IGNORED

Half time hell

Midlands Robin

6 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

We had a dog that did keepie ups once. That was amazing.

Think we signed him from Bolton.

Edited 4 hours ago by downendcity

Don't you mean we signed the dog from Blackburn? 

He was a Blackburn Rover.

...sorry.

6 hours ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I remember the army doing some displays at half time a couple of times. Literally filled the Gate with smoke which obviously no one told there are illegal in football grounds :nono:

I remember that, I think it was the TA but it was mint.

Old fourth division,dark,cold and a bit of rain in the air,half time,out walk about 10-12 girls no older than 10,they start doing the can-can,was stood in the enclousure in those days,next to the east end,we all joined in the can-can with gusto,can-can finishes,cue a huge round of applause from the whole ground,the girls looked so proud as they ran off the pitch,always sticks in my mind.

2 hours ago, RedM said:

I remember back in the 80's, think it was a Boxing Day game maybe. We were absolutely packed in the heaving Eastend that was, a milkfloat type vehicle was driven around hurling out little cartons of orange juice into the crowd. One hit me right in the throat, I probably had a scarf on which saved me from being decapitated. It fell down into my hands and for a brief second I thought 'bloody hell that hurt but at least I now have a half time drink' only for it to be snatched from my hands to promptly hurled back hitting the person on the vehicle and almost knocking them to the ground. My little carton of orange juice was almost lethal!

And yes I remember the poor Neil Diamond tribute act in the pouring rain, if I hear Neil Diamond now I think back to that. Wasn't he ( the real ND) doing a concert at the ground and this was meant to publicise it, sure the attendance must have been halved on the strength of it.

Away entertainment, well similar to Neil Diamond if I hear Tina Turner it takes be back to Wolves away, dunno when but they had Neil's equivalent. And Sheffield Utd away had some lady opera singer screeching out dressed as a Viking for some unknown reason!

The Viking has a feel of Wagner 'Ring Cycle' about it-must have been one hell of an abridged version!!...

I remember a Wurzels performance vaguely, cannot remember if it was pre game or Half time, but it was some kind of Anniversary about 15 years ago, v Port Vale. Certainly was September 2001 and I am sure the Wurzels were at the Gate that day performing or some such!

But then, the Wurzels are synonomous with us so I guess it was Half Time Heaven maybe!

4 hours ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

The old half time entertainment used to be provided by the blokes putting up scores alongside letters on boards behind the goals. You searched down through the matches listed alongside letters in the programme to find what the score had been probably 30 minutes before! There was also generally a charitable collection made whereby people carried a white sheets around the perimeter of the ground, into which supporters were urged to hurl coins! How times change.

Yes and I got hit by one in the back of the head when i was standing in the old enclosure, Saw stars for a few seconds,  I can tell you, those were dangerous days.

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Don't think it was. I watched the poor chap keel over from the Dolman Stand, but was in the enclosure for the Forest game.

I was sure it was the Forest match as well.  I was in the open end and  I was only 11 at the time so if it didn't happen then it some messed up 'memories' I have from somewhere. Poor poor bloke whatever game it was though. 

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember a Wurzels performance vaguely, cannot remember if it was pre game or Half time, but it was some kind of Anniversary about 15 years ago, v Port Vale. Certainly was September 2001 and I am sure the Wurzels were at the Gate that day performing or some such!

But then, the Wurzels are synonomous with us so I guess it was Half Time Heaven maybe!

I'm sure that the original Wurzels played on the pitch in my early days back in the 60s.

8 minutes ago, MyBrotherErnie said:

Current half time entertainment is terribly boring. The Blackthorn glass chipping and shooting from halfway games need to come back. Surely it wouldn't be too hard?

Not sure they want people on their lovely playing surface and they seem to be watering it even in damp conditions. The Blackthorn chipping thing was too difficult for people in normal footwear. They need something a bit easier.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pre game I think, in the DEH. Everyone was absolutely battered! 

2 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Don't think it was. I watched the poor chap keel over from the Dolman Stand, but was in the enclosure for the Forest game.

It was absolutely 100% the Forest game. It was a huge game game us, playing Forest in the Cup. (how far we have come, or how far they have fallen). The weather had been awful, loads of rain and the game had been doubtful I think. The bandsmen were marching up and down the pitch, it came to a turn and down he went. Of course the crowd had thought he had just slipped on the wet grass and the crowd let out a 'wha-hey' and a laugh. I can't remember much else at the time, eg treatment on the pitch etc. I'm sure each and everyone of us were utterly horrified when we found out later the poor chap had died. There was collections for his family etc at the next matches.

5 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I remember two occasions the wurzels preforming  which I thought was enjoyable  but   got the impression that they were actually miming !

Through His Belly - Win a Telly!

Normally entertaining as most of the contestants were seemingly plucked at random from the crowd and would be in flip flops, or have a wooden leg or something and could barely get the ball off the ground. 

Even better as you won nothing at all on 22 matchdays, they just had the best people back on the last day for a final showdown....all for a TV from Curry's!

Archived