IGNORED

Half time hell

Midlands Robin

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

In our old first division days, we had a few "interesting" half time acts:

There was the bloke who could do all sorts of gymnastics on a push bike. 

Then there was a cowboy and Indian shoot out. There's a picture of Malcolm Mcdonald with them that made the newspapers.....gunners puns galore.

We witnessed a game of Lacrosse. 

A Rock n Roll band (forgotten their name but they were well known in Bristol) played a set on the back of a low loader lorry. They drove around the pitch (on the running track) afterwards only to see the cymbals fly off.

A local reggae band also once played.  Needless to say the sound quality for both  bands ranged from  non-existent to awful.

We had a British Leyland demonstration of their latest models....they were driven around the running track.

It wasn't Clarks pies but another brand (Bowyers? ) drove a lorry around the track with helpers throwing their pies into the crowd.  It still makes me laugh that the East Enders would catch the pies and throw them back using the helpers as targets! 

In our 4th division days we would have the occasional marching band.  I remember one of the musicians had a heart attack on the pitch and died. 

Finally,  who can forget our all girl dance group? The Rockin' Robins I think they were called.

Bowyers it was.

I believe there were some choruses of "get yer tits out for the lads" if I remember.

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

6-1, could have sworn it was 7. Thought it was Bradford who put 6 passed us? Still emotionally scared about it now. 

We did score first. Carl Hutchings I believe.The worst goal was Mark Shail and one of the othe defenders (Vegard Hansen?) having an 'after you, no after you' discussion before the Wolves player nipped through to pinch the ball and score.

Definitely 6-1, I think it was still 1-1 at half time too!

Bradford away was the game before and we lost 5-0. Benny Lennartson's first two games in charge.

1 hour ago, Norn Iron said:

Finally,  who can forget our all girl dance group? The Rockin' Robins I think they were called.

I can't. What a night.

47 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

Is it ever worth bringing back cheer leaders? 

If we do, then please let it be a new troupe. If the original ones returned, the sound of their hips clicking would even be heard in the Dolman.

28 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Pretty sure I once saw a dog display team at half time once. 

And if memory service, some sort of horse display team. Noted for the fact they made massive dents in the pitch and crapped everywhere.

Dont know abput half time but I've seen a team of dogs do 90 minutes at AG a few times on the past.

23 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Definitely 6-1, I think it was still 1-1 at half time too!

Bradford away was the game before and we lost 5-0. Benny Lennartson's first two games in charge.

Surprised you didn't mention your own personal half time moment!

Seem to recall you winning the half time draw once Rich.

5 minutes ago, pride of the west said:

Baldrick asking us if we could hear the rovers sing always sticks in my mind as one of the best half time moments 

I'd love Tony to be the match day announcer.

I believe it was the other way around, with the Dolman questioning if Tony (in full Baldrick attire) could be heard singing.

58 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I believe it was the other way around, with the Dolman questioning if Tony (in full Baldrick attire) could be heard singing.

Certainly was, to which he replied in on the microphone "Can you hear Baldrick sing? Yes I ******* can"

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

Surprised you didn't mention your own personal half time moment!

Seem to recall you winning the half time draw once Rich.

I did, my brother crossed the pitch with me to collect the winnings and he knelt down to kiss the centre spot on the way, which actually drew a cheer!

2 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

Didn't they once have people on matts doing martial arts or self defence? Was real random. Is it ever worth bringing back cheer leaders? 

I remember being part of a Tae Kwon-Do demonstration team at half time against Swindon in the early 90's. We didn't have mats so we were bare footed on very slippery and very muddy turf - the combination of filthy feet and kicks to a white suit didn't look too great :laugh:.

One thing I do remember is hearing the voices from the crowd quite clearly, so when we shout abuse at the players - they can hear it !!

City Pussy :clap:

I always thought it was City Kitty tbf. Whatever happened to City Cat? Does anyone know? Nowt against Scrumpy but I miss that cat...

I can remember a QPR game when Skeletor was in charge. I was sat in Atyeo Block H with my little brother. At HT, the Wurzels came on the pitch and did a few numbers and the crowd sang back. When Holloway came back out, the whole Atyeo sang "Cheer Up Ian Holloway" at him.

The old half time entertainment used to be provided by the blokes putting up scores alongside letters on boards behind the goals. You searched down through the matches listed alongside letters in the programme to find what the score had been probably 30 minutes before! There was also generally a charitable collection made whereby people carried a white sheets around the perimeter of the ground, into which supporters were urged to hurl coins! How times change.

28 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

I always thought it was City Kitty tbf. Whatever happened to City Cat? Does anyone know? Nowt against Scrumpy but I miss that cat...

I can remember a QPR game when Skeletor was in charge. I was sat in Atyeo Block H with my little brother. At HT, the Wurzels came on the pitch and did a few numbers and the crowd sang back. When Holloway came back out, the whole Atyeo sang "Cheer Up Ian Holloway" at him.

You'll never beat beat the Robins(rocking)...

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Now unless my memory has failed again, I believe the very first time she announced it she said 'pussy' and there after it became 'kitty' for obvious reasons. Either way it was a dark period in City's Half Time history. Back when the only other distractions were long queues for a cold pie and a badly made cuppa and the half time scores. Thank christ for the days when a new One Team hit the streets.

I remember back in the 80's, think it was a Boxing Day game maybe. We were absolutely packed in the heaving Eastend that was, a milkfloat type vehicle was driven around hurling out little cartons of orange juice into the crowd. One hit me right in the throat, I probably had a scarf on which saved me from being decapitated. It fell down into my hands and for a brief second I thought 'bloody hell that hurt but at least I now have a half time drink' only for it to be snatched from my hands to promptly hurled back hitting the person on the vehicle and almost knocking them to the ground. My little carton of orange juice was almost lethal!

And yes I remember the poor Neil Diamond tribute act in the pouring rain, if I hear Neil Diamond now I think back to that. Wasn't he ( the real ND) doing a concert at the ground and this was meant to publicise it, sure the attendance must have been halved on the strength of it.

Away entertainment, well similar to Neil Diamond if I hear Tina Turner it takes be back to Wolves away, dunno when but they had Neil's equivalent. And Sheffield Utd away had some lady opera singer screeching out dressed as a Viking for some unknown reason!

5 hours ago, Midlands Robin said:

6-1, could have sworn it was 7. Thought it was Bradford who put 6 passed us? Still emotionally scared about it now. 

We did score first. Carl Hutchings I believe.The worst goal was Mark Shail and one of the othe defenders (Vegard Hansen?) having an 'after you, no after you' discussion before the Wolves player nipped through to pinch the ball and score.

Pretty sure it was 6-1 and a 5-0 loss to Bradford. 

Archived