IGNORED

When would you stop following 'City'...

SARJ

Following on from the recent 'kit survey' email asking for supporters ideals, one of the more controversial questions, picked up by City & Rugby fans alike, was about teams playing together in the same kits/colours. This got a nice debate started in work about Bristol Sport becoming a united club participating in all sports, similar to the Barcelona model Lansdown is known to appreciate.

Without straying from the question (i.e. let's not start a discussion on what Lansdown does/doesn't want), the question really is what would it take for you to stop going to Ashton Gate as a result of Bristol Sport interference. A good example would be a changing of the team badge, colours or even name (think Bristol Sport RFC with the swirly logo as our team badge). Be interested to hear what loyal supporters would make of such changes.

Cardiff City put up with a load of nonsense and still obtained decent gates, even with the badge and colour change, but can't imagine the same response would happen here.

Alternatively, I've spoken with some rugby fans recently who said they'd put up with a change of kit colour if it meant staying at Ashton Gate/being part of the Bristol Sport brand, even though they wouldn't necessarily like said changes.

Cheers. 

I would withdraw my support if we had any nonsense like what's happened over at Cardiff. 

I don't mind the Bristol Sport concept as long as all clubs keep a certain amount of their own identity. 

Other than that, the only thing that would stop me supporting the City is death.

I've finished with girlfriends who think it's ok to ask you to choose between them and football....

Never ever.

However if the club was - say - owned by Donald Trump; co-managed by Warnock and Holloway; captained by Ched Evans, and had changed its colours to blue, I wouldn't give it any of my money in form of attendance.

I'd still be a Bristol City supporter, just not in support of the ownership.

During the turbulent early 80s, my late father had a major disagreement with the cabal then in charge of City and started to go to watch Villa to get his live football fix. He was still an avid City fan, but he felt he couldn't in conscience attend AG while certain persons were on the board. Fortunately, he only had to make a few journeys to Brum before the club was wrested back into the hands of good folk.

I would put up with a lot. A change of kit colour won't happen, so that's purely hypothetical. 

I think the only thing that would stop me going (temporarily) would be if Holloway was managing us. 

I'd even (begrudgingly) tolerate Warnock, because he'd only ever be appointed if we were in a situation where we needed a short term escape, by any means. 

The true answer is the day I die. I have been watching City through thick and thin since the early/mid 60s and I have no intention of changing now.

While Steve Lansdown remains at the helm, I see Bristol Sport as more of a corporate contingency or a marketing tool, rather than an interference. I don't think it likely we will change our name given the fiasco at Hull, and it would need to be sanctioned by EFL. which it may not get. As for our kit, I like Red, it is our traditional colour and I wouldn't want to change it, but provided we are distinguishable from the other lot in Bristol, i.e. don't wear predominately Blue , I wouldn't die in a ditch over the colour scheme. Similarly, I believe we have the right badge, as after all we are BRISTOL CITY, but it is just an emblem on a shirt or letterhead. I have never understood the clamour for the Robin to be on the badge. Although it makes a decent logo, and my old thick black enamel badge of a robin on a gate remains the best supporters badge City ever produced, we are only the Robins due to the fact we play in red shirts.

Rather than worry about City, now they're at the Gate, lets see Bristol Rugby change to a Red home kit and Blue away.

1 hour ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

The true answer is the day I die. I have been watching City through thick and thin since the early/mid 60s and I have no intention of changing now.

While Steve Lansdown remains at the helm, I see Bristol Sport as more of a corporate contingency or a marketing tool, rather than an interference. I don't think it likely we will change our name given the fiasco at Hull, and it would need to be sanctioned by EFL. which it may not get. As for our kit, I like Red, it is our traditional colour and I wouldn't want to change it, but provided we are distinguishable from the other lot in Bristol, i.e. don't wear predominately Blue , I wouldn't die in a ditch over the colour scheme. Similarly, I believe we have the right badge, as after all we are BRISTOL CITY, but it is just an emblem on a shirt or letterhead. I have never understood the clamour for the Robin to be on the badge. Although it makes a decent logo, and my old thick black enamel badge of a robin on a gate remains the best supporters badge City ever produced, we are only the Robins due to the fact we play in red shirts.

