I'd be amazed.

According to a radio interview with Simon Jordan last week, the Bolasie sellon clause was worth £9m to us. Add that to the £1m from Adomah, approx £2m from our own sales £9m initial fee for Kodjia (less Anger's 30%) and you get £21m. I agree that we've done most of our spending already in the Summer, but that shows how comfortable we will be in January if LJ wants to bolster the squad for a promotion push. I'd be instructing our scouts to find a right sided version of Joe Bryan and possibly 1 more striker and that would be it for me.

Really good start, I won't echo what everyone else had said.

However, find it crazy how, (although it would have been a surprise at the start of the season) that we realistically should have another 7 points. 2 Flint errors vs Rotherham (2), the whole Flint/Wednesday shenanigans (3) and the Flint/Derby back pass (2).

Obviously not ALL Flints fault (before I get slated).

On 10/1/2016 at 22:25, Kim_il_sung said:

To prove my above point, take a look at the match thread when we were 1-0 down. The mood was grim, slagging off of tactics, players and even the attendance was branded "pathetic".  Keep your feet on the floor guys!

I do struggle to understand the mentality of people who post such negativity early on in the match day threads, it's almost as id they have a masochistic streak or they feel that somehow their posts will change the game. 

10 hours ago, Ian M said:

According to a radio interview with Simon Jordan last week, the Bolasie sellon clause was worth £9m to us. Add that to the £1m from Adomah, approx £2m from our own sales £9m initial fee for Kodjia (less Anger's 30%) and you get £21m. I agree that we've done most of our spending already in the Summer, but that shows how comfortable we will be in January if LJ wants to bolster the squad for a promotion push. I'd be instructing our scouts to find a right sided version of Joe Bryan and possibly 1 more striker and that would be it for me.

Jordan is a bullshitter, no way did we get a third of the whole Bolasie deal.

Archived