IGNORED

Managers

Tipps69

With it already starting this morning with Villa & Swansea, I can see a few more clubs moving managers on during this international break as the competition for certain managers hots up.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Derby & Cardiff in The Championship ditch their current incumbents & Stoke, West Ham & Hull could also see their managers change as the battle intensifies for those managers that are available right now & that could see either a big merry-go-round of managers moving around & could mean more clubs looking for new managers as managers at current clubs move on to pastures new.

Could Mick McCarthy be tempted to leave Ipswich to join Villa? Could Cardiff be tempted to move for someone currently in a job (lower league)? Could Ipswich then look towards Dopey Darrell?

Would Hull & Stoke look abroad for any possible managers to try & make their Premier League status safe, rather than an up & coming manager?

There is a lot of possibilities regarding management uncertainties & a lot of names will undoubtedly be linked if so many positions become available, gone are the days where struggling clubs are willing to give their manager a proper chance to turn things around, job security certainly isn't something that is linked to football management.

I just wish City or SL have plans in place to secure LJ to the club & to put any potential suitors in their place before the come knocking for LJ.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

With it already starting this morning with Villa & Swansea, I can see a few more clubs moving managers on during this international break as the competition for certain managers hots up.

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Derby & Cardiff in The Championship ditch their current incumbents & Stoke, West Ham & Hull could also see their managers change as the battle intensifies for those managers that are available right now & that could see either a big merry-go-round of managers moving around & could mean more clubs looking for new managers as managers at current clubs move on to pastures new.

Could Mick McCarthy be tempted to leave Ipswich to join Villa? Could Cardiff be tempted to move for someone currently in a job (lower league)? Could Ipswich then look towards Dopey Darrell?

Would Hull & Stoke look abroad for any possible managers to try & make their Premier League status safe, rather than an up & coming manager?

There is a lot of possibilities regarding management uncertainties & a lot of names will undoubtedly be linked if so many positions become available, gone are the days where struggling clubs are willing to give their manager a proper chance to turn things around, job security certainly isn't something that is linked to football management.

I just wish City or SL have plans in place to secure LJ to the club & to put any potential suitors in their place before the come knocking for LJ.

The interesting point this year is (although it's been this way in the Prem for a while) that there is no loan window in the EFL. Anybody appointed has to work with what they have for 3 months, with no opportunity for new faces. Can see that putting both some clubs off sacking, and also some managers off moving - you could move to a club in trouble, have 3 more months of poor results because the squads wrong and be fired before you have chance to change things.

13 minutes ago, Silvio Dante said:

The interesting point this year is (although it's been this way in the Prem for a while) that there is no loan window in the EFL. Anybody appointed has to work with what they have for 3 months, with no opportunity for new faces. Can see that putting both some clubs off sacking, and also some managers off moving - you could move to a club in trouble, have 3 more months of poor results because the squads wrong and be fired before you have chance to change things.

But that also gives any new managers time to assess their squads properly & come January they will have a proper idea as to what new players / positions they need rather than wasting funds on something they don't particularly require.

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

They might. But the smart thing to do is not to put the manager on an expensive, long contract that you might regret when things turn badly in a year or two.

The thing to do is to set up the club in such a way that it can cope with the loss of a manager. To put Mark Ashton on a bloody long, lucrative contract that ensures he stays, to put Des Taylor on a good deal, to have a team of coaching staff who cover all the various duties. Lee Johnson deserves a good deal too, but rather than fighting the inevitable when a big club comes knocking, you set things up so that it doesn't matter.

English clubs have never understood the head coach / director of football model. They appoint a manager as head coach and then usually another manager as director of football, then stick with it for about 5 minutes. The way it works best is that the DoF is the main man, the guy with the plan, the guy who builds the club in the long term, whilst the head coach is almost an expendable part. Sure he does his job and you want a good one, not a bad one, but when things get tough and the fans demand bloody, you dispense with him but keep the DoF and the long term plan in place. This works whether the coach leaves by his choice or the club's.

I think City are starting to understand this. Don't get me wrong it would be a massive blow to lose Lee because he's clearly an excellent coach and is one of only a small number of coaches in English football capable of understanding the setup. But as with players, so with managers (or head coaches). Wherever you are in the food chain you need to be prepared for departures. Fighting departures is expensive and can leave you saddled with unwanted obligations. Setting yourself up to withstand departures is the way to succeed.

With the continued success of our team, its inevitable that other clubs will start to look at Lee.

But this actually feels a bit different.  Its like SL, MA and LJ are all major steak holders in this project.  They have all equally committed to the project, and I hope that all 3 will see it to its conclusion.

There will come a day when LJ leaves, I hope when this day arrives we will have the next candidate lined up.  Its football and personnel will come and go.  However I feel that if SL and MA are here then we are in good hands.

LJ is doing a great job and long may it continue.  We may have to issue many "hands off" warnings in order to protect our prize assets, not just LJ.

I have not felt this confident about our affairs on and off the pitch perhaps ever.  Its a great time to be a City fan!

Stevo

3 hours ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Who was our last manager to leave when doing well to join a bigger club??  Honestly I can't think of anyone in the last 30 years as generally we have always sacked our manager...

Jordan in 1990. He'd just led us to promotion to the second tier and was poached by Hearts. Whether they could be called a bigger club was a moot point even then.

Archived