IGNORED

Ten games in, what do you think at this stage?

Jerseybean

So although it's a marathon and not a sprint as we reach the end of September it's a chance to reflect on the season now we are ten league games in. Be pleased to see what others have to say; my ten point synopsis goes like this:

1) Decent start to the season, currently 6th and although we are frighteningly inconsistent, there are lots of positives. Things should perhaps have been even better if we consider the 'if only's' of football including Pato's 90th minute strike at Rotherham, if only it had gone in rather than hitting the post, Tomo's missed penalty and then conceding so late at Sheffield Wednesday, if only neither had occurred, etc
2) Remain in the EFL Cup, with a winnable home tie next
3) Squad seemingly gelling well and demonstrating good character/belief
4) LJ managing to rotate the squad effectively
5) Tammy is already a huge hero
6) Newcomers to BS3 are all looking promising 
7) Good support home and away and the new stadium is bedding-in
8) Concerned about Korey's delayed return to action
9) Tomo's discipline needs to improve +++
10) Still see us finishing in the middle third of the table, being realistic anything higher than 8th would be a bonus

What would you add or disagree with?

I would say we've come quite along way since SC left . Really enjoying watching city and the play offs would be fantastic although I would be happy with top 10 then build on that . No team have outplayed us and now teams are starting to fear us . Good size crowds . Chance of the quarterfinals. I am very much looking forward to what the future brings.

i was only thinking yesterday that compared to last year,the start to this season has been flippin awesome.

have to admit,mixed feelings when jk left but now i see why. far less offsides too.

another big like from me this season is wilbs,still doing well not looking like an old man,oh yes, and bobby reid having a great start with joe bryan oozing class too. just luvin it

My thoughts are that we can make a change to basically every position and not harm the quality ( bar Tammy ). 

What a great squad. We shouldnt get carried away but i think we may surprise everyone and coast into top 6 and flirt with top 2. Dont forget we technically have plenty of dough available for January to 'go for it' should we be in a decent position and SL wants to push for the prem. 

what with the ground and the squad im like a little kid getting excited every game to go and watch! Long may it continue. 

P.s - hopefully we can start pushing 22-23k regularly soon too. 

23 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I would say we've come quite along way since SC left . Really enjoying watching city and the play offs would be fantastic although I would be happy with top 10 then build on that . No team have outplayed us and now teams are starting to fear us . Good size crowds . Chance of the quarterfinals. I am very much looking forward to what the future brings.

Totally agree. We've come on leaps and bounds under LJ and Ashton. It's quite astounding really comparing where we were to how we've started this season.

Total transformation in every facet. The stadium has gone a long way to helping, but I'm excited by the fact that we finally seem to have got it all together! We've got serious momentum and it's being noticed.

The only thing missing for the long term is our own striker. But a strong season and that'll be so much easier. In the meantime, we've got the best young striker in the country banging them in and loving life. Good times all round 

9 hours ago, Jerseybean said:

So although it's a marathon and not a sprint as we reach the end of September it's a chance to reflect on the season now we are ten league games in. Be pleased to see what others have to say; my ten point synopsis goes like this:

1) Decent start to the season, currently 6th and although we are frighteningly inconsistent, there are lots of positives. Things should perhaps have been even better if we consider the 'if only's' of football including Pato's 90th minute strike at Rotherham, if only it had gone in rather than hitting the post, Tomo's missed penalty and then conceding so late at Sheffield Wednesday, if only neither had occurred, etc
2) Remain in the EFL Cup, with a winnable home tie next
3) Squad seemingly gelling well and demonstrating good character/belief
4) LJ managing to rotate the squad effectively
5) Tammy is already a huge hero
6) Newcomers to BS3 are all looking promising 
7) Good support home and away and the new stadium is bedding-in
8) Concerned about Korey's delayed return to action
9) Tomo's discipline needs to improve +++
10) Still see us finishing in the middle third of the table, being realistic anything higher than 8th would be a bonus

What would you add or disagree with?

Great start-were an exciting 'work in progress'...need to keep the ball better,and still one injury away from a genuine problem(Tammy)...re;injuries-what is going on now with Korey??..anyone know?...Tommo??...class,pity about him being so 'chopsy'..goes with the territory?.. Not so sure he can't get a grip, at least improve....no worry's about going down.

Been a great start and I agree it could have been even better. The feeling I get from reading interviews from staff and players is that they do believe the top 6 is possible and I agree it is. My concern, like many others, is scoring goals if Tammy goes off the boil, he is only 18!,or gets injured.

Apart from that I think we are well covered all over the pitch, and as someone mentioned above there is in theory, money in the bank to strengthen in January, which probably will happen if we are still in with a chance of the play-offs. I doubt that we will go up but I think its important to get into the top 6, if possible, as it send out a message for potential transfer targets next summer and also should help ST sales next season too.

I feel confident that City can finish in the top 6, although a lot of this depends on Tammy staying fit and healthy, and in rich goal-scoring form.

This city team is one that will continue to develop and grow as the season progresses, which should mean we finish even stronger than we started.

The fact that we are doing so well without Korey's involvement is a good sign, because at some stage he is going to return to the fold 100% fit, which will feel like a new player.

Players like O'Dowda will become increasingly more dangerous with improved Championship experience, and Freeman now looks like someone who is going to flourish and take the division by the scruff of the neck.  Our squad is brimming with natural talent.

Tis true, the season ahead is an exciting one.

My biggest worry is that after our summer business and our start to the season, there seems to be an expectation that we are going to push for the top six which leads to a lot of pressure. Indeed when we failed to beat Derby and Rotherham, there were tantrums on this forum. Can we not just enjoy the fact that we are finally competitive in this division without having too much expectation because I dont believe our squad is the finished article yet.

