IGNORED

Bristol coming to a standstill....?

spudski

... how was your experience getting to the ground today?

Mine was a complete nightmare... like a part from the film Falling Down.

I'm only 14 miles from Ashton Gate...it should take me about 35 mins to get there.

I left home at 11.00 to give me ample time to get to the ground, meet up with friends and have a pint.

It took me 30 mins to do 6 miles...got to Ring rd roundabout near M32 to find it's closed. No bloody signs to tell you that, until you get there...fuming.

Turn round...drive back to Train Station. Buy parking, Buy Train ticket. Train turns up 20 mins late. Get on train...told signal problems. 30 mins later...still sat on train, announcement could be up to an hour. Get off train...money and time wasted...fuming. Drive back to local to drown sorrows.... Never got to ground :-(

Tuesday night took me an hour and half to get home from the Gate.

Bristol City centre has road works everywhere at the moment... M32 the same...Hambrook ring road the same. Trains are screwed...Need a week to get to Ground via Bus.

Can only see this scenario getting worse in the lead up to Xmas...Why all the roadworks at the same bloody time?

So many cars...crap public transport...very little parking...and when everyone in their cars eventually finds a parking space, they all friggin press a button to stop the traffic to cross the bloody road.

Aaaaaaaaargghhhhhhhh the pain.....

Something has got to give...it's mental.

Rant over...at least they are serving Timothy Taylor Landlord in my local now and the Ryder Cup is on...plus we won. COYR's...just wish I could have seen it :-(

Yep. 

Been feeling that way since start of season.  Bigger crowds, parking controls and roadworks. So thought I'd try the train down from Gloucester and bus to the ground. Round trip 14 quid. Normally 7 quid parking and the same in petrol so no difference really  plus I can have a pint or three as well  

Feel for you fella. Sounds like an arse ache of a day. 

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm only 14 miles from Ashton Gate...it should take me about 35 mins to get there.

I left home at 11.00 to give me ample time to get to the ground, meet up with friends and have a pint.

It took me 30 mins to do 6 miles...got to Ring rd roundabout near M32 to find it's closed. No bloody signs to tell you that, until you get there...fuming.

Turn round...drive back to Train Station. Buy parking, Buy Train ticket. Train turns up 20 mins late. Get on train...told signal problems. 30 mins later...still sat on train, announcement could be up to an hour. Get off train...money and time wasted...fuming. Drive back to local to drown sorrows.... Never got to ground :-(

Bristol City centre has road works everywhere at the moment... M32 the same...Hambrook ring road the same. Trains are screwed...Need a week to get to Ground via Bus.

Can only see this scenario getting worse in the lead up to Xmas...Why all the roadworks at the same bloody time?

So many cars...crap public transport...very little parking...and when everyone in their cars eventually finds a parking space, they all friggin press a button to stop the traffic to cross the bloody road.

Rant over...at least they are serving Timothy Taylor Landlord in my local now and the Ryder Cup is on...plus we won. COYR's...just wish I could have seen it :-(

Sorry to hear you couldn't get to the Gate today Spud, must have been very frustrating. 

Something definitely needs to be done with the transport situation to the gate. 

Roadworks and pedestrian crossing is the biggest problem imo. It's almost like 'they' don't want you to travel into Bristol.

The coming months are going to be a nightmare...can see a lot of people not bothering.

You want to turn up relaxed...not fuming. No wonder we get road rage. No thought has gone into deal with this problem.

3 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

Yep things are getting a joke. Unless you turn up by 1/1:30 you have no chance of getting a parking space!

I would have liked to have gotten that chance mate...no chance today.

4 hours should be plenty of time to do 14 miles... It's only going to get worse as someone else has agreed...and like I said, can see a lot of people just not bothering as it's not worth the hassle. The Club and supporters both end up losing out.

Not the Clubs fault...but if we were to ever get into the Prem, I don't think this City could cope as it stands with the extra influx. It can't cope now.

All over South Bristol they are putting stupid little curbs into the road to turn perfectly good roads with 2 lanes, into 1 lane... stop, wait, go, 2 lanes.... 1 lane, stop, wait.... it popping up all over and it's ridiculous. Places that had no issues have mini tailbacks popping up all over the place for no reason.

40 minutes ago, spudski said:

Yeah,drove from willy wicket to bromley heath roundabout took me about 25 minutes only to find frenchay to m32 closed,pissed right off.We left at 12.15 got outside ground at 2.00

The biggest issue I have, driving to UWE every weekday, is that the roadworks at Temple Circus cause tailbacks, and jam up the M32 in general nevermind the semi frequent breakdown of the Hambrook lights. Then you have the bus lane lights by Redcliffe to get to said roundabout - and to top it off Zebra crossings at every exit of the Redcliffe roundabout that cause the whole thing to go to a standstill, making the whole roundabout completely redundant. 

Would like to meet the town planners and consultants. Nought seem to have a clue.

3 minutes ago, FramptonRed said:

Yeah,drove from willy wicket to bromley heath roundabout took me about 25 minutes only to find frenchay to m32 closed,pissed right off.We left at 12.15 got outside ground at 2.00

Which way did you go after getting to the closed Roundabout mate? The road leading to Downend was right back to the roundabout as well. Radio Bristol was saying Fishponds was also at a standstill.

