IGNORED

Concerts!

Silvio Dante

6 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Sept they did the NYE show on the Beeb a year or two ago and were amazing. The singer was a strutting, confident, magnificent frontman and, whilst no Freddie, they were a joy to watch. 

1 hour ago, RedM said:

I've not seen them live, but against all my beliefs about bands carrying on without key members, I'm certainly glad they were able to get together and perform those songs. They still need to be sung live, Brian May etc need to perform. I'm happy they have found a way. I would have loved to have seen Queen live. 

Tbf, I don't agree either with band replacements. But they got it just right. Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert aren't 'replacing' Freddie. More like showcasing Queen's talent in general with a guest speaker. 

Also, Bohemian Rhapsody is nearly always the encore and that is sung by Freddie (albeit a video recording of him)

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

*still hurts to think about that brilliant Mott The Hoople gig at the Colston Hall '74ish ... Queen were the backing band, a little known bunch of hairy students, gave 'em five mins before deciding to hit the bar for a couple of beers while waiting for Mott .... duh!  ... if only we'd known.

The County hotel in Taunton used to have a reputation for hosting new or estabolished acts in the early 70'stages such as Queen, Suzy Quattro and many others. Long gone are those days.

18 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Tbf, I don't agree either with band replacements. But they got it just right. Paul Rodgers and Adam Lambert aren't 'replacing' Freddie. More like showcasing Queen's talent in general with a guest speaker. 

Also, Bohemian Rhapsody is nearly always the encore and that is sung by Freddie (albeit a video recording of him)

As my all time favourite band I am very much against continuing on as effectively their own tribute band without 50% of their members.  When so many supergroups are being formed out there, I don't see why Brian & Roger don't just form a group with some other awesome musicians under a separate name to avoid conflict with those who don't see it as Queen (and don't get me started on "Queen +..." - it's very much "Queen -"!) and then record some stuff!  They can still play some Queen stuff at any live shows, but they formulate their own identity.  There's a very good reason why there are very few decent covers of Queen songs, and that's because no-one else can perform their songs like Freddie or anywhere near as good. I like Adam Lambert - it just doesn't sit well with me is all.

Brian and Roger both are far too good songwriters and musicians to not be writing and recording (Roger's Fun On Earth album from 2014 was great).  Supergroup it with a great vocalist - it's worked fantastically well with Slash, and with other groups such as Chickenfoot, Black Country Communion, Them Crooked Vultures etc.

Sorry - feel quite strongly about this....but I hide it well!!!!  Rant over! :) 

45 minutes ago, Midred said:

The County hotel in Taunton used to have a reputation for hosting new or estabolished acts in the early 70'stages such as Queen, Suzy Quattro and many others. Long gone are those days.

Remember one afternoon gig at Bristol Locarno (now o2acadamy) way back late sixties/early seventies, school holidays (I think?) where a whole bunch of bands performed inc Suzie Quattro, Wizard, etc  (loads more maybe Hawkwind too?) Amazing to think how they got so many acts together for an afternoon gig in Bristol ...tickets must've been cheap cos it was just us young kids there.

Hope someone with a better memory than mine might remember it and some of the bands who appeared at that one off gig? 

Venue ..Might have been called The Mecca or The Lacarno at the time.... hope someone remembers that event.. ( I've tried googling it, can't find it..)  

42 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Remember one afternoon gig at Bristol Locarno (now o2acadamy) way back late sixties/early seventies, school holidays (I think?) where a whole bunch of bands performed inc Suzie Quattro, Wizard, etc  (loads more maybe Hawkwind too?) Amazing to think how they got so many acts together for an afternoon gig in Bristol ...tickets must've been cheap cos it was just us young kids there.

Hope someone with a better memory than mine might remember it and some of the bands who appeared at that one off gig? 

Venue ..Might have been called The Mecca or The Lacarno at the time.... hope someone remembers that event.. ( I've tried googling it, can't find it..)  

Saw Wizard perform at the old cattle/produce market, set up on the market stalls there. Can't have been more than a fiver then? Wouldn't it be nice if they could do a few of these sessions again, and I don't just mean Wizard!

By the way what sort of crowds did we get to Ashton gate for concerts in the old stadium? Did the Who also do a concert there once?

3 hours ago, Midred said:

Saw Wizard perform at the old cattle/produce market, set up on the market stalls there. Can't have been more than a fiver then? Wouldn't it be nice if they could do a few of these sessions again, and I don't just mean Wizard!

By the way what sort of crowds did we get to Ashton gate for concerts in the old stadium? Did the Who also do a concert there once?

Jesus, that takes me back! I was there too - it was a SCAT student union thing I think. They`d just got `See My Baby Jive` into the charts. I remember it like it was yesterday.

17 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

Oooh another name I just thought of...

Phil Collins!

He's back on the road and sold out his London concerts at the Royal Albert Hall. He'd be worth a watch I reckon too.

I did see his your advertised in the Metro a day or two ago, saw the dates were the beginning of June and did wonder.

Archived