IGNORED

Stewarding needs to be improved

WesM

Felt compelled to post this tonight as for the fourth game in a row, I have witnessed incompetent, bordering on negligent stewarding.

I sit in S19, right next to the vomitory in front of the Heineken bar, today there was no steward to be seen in the build up to kick off, people coming in with no idea where to sit, people sat in incorrect seats and not being guided to their correct seats, blocking exits, obstructing views and general poor crowd management. Tuesday's steward was just telling people to sit wherever there's an empty seat and this caused more problems than it solved. Also today, at the exit to my right, some geezer takes umbridge at having his view blocked by another chap, who doesn't know where he's sitting and that nearly descended into a fist fight while the steward, less than 2 yards away did nothing.

God forbid there is ever a serious incident, because if these are the people that are entrusted with our safety, then we're in big trouble.

There seems to be a lot of issues around S19/S18. I think part of the problem is S19 from that vormatiry starts at seat 13 and a lot of people don't go down to S18/W17 entrance.

Could do with @Mkelly coming and observing the problems from 2:45-3:15 next game.

Was today the first time it as our stewards? I noticed all the safe and sound hivis were replaced with shinny new Ashton Gate ones 

6 minutes ago, shelts said:

Still can't believe how long it takes to get out of the Dolman. If we needed to get out quickly we would have no chance. 

I always think this about getting out from the top of the South Stand as well.  Takes an absolute age at the end. 

49 minutes ago, WesM said:

in the build up to kick off, people coming in with no idea where to sit, people sat in incorrect seats and not being guided to their correct seats, blocking exits, obstructing views and general poor crowd management. Tuesday's steward was just telling people to sit wherever there's an empty seat and this caused more problems than it solved. 

I really don't get why anyone should struggle to find their correct seat and require a steward to sort them out.

Row numbers are labelled - they increase bottom to top.

Seat numbers are labelled - they increase left to right.

Can we drop the nanny state ' who can I blame' and just pause....ask yourself "what would Bear Grylls do?" Find your own bloody seat FFS, it ain't hard.

53 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

There seems to be a lot of issues around S19/S18. I think part of the problem is S19 from that vormatiry starts at seat 13 and a lot of people don't go down to S18/W17 entrance.

Could do with @Mkelly coming and observing the problems from 2:45-3:15 next game.

Was today the first time it as our stewards? I noticed all the safe and sound hivis were replaced with shinny new Ashton Gate ones 

most games also have people trying to get into the Lounge walking into and against the flow of people trying to get out, on top of that the walkway by the lounge grinds to a stop because only 2 people can get into the VIP terrace at a time, whilst being stopped and checked for their VIP bracelets - that corner is badly designed.

58 minutes ago, TrowVegasCidered said:

Tbh I thought the lack of netting on the seats in the atyeo for forest fans was a joke. They were running over and taunting. If forest grabbed a last min equaliser that could have been interesting!

Even BIGGER joke was the amount of empty seats between our fans and Forest. Why oh why don't the club give more seats in there to our own fans when the away support is like today ? Bloody ridiculous. But well done to all in there today, heard you loud and clear in W11 !!:clap::clap:

2 hours ago, WesM said:

Felt compelled to post this tonight as for the fourth game in a row, I have witnessed incompetent, bordering on negligent stewarding.

I sit in S19, right next to the vomitory in front of the Heineken bar, today there was no steward to be seen in the build up to kick off, people coming in with no idea where to sit, people sat in incorrect seats and not being guided to their correct seats, blocking exits, obstructing views and general poor crowd management. Tuesday's steward was just telling people to sit wherever there's an empty seat and this caused more problems than it solved. Also today, at the exit to my right, some geezer takes umbridge at having his view blocked by another chap, who doesn't know where he's sitting and that nearly descended into a fist fight while the steward, less than 2 yards away did nothing.

God forbid there is ever a serious incident, because if these are the people that are entrusted with our safety, then we're in big trouble.

Tbh that exit is becoming a big problem. Every game people stand there blocking our view of the penalty area whilst stewards stand there and doing nothing.

The bloke to your right has been asking people all season to move out of the way. He sits with two elderly people who struggle to get up and down. He has always been polite with his requests. Todayhe  asked that bloke to kindly move and that bloke responded extremely aggressivly, completely OTT . He was shouting and swearing saying someone else was sat in his seat and was threatening the bloke and invited him outside.

As you say the steward just stood there doing nothing. I was left feeling uneasy about this incident and this said bloke should have been removed from the stadium. Children shouldn't have to witness behaviour like that.

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

I really don't get why anyone should struggle to find their correct seat and require a steward to sort them out.

Row numbers are labelled - they increase bottom to top.

Seat numbers are labelled - they increase left to right.

Can we drop the nanny state ' who can I blame' and just pause....ask yourself "what would Bear Grylls do?" Find your own bloody seat FFS, it ain't hard.

You need to come and see the layout in the corner. s18/19 starts at 13 on the right. It's far from obvious. A lot of people with tickets for seat 29-30 come in that vormitry when they would be better off going to S18/W17. It needs some sort of signing to say seats 13-20 or something like that 

Had a bit of an incident Sat. I take a chap who has  Downs Syndrome every match. He is known to most of stewards. As you all know it was pi55ing down Sat, in an attempt to keep dry we entered the stadium, Rob had a half full can of coke, bear in mind Robs 58 and weighs about 6 Stone wet. A woman steward said you can't come in with that, she is of course correct. I told her the score that he would drink it just inside the turnstiles, she was not happy with that, then neither was I with her lack of common sense. Anyway we are now in the corner with Rob drinking the coke. Next thing I know a burly male steward stands about a mt away watching us. He had a face like thunder. Rob finishes the drink and we move off to the nearest bin. Not good enough for burly bloke, he stops us and requests the empty can. Not a problem he can have the can by all means. I know the stewards are acting in line with procedures, but come on use some common sense for christs sake. So we presented a serious risk to stadium security to warrant close attention from the burly squad, shame the same application was not applied to the group at the back of the dolman who were threatening to wipe each other out for an age before a solitary steward arrived.

If there is going to be a protest then I hope that the police and stewards are up to it. There are a number of people I've seen who are so incensed they are not in control of themselves. People could get hurt. No good to the club no good for the fans and won't make a difference to decisions made. They can't be seen to give in to mob rule.

I've always said god forbid anything bad happens at AG as just one look at the stewards tells you that we'd be in a bit of trouble.

As an aside, I witnessed on Saturday someone from S18 decided he wanted to sing "We want Johnson out" with about 10 minutes left, not in a violent or abusive manner, just voicing his opinion, which in a free world he should be entitled to do only for a steward to threaten to throw him out if he didn't stop!!!! Like watching a match in North Korea!

On 10/1/2016 at 21:05, shelts said:

Still can't believe how long it takes to get out of the Dolman. If we needed to get out quickly we would have no chance. 

Don't think that's a stewarding problem, it's just an inherent problem with the design.

I would assume in case of emergency evacuating some on to the pitch would be an option.

24 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Don't think that's a stewarding problem, it's just an inherent problem with the design.

I would assume in case of emergency evacuating some on to the pitch would be an option.

It's an accident waiting to happen. Hardly ever see a steward in the Dolman where I sits. 

Archived