IGNORED

When would you stop following 'City'...

SARJ

15 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The club and its fans are far far bigger than the owner, head coach or players at any given date. As for shirt colour, I prefer red but we have played in blue even in blue and white quarters, let alone the ghastly primrose yellow strip.  It is always City and I remain a fan to the very end.  Hopefully passing away with unbridled emotion and pride as City's captain lifts The Champions cup for the first time.

You must be right, having said it, but when did we ever play in blue & white quarters..?!

Supported City since 1966, have not lived in Bristol since 1972, and have lived in Sussex for 30 years. Bristol City are and always will be my team. The only thing I can imagine that might change that would be a merger with the gas and a new Bristol United formed as that would not be my City.

If the Atyeo raspberry blower keeps going for much longer I am definitely out of it. 

Seriously how did bristol south end fans feel when we changed name, ground and colours? did they carry on supporting the team? Mind I would be quite happy to get rid of the badge

Like many, I support Bristol city FC and could never support a club under any other guise. Bristol Utd? God forbid, no!

I tried cutting down on football when my kids were young but ended up bringing them with me as I just can't stay away.

Been following City since 1975 and I ain't gonna stop now. CTID is the call and I think we're stuck with them and them with us.

As long as they are my local club, doing community projects, and helping the local community - i'd probably stick with them. To be honest, if they kept the name, colours, badge's but dropped all the local / community things I would be more inclined to stop supporting them, than if they started wearing blue and became Bristol AFC or something....  it's about them being ours, and us being part of them... when that stops, it's no longer my club.

6 hours ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

If we had the Cardiff situation/debacle I would end my following of City, pretty much end my interest in football full stop.

The identity of a club would be gone.

I'm pretty confident that our fan base wouldn't roll over like Cardiff's did, we would stand up and boycott games imo.

So I don't see this happening to us.

if it ever did and people didn't boycott, then I would do the same as you.

9 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

You must be right, having said it, but when did we ever play in blue & white quarters..?!

I was a child when I saw the match in the Fifties.  As I remember it there was a last minute problem over clash of colours with both main kit and reserve kit (no specific away kit in those days) and so we borrowed a set from Rovers. None of this modern poisonous relationship from minority of fans of both clubs then, of course.

Can't remember whom we were playing but sure someone else will

47 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

I was a child when I saw the match in the Fifties.  As I remember it there was a last minute problem over clash of colours with both main kit and reserve kit (no specific away kit in those days) and so we borrowed a set from Rovers. None of this modern poisonous relationship from minority of fans of both clubs then, of course.

Interesting. I have never heard of that one before! 

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

Glad it hasn't stayed like that - football is much better with a meaningful real rivalry. It's part of what makes it far superior to other sports, may as well watch Rugby if you want a friendly rivalry between clubs that doesn't really mean anything.

These debates always make me think about the point of football, but I don't think I could just choose to support another team. Way too much baggage with City. If we had a Tan sort of situation I'd hope we'd start a FC United of Bristol or something similar.

32 minutes ago, ZiderEyed said:

These debates always make me think about the point of football, but I don't think I could just choose to support another team. Way too much baggage with City. If we had a Tan sort of situation I'd hope we'd start a FC United of Bristol or something similar.

Otib Fc? 

4 hours ago, Ivorguy said:

We did the same at Leyton Orient in an FA cup tie ( we lost 4-1!) City had forgotten the away kit so we played in Orients away kit. Which was all blue, we had about a thousand away fans at that game, so others must remember this as well.

I see a lot of 'City 'til I die' comments and that you'd only stop going if we merged with the blue lot, which is fair enough.

But what if the stadium, manager, team and colours all stayed the same, but the club became Bristol Sport FC rather than Bristol City FC. Same everything, but the name (and inevitably, the club badge) changes? Nothing to do with Rovers at all, simply a name change. Would people still go down or feel a bit more passionate about this big a change?

2 hours ago, SARJ said:

I see a lot of 'City 'til I die' comments and that you'd only stop going if we merged with the blue lot, which is fair enough.

But what if the stadium, manager, team and colours all stayed the same, but the club became Bristol Sport FC rather than Bristol City FC. Same everything, but the name (and inevitably, the club badge) changes? Nothing to do with Rovers at all, simply a name change. Would people still go down or feel a bit more passionate about this big a change?

It's not going to happen. 

I know your question is hypothetical but it's such an emotive subject that it's impossible to say how you'd actually react until you are faced with it. 

I would certainly protest & boycott, but as I said, it's not going to happen. Not with the Lansdown's in charge. They are City fans, as well as billionaires. 

6 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The reality is Sarj that nearly everybody has a point where they will cease to attend. In 1982 Bristol City average gate was below 5000, five years before it was 20000+. In this (second) division gates under Osman dropped down to 6000.

CTID ... Hardly.

I have always wondered this. Pretty much every older generation fan I,ve ever spoken to claims to have been there in the dark days of 1982 when we were averaging barely 5000... nobody has ever admitted that they stopped going.... But we lost around 18,000 fans after our drop through the divisions. Where are all these people I wonder, did they have genuine reasons for staying away and did they ever come back once things got better again?

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 19:35, Cowshed said:

"and did they ever come back once things got better again?" Many didn't.

The fans who once inhabited the Dolman A-B, Parkend, Enclosure casuals corner and East End are obviously in the main gone.

Agree with this, still and do and will always follow my club; but haven't in person for a while now, since the Eastend got chopped really. Been almost everywhere following my club but now, its costs too much, I`m too old and I have no interest in visiting the new improved grounds that are too similar to each other.

Been there done that and have many t shirts, scarfs, programmes and memories;

Great thread idea and interesting question. I'd tolerate most of the things mentioned in this thread, but it got me thinking, something that hasn't been mentioned is location. Wasn't there a brief insane moment when a Severnside stadium was mooted in South Gloucestershire. I know City has fans all over the West Country and more power and respect to them/you all, but when I think about it, I'm not sure how much I could stomach watching or enjoying or being proud of a City team whose 'home' was somewhere I didn't know or had no affinity with. A big part of it for me now is BS3. Win or lose, it's places and people that are integral to being a City supporter. Ashton Vale wouldn't have been a big issue for me, but a City team who played somewhere totally alien in South Gloucestershire I knew nothing about and had no interest in, would seriously test my interest and loyalty.

Realistically, it's hard to say what I'd do in a Cardiff-style situation until we were in one. A lot also comes down to how any changes are communicated and the reasons for them. Club names and kit colours do change at clubs and have changed in the history of football so I'm not implacably opposed to them (otherwise I'd complain we weren't still called Bristol South End) but I'd hate anything to be done against the wishes of the fans or for purely commercial reasons.

If I'm honest, I'll follow city whatever but am far more likely to actually spend money going to matches when we're playing good football and the players work hard for the club. I try to get to London games if I can anyway but this season I'm hoping to go to Birmingham, Villa, Ipswich, Newcastle and Brighton too (am away for Reading) and l probably wouldn't have made those trips in a season where we were playing badly or the players looked like they didn't give a damn about the club.

Archived