IGNORED

Number One

RedLionLad

Following on from the other thread about music being played at Ashton Gate...... Can you remember (or find on Google) what record was number one in the UK charts on the day you attended your very first City game?

Mine was "Where Do You Go To My Lovely?" by One Hit Wonder, Peter Sarstedt.

The date was Saturday 1st March 1969 and we beat Fulham 6-0. I was 8 years old.

Not a bad result for my first game.

Mine was Saturday 15 Mar 1980, Against Liverpool when we needed to win to have any chance of staying in the 1st Division. We lost  3 - 1, got used to losing early and that was the start of where we ended up in 1982, i was 7 years old.

The song that was No 1 was "Fern Kenny - Together we are beautiful" (One Hit Wonder)

Mine was 8th October 1977, against Leeds Utd in the old first division. I was very young (6) so I don't know who scored for us. City won 3-2 that day, setting me up for a lifetime of enjoyment/despair/stress.

Number 1 in the 'hit parade' was Silver Lady by David Soul. For you young uns, he used to play Hutch in the original TV Starsky and Hutch.

If anyone can point me to somewhere I can find out the scorers from 1977, it'd be appreciated. I can find the Leeds scorer, but nobody seems to have listed the City one(s). Maybe Tom Ritchie, Joe Royle and Chris Garland? Not that sure though...

21 minutes ago, Ringopiece said:

Mine was 8th October 1977, against Leeds Utd in the old first division. I was very young (6) so I don't know who scored for us. City won 3-2 that day, setting me up for a lifetime of enjoyment/despair/stress.

Number 1 in the 'hit parade' was Silver Lady by David Soul. For you young uns, he used to play Hutch in the original TV Starsky and Hutch.

If anyone can point me to somewhere I can find out the scorers from 1977, it'd be appreciated. I can find the Leeds scorer, but nobody seems to have listed the City one(s). Maybe Tom Ritchie, Joe Royle and Chris Garland? Not that sure though...

I've had a look for you mate and i cant find anything on the scorers of that game.

2 minutes ago, sparkyboy72 said:

I've had a look for you mate and i cant find anything on the scorers of that game.

Thanks anyway. It probably was Tom Ritchie, but I'm not sure of the others. 

Your number one (!) was actually a good tune for those days, good disco song. Better than mine (hrumph)

3 hours ago, Ringopiece said:

Norman hunter got 1. http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/bristol-city-v-leeds-united-norman-hunter-interview-1-3086391

Just looked it up, sums up my history of supporting City.

I'M STILL WAITING, by Diana Ross.

31st August 1971 v Cardiff City. 2-0 Win. Goals from John Galley and Gerry Gow. Tuesday night match, don't remember mutch of the match but I do remember a lot of fighting. Remember seeing City fans boarding a Cardiff coach on Winterstoke Road. Absolute chaos, been hooked ever since.

2 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

Oldham 2-0 , promotion......"Ticket To Ride "

Interestingly a song written by John Lennon about Hamburg prostitutes who issued vouchers for their services . Whoda thunk it ? 

They ol' Beatles must have been laughing their socks off as no censor realised.

This system would have been unfair on Bristol Rob who would never have received his voucher.

Archived