IGNORED

Number One

RedLionLad

19 hours ago, RedLionLad said:

Following on from the other thread about music being played at Ashton Gate...... Can you remember (or find on Google) what record was number one in the UK charts on the day you attended your very first City game?

Mine was "Where Do You Go To My Lovely?" by One Hit Wonder, Peter Sarstedt.

The date was Saturday 1st March 1969 and we beat Fulham 6-0. I was 8 years old.

Not a bad result for my first game.

Not my 1st match , but I distinctively remember   one number 1  exiting the away end at Bradford  after a 5 0 defeat  with Tina Turners  "simply the best" at full blast     Not a happy day!

6 hours ago, The Bard said:

Boxing Day 1977.  City 5 Coventry 0 (Royle 3).  Mull of Kin f**Ing tyre was no. 1.  Football was amazing.  Music less so..

Sorry. Me again. City thrashed the Sky Blues in 1978. Mary's Boy Child by Bony M was at the summit of the hit parade.

14 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

21st September 1975 home v Saints and won 2-0

Sailing by Rod Stewart.

Same here as my first match was 3-1 home defeat to West Ham in the League Cup. I was 6 & sat up in the Dolman with my dad.

Have to admit it was West Ham I was initially interested in. They won the FA Cup that year & I was obsessed with their young goalie Mervyn Day. I thought he was amazing.

Why West Ham? Because as a 6 year old the only football I could see on TV was The Big Match on ITV on a Sunday afternoon on my grandparents black & white set. First game on was always a home match for a London team as made by LWT. That's why our famous trip to Highbury in 1976 to beat Arsenal on the opening day of the season was televised. And from 76-77 season onwards I had a season ticket for the schoolboy enclosure in front of the Dolman while my dad stood with his mates in Crackers Corner. All 4 years in the old first division with my pink cardboard ticket getting clipped around the edge for each match attended & becoming more frayed & dog-eared...

As for number 1 at the time, must say I have never liked it. Would have preferred no. 5 tbh:

Jasper Carrott with Funky Moped / Magic Roundabout

Now that is a class novelty record!!!

23 hours ago, HOMERSIMPSON said:

Just looked it up, sums up my history of supporting City.

I'M STILL WAITING, by Diana Ross.

31st August 1971 v Cardiff City. 2-0 Win. Goals from John Galley and Gerry Gow. Tuesday night match, don't remember mutch of the match but I do remember a lot of fighting. Remember seeing City fans boarding a Cardiff coach on Winterstoke Road. Absolute chaos, been hooked ever since.

I got on the wrong coach your Honour.It was a genuine mistake..:laugh:

3 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Sorry. Me again. City thrashed the Sky Blues in 1978. Mary's Boy Child by Bony M was at the summit of the hit parade.

I was only 7. Music was still terrible mind..

Archived