Rather than worry about City, now they're at the Gate, lets see Bristol Rugby change to a Red home kit and Blue away.

Like you, if we can support them through both the successes and debacles of the last 50 years then nothing much will change! We've never been considered glory hunters (although the odd Wembley win is nice as is the rarity of a championship trophy!) but the rest is all abouthe being "city" through and through. 

I'm surprised by some of the replies on this thread.

People were quick enough to mock Cardiff when they 'sold their soul' to Vincent Tan and accepted new kit colours and badges etc, but are now saying they'd stay and support 'City' if that ever happened.

Not saying any of you are right or wrong, just surprised. Thought people felt a tad more strongly over issues like identity and colours etc. 

For me -  I'd never stop supporting City. Like most long term supporters of my generation we've been through some desperate times over the years and yet we are are still here.

I could put up with Holloway or Warnock in charge or even a change of team colours. The only time I'd withdraw my support is if someone like Tan bought the club and behaved in same way as he did at Cardiff. 

My non attendance would be as a protest against the ownership rather than because I didn't want to go.

57 minutes ago, SARJ said:

People were quick enough to mock Cardiff when they 'sold their soul' to Vincent Tan and accepted new kit colours and badges etc, but are now saying they'd stay and support 'City' if that ever happened.

Not saying any of you are right or wrong, just surprised. Thought people felt a tad more strongly over issues like identity and colours etc. 

Yes but isn't that because of the severity of the original question?

There is 101 things that could pee you off that could happen - home kit colour changes, badge change etc as said above and these may annoy greatly and even cause wide divisions with the club.

But we are talking actually withdraw support - stop going - stop following. This is a question of the heart and undying love - to totally break that is well beyond the anger and annoyance of branding type issues.

For me it would have to be a move out of the heartland MK Dons style or a merger with the blue few and a new Bristol United forming. I would then spend Saturdays giving my money to Broad Plain or Ashton Utd !!

2 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

A banning order.

But then again, I would probably invest in plastic surgery and a false I.D. And still go.

A dog might be just for Christmas, but City are for life.

If my personal account manager had a hand is sending you your banning order you'd be pushing up the daisies long before you received it!

1 hour ago, SARJ said:

If we had the Cardiff situation/debacle I would end my following of City, pretty much end my interest in football full stop.

The identity of a club would be gone.

1 hour ago, Mad Cyril said:

A banning order.

But then again, I would probably invest in plastic surgery and a false I.D. And still go.

A dog might be just for Christmas, but City are for life.

sorry if this been done before. But a dog is not just for Christmas if you are careful it will do boxing day as well

6 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I would withdraw my support if we had any nonsense like what's happened over at Cardiff. 

I don't mind the Bristol Sport concept as long as all clubs keep a certain amount of their own identity. 

Other than that, the only thing that would stop me supporting the City is death.

I've finished with girlfriends who think it's ok to ask you to choose between them and football....

My ex wife told me would leave me if I went to Darlington away for a night game. Fair play to her, she`d packed up and gone by the time I got back. Happy days.

58 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

My ex wife told me would leave me if I went to Darlington away for a night game. Fair play to her, she`d packed up and gone by the time I got back. Happy days.

I lost a long term girlfriend over the play off final vs Hull....we'd been invited to three weddings on that day (how often does that happen??!) and I pootled off to Wembley on a minibus....oops!!! 

What was weirdly reassuring though is that her gashead dad agreed I was doing the right thing when I said I was going, he said 'as a fan you just cannot miss that game' - or perhaps he didn't like me and knew that would make his daughter pack her bags....

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I will follow forever as long as we are called Bristol City FC and we play in red...

If either of those changed - see ya....

No need to change anything regarding our real identity

This for me aswell - can't think of anything else 

I don't think I'd want to support a club that employed a sex offender or someone like Lee Hughes.

Change of name or drastic colour change, see ya.

If a European super league was stood up and effectively blocked any chance of clubs playing at the very top I'd probably not watch football again.

The club and its fans are far far bigger than the owner, head coach or players at any given date. As for shirt colour, I prefer red but we have played in blue even in blue and white quarters, let alone the ghastly primrose yellow strip.  It is always City and I remain a fan to the very end.  Hopefully passing away with unbridled emotion and pride as City's captain lifts The Champions cup for the first time.

Archived