2 minutes ago, Fuber said:

The biggest issue I have, driving to UWE every weekday, is that the roadworks at Temple Circus cause tailbacks, and jam up the M32 in general nevermind the semi frequent breakdown of the Hambrook lights. Then you have the bus lane lights by Redcliffe to get to said roundabout - and to top it off Zebra crossings at every exit of the Redcliffe roundabout that cause the whole thing to go to a standstill, making the whole roundabout completely redundant. 

Would like to meet the town planners and consultants. Nought seem to have a clue.

Redcliffe roundabout is a joke...a constant flow of pedestrians. No traffic has a chance.

3 minutes ago, spudski said:

Which way did you go after getting to the closed Roundabout mate? The road leading to Downend was right back to the roundabout as well. Radio Bristol was saying Fishponds was also at a standstill.

Redcliffe roundabout is a joke...a constant flow of pedestrians. No traffic has a chance.

We ended up driving through bromley heath rd and turning right by cleevewood garage and along frenchay then stapleton and picking back up on m32 at eastville.

Hard luck today Spudski. Must have been a nightmare (until you got to the pub). 

I only live 3-4 miles from the ground but traffic is getting noticeably worse. I rarely drive to games now but had to on Tuesday night and missed the first 10 mins of the game. I got a lift today from someone who didn't go to the game and it still took bloody ages. I'm lucky because I can always walk to the ground if needed or get the bus easily, but I don't know what I'd do if I lived further out.

If you are coming in from Yate then best bet is usually to use the Westerleigh Rd. Then through Downend, down Cleeve Hill and through Frenchay. 

I left Frenchay around 12 and had an easy journey today, traffic was lighter than usual. (Probably all stuck at the ring road!)

I think I'm right in saying you live locally to me Spud, in Chipping Sodbury. Luckily I knew the ring road was closed from the commute this week so did the M4 to M32 route.

Having said that, I've decided trying to get anywhere near the ground is a lost cause, so I park by Temple Meads (lucky enough to have work parking there) and walk down. Means I don't get back to the car until 5:45ish but in all the time I'm walking, I'm going past people in city shirts in cars on the way back from the game. The crazy thing is that by parking 2 miles from Ashton Gate, I don't actually lose much time on most people who park close to the ground and have to go through the centre and back to Sodbury - and that has to be wrong

17 minutes ago, GreedyHarry said:

Walked from St Anne's. Took the usual time, 1hr20. Some pavements were a bit busy but most pedestrian crossings flowing freely. Couple of pints as well and no worries about being breathalysed.

You must have got soaking wet with all those heavy showers we had leading up to the game.

Just to add to the ever growing traffic problems in town, some muppet decided it would be a good idea to create a short bus lane on Temple Way at the Narrow Plain junction. Freshly created since Tuesday. So now you can only access one lane getting out of Narrow Plain, and Temple Way now backs up from the Old Market roundabout because of the lost car lane and everything comes to a standstill/crawl. 

I honestly believe that the traffic planners don't actually regularly drive on the roads they "improve"!

2 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

Just to add to the ever growing traffic problems in town, some muppet decided it would be a good idea to create a short bus lane on Temple Way at the Narrow Plain junction. Freshly created since Tuesday. So now you can only access one lane getting out of Narrow Plain, and Temple Way now backs up from the Old Market roundabout because of the lost car lane and everything comes to a standstill/crawl. 

I honestly believe that the traffic planners don't actually regularly drive on the roads they "improve"!

Short busses were called the City Dart when I was a lad.

37 minutes ago, Fiale said:

All over South Bristol they are putting stupid little curbs into the road to turn perfectly good roads with 2 lanes, into 1 lane... stop, wait, go, 2 lanes.... 1 lane, stop, wait.... it popping up all over and it's ridiculous. Places that had no issues have mini tailbacks popping up all over the place for no reason.

Yep, agree. Those stupid extra curb bits are ******* stupid.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

My experience, let me tell you what happened to me today. 

I live in Corsham and I drive to Bristol and take my 80 year old Father in Law to the game. Like you I get to the ring road to find it closed. I detour through Winterbourne and finally get on the M32 and within minutes I get rammed up the backside and my car is written off. it's been a shit day, but at least the City made the day slightly better by beating Forest. I'm sat here still shocked of the events today. pleased to say my 80 year old Father in Law is ok. 

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I have yet to see a single improvement after the works, every single time it creates more congestion.

7 minutes ago, RedLionLad said:

You must have got soaking wet with all those heavy showers we had leading up to the game.

Jacket took the brunt of it but  my jeans could probably have been wrung out. Still think its better than sitting in a bloody car and then having nowhere to park. I count myself lucky that walking is an option for me.

2 minutes ago, Corsham Ed said:

My experience, let me tell you what happened to me today. 

I live in Corsham and I drive to Bristol and take my 80 year old Father in Law to the game. Like you I get to the ring road to find it closed. I detour through Winterbourne and finally get on the M32 and within minutes I get rammed up the backside and my car is written off. it's been a shit day, but at least the City made the day slightly better by beating Forest. I'm sat here still shocked of the events today. pleased to say my 80 year old Father in Law is ok. 

Awwwww man...hope you guys are ok. I feel your pain. So frustrating. Your day trumps mine by miles. I hope you get everything sorted fella.

Archived