Some very balanced views on this thread so far. No-one getting carried away or over optimistic.

Personally I'm delighted with the first 10 games. As already said no team has outplayed us and we've caused other teams some serious problems.

What really impressed me was the battling win on Tuesday night. The City fought for the entire 90mins against a really tough team. I left AG with that real "buzz" something that's been rare in recent times. For me that's a sign that City are currently in a good space.

Been pleasantly surprised so far but it's been nice to see what's happening around the club on and off the pitch. Especially bearing in mind that early last season we couldn't (or wouldn't) fill the bench! 

I think luck evens itself out over a season, for the Rotherham and Wednesday games there are Wigan and Burton late winners!

Will be interesting to see come January if we are in a similar position with the Bolasie money ready to spend, we could really push on! 

I hadn't realised the season was going so quickly - need to get to a few more games to watch the work in progress.

It certainly has not been boring and from what (albeit limited) I have seen I like the way we approach the game. I also like LJ's willingness to make major changes during a game.

It's also a good feeling to be on a bit of a cup run. All in all I think we are doing well of many fronts both on and off the pitch.

I'm not sure I agree that we've been "frighteningly inconsistent". While I can't claim to have been to every game, my impression is that our performance levels - if not our results - have been fairly consistent. Yes, there have been ups and downs, but you would expect that. What I do know is, you can always rely on this team for effort. The fact that no team has beaten us by more than the odd goal suggests we are competitive in every game and our performance level is reasonably consistent. Not something you could say last season.

Got to echo much of what has been already said on here. It's a nice feeling to believe we have gone into games on a much more equal footing than this time last season. No we can't financially match the Big Boys with their parachute payments, but we are having a really good go with ability and certainly holding our own regarding battling and working as a team. 

Im no longer looking for the 'easier' teams to play as on our day I believe we are capible of beating anyone.

1 hour ago, Kim_il_sung said:

My biggest worry is that after our summer business and our start to the season, there seems to be an expectation that we are going to push for the top six which leads to a lot of pressure. Indeed when we failed to beat Derby and Rotherham, there were tantrums on this forum. Can we not just enjoy the fact that we are finally competitive in this division without having too much expectation because I dont believe our squad is the finished article yet.

Agree, think we will finish in the middle third of the table and we should be content with that, then look to improve still further next season 

Agree with all of the OPs points and top 8 would be great and would like to think we can achieve 10th, but if luck goes our way I'd be a little bit disappointed if playoffs were out of reach with 5 to go.

im always interested to know how often people have seen us so for the avoidance of doubt I'm an ST holder. Missed all August matches. Thought we should have punished Derby, they were bad and Leeds game could have gone either way but I'll take dirty 1 nils for the rest of the season. 

As for today, I'd be disappointed not to win. Let's get behind them

Early games tend to define most of the season. Start badly and is hard to escape relegation battle, start well and always have the chances to aim for top 6. 

I think expectations are positive. Say you're bottom 3 and home to mid - table leeds you accept draws as but when you are nearer top you really try to beat them. 

Today is a classic example vs Forest. In reality either could win but hopefully we'll be going all out for the win without so much worry of the consequences 

11 minutes ago, shamussy said:

Early games tend to define most of the season. Start badly and is hard to escape relegation battle, start well and always have the chances to aim for top 6. 

I think expectations are positive. Say you're bottom 3 and home to mid - table leeds you accept draws as but when you are nearer top you really try to beat them. 

Today is a classic example vs Forest. In reality either could win but hopefully we'll be going all out for the win without so much worry of the consequences 

This is true. Exactly why I kind of expect us to win today. In a "typical" City championship season, if there is one, I'd take the draw. 

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

The thing to possibly excite me is that in January we could have up to 23 million to spend, from the Kodjiaa and Bolasie deals. 

No idea where you are getting that figure from.

Angers had a very large sell on clause (30%) for the Kodjia move, the Bolasie deal netted us in the region of £4m plus we have spent a lot of money on bringing in a whole team of players in the summer.

Moore and Engvall for instance, around £3m in total and yet for understandable reasons they have barely featured so far.

If we spent over £5m in January I'd be amazed.

19 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I think it depends who is available. If one of our main targets is, then I am sure the money will come from somewhere. But January seems to rarely have good permanent signings available.

Lots of experienced managers don't like the January window largely because the prices are often inflated because some clubs are desperate to strengthen if they're struggling in the league.

One recent City managers - I think it was Cotterill but I'm not sure - said that but also reckoned that there are fewer  quality players are  available. 

A major factor leading to where we are now has been splitting the coaching and the business side. Obviously LJ is involved in transfers but MA is doing all the negotiations with players and their clubs, leaving LJ to mainly focus on the first team coaching and the benefits of that arrangement are coming through very strongly now.

As others have said, what a transformation from where we were this time last season. I share what seems to be a majority view on this thread that we can expect a top half of the table finish at least. 

LJ has really impressed me with his tactics, intelligence, likeable personality and the fact that the players obviously respect him.

He is still very young but I can see him managing a PL club by the time he hits 40.

Hopefully that club will be BCFC ! 

17 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

I think it depends who is available. If one of our main targets is, then I am sure the money will come from somewhere. But January seems to rarely have good permanent signings available.

Also if we carry on with this form . We will start looking a more attractive option.  To players who maybe wouldn't consider us before. Also with Tammy and the nationwide publicity speaking highly about our club . I think we can do more good business in January 

Archived