IGNORED

Tony Collins - unsung hero

chinapig

21 minutes ago, slartibartfast said:

It MUST be just me, but I never realized that TC was BLACK ! I just thought he was ....swarthy !

I must admit I didn't realise he was still with us.

90 not out is some innings..

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

It MUST be just me, but I never realized that TC was BLACK ! I just thought he was ....swarthy !

News to me too! I see Mr Stockhausen has got his facts wrong again claiming that Tony was ADs assistant for 13 years, yet the quoted article says that his first period with us ended in 1972. Did he come back when we were in Div 1?

12 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

News to me too! I see Mr Stockhausen has got his facts wrong again claiming that Tony was ADs assistant for 13 years, yet the quoted article says that his first period with us ended in 1972. Did he come back when we were in Div 1?

Can't recall, I was 13.

The team photo that accompanied the article also doesn't include him.

John Sillett is in the picture so presumably was assistant manager then?

17 minutes ago, Southstandoriginal said:

I don't THINK he came back for a second time, couldn't be sure though. Sillett (bang) was deffo Ass. manager when we went up.

3 hours ago, slartibartfast said:

1 hour ago, East End Old Boy said:

No, you weren't the only one!

Makes at least 3 of us.

1 hour ago, slartibartfast said:

I don't THINK he came back for a second time, couldn't be sure though. Sillett (bang) was deffo Ass. manager when we went up.

That's what I thought.

Put it on my Amazon wish list, one for Xmas.

10 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I always thought Collins was chief scout and lived oop north somewhere. Maybe this was after 1972?

As for the book, I look forward to reading it but, judging by the Post article, an interesting story will be hamstrung by the poor quality of the writing. Twas ever thus with football books, some notable writers excepted.  

I would imagine most football books are written by ghost writers , except Casper Schmiecal's .

12 hours ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

I always thought Collins was chief scout and lived oop north somewhere. Maybe this was after 1972?

As for the book, I look forward to reading it but, judging by the Post article, an interesting story will be hamstrung by the poor quality of the writing. Twas ever thus with football books, some notable writers excepted.  

Pretty sure that I read a quote from AD back in the day when he memorably described Collins as his "branch manager up North.."

Sillett departed for Hereford in 1974 so there was definitely someone else as AD's assistant after then..

At 90 bless him, I doubt every memory that Collins has will be as crystal clear as it was, of course you are right though, very few books are as good as they could be because of the writing.

He was at Leeds during Brian Clough's ill fated 44 days in charge at Elland Road. I recall Clough being quoted as saying that Tony Collins was the only one there who showed him any warmth, and told him not to try to change things there too quickly, Clough says he should of listened to him.

I knew the story about Keegan and that we nearly got him. Bloody hell where would be now. :laugh:

remember Collins well but never knew he identified himself as being black. Never even thought about it!

I was on the next table when that picture of him AD and GG was taken. I will definitely buy the book!

Archived