IGNORED

The infrastructure of Bristol

AshtonGreat

Not cheap either- was gonna get a train from Temple Meads to Parson Street the other day, but looked at the prices and thought screw that. It was on a Sunday too- surprisingly pricy for such a short journey one way. I mean yes in real terms £2.50 is nothing but for a one way journey on a Sunday that is higher than expected!

Problem is we live in a very old city that is in places, still designed for the occasional horse and cart with bottle necks everywhere. In addition Bristol is a very popular place to live and so more people in an area where there is very little room for manoeuvre. 

The only real option for me would be an underground or monorail like system. However with these being really expensive there is almost nothing that the council can do. If everyone collectively started cycling or taking the bus (which would become more reliable if there are less cars) it would get better but people just don't seem to want to in Bristol. 

25 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Problem is we live in a very old city that is in places, still designed for the occasional horse and cart with bottle necks everywhere. In addition Bristol is a very popular place to live and so more people in an area where there is very little room for manoeuvre. 

There are numerous old City's all over the UK that don't have the same problems as Bristol does.

As others have already said the public transport is inadequate and expensive so it's no surprise that people drive. if ever I come into Bristol for anything other than football I use the park and ride and that's helped reduce the amount of cars but even that takes a circulative route. I was on it a few weeks back for 25mins from LA Park and ride to the centre.

The only way to deal with the problem would be to implement a congestion charge similar to London. That would encourage cycling and using public transport.

Just been reading that Bristol has the second highest population increase in the last 12 months a figure in the region of 5-6% so things will only ever get worse if the city continues to grow at this pace.

Coming into the city from the Forest is now turning into a nightmare and there is really no alternative to using the car as there is no P+R this side of Bristol and trains you have to change 2-3 times. Why they dont build a P+R by the M4/M5 junction god only knows that to me would be an ideal place to put one and no doubt save thousands such an awful journey in. 

People ripped it out of me when I bought an over-priced small flat on North Street. The reason? Simple: Bristol's infrastructure is so bad that I'd buy a property closer to town so I can walk to and from work/football each week.

I haven't used a bus since January and rarely use my car anymore. My life is now bliss. I walk home each day, even when it's rain or cold, with a smile on my face, pitying the poor, miserable looking souls waiting on the bus stops or stuck in traffic.

47 minutes ago, SARJ said:

People ripped it out of me when I bought an over-priced small flat on North Street. The reason? Simple: Bristol's infrastructure is so bad that I'd buy a property closer to town so I can walk to and from work/football each week.

I haven't used a bus since January and rarely use my car anymore. My life is now bliss. I walk home each day, even when it's rain or cold, with a smile on my face, pitying the poor, miserable looking souls waiting on the bus stops or stuck in traffic.

I also live in that part of Bedminster and it is imo the best location as it is 20 minute walk to anywhere

41 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

I also live in that part of Bedminster and it is imo the best location as it is 20 minute walk to anywhere

Define 'anywhere'?

Can you get to a Waitrose in 20 minutes, for example??

:rolleyes:

Uncle TFR

1 hour ago, Taxi for Rennie said:

Define 'anywhere'?

Can you get to a Waitrose in 20 minutes, for example??

:rolleyes:

Uncle TFR

Well to be fair, if you can afford to shop in Waitrose then being in walking distance of places is void as you just pick up the phone, a knock at the door " @Taxi for Rennie ? "   " Yes, Waitrose my good man"

On 13/10/2016 at 18:21, Fiale said:

Well to be fair, if you can afford to shop in Waitrose then being in walking distance of places is void as you just pick up the phone, a knock at the door " @Taxi for Rennie ? "   " Yes, Waitrose my good man"

Stop spreading stereotypes.

Waitrose (other supermarkets are available) sell budget lines e.g. baked beans - er - um - 'salad cream', etc.

If I want to buy gold leaf and finest Chablis, then I am not committing a crime.

'Back off, Jezza'.

:bruce_h4h:

Uncle 'silver spoon' TFR

On 13/10/2016 at 15:37, SARJ said:

Amen brother or sister. BS3 is just amazing for commuting on shanks' pony and being a stone's throw from one of the best street of indie shops, bars & restaurants! 

Archived