IGNORED

Hello From A New Boy

downendcity

I've been an interested reader for quite some time now. Unfortunately I'm a bit of an old godger so this new fangled technology is a bit of a mystery, so it's taken weeks before I can sort out user names, passwords and all that cr@p! Any way, at last I'm ready to dip my toes in the water and add my comments, for what they're worth.

I've been a City fan since the mid/late '60's but moved away from Bristol(Downend) in the late '70's, but have remained faithful even resisting the lure of Barry Fry's Posh since we moved to Peterborough 19 years ago( not too difficult a task I must admit)

I don't see the team as much as when I was at home, but see more away matches than home games these days. What that made me realise (which you don't, just seeing home games) is the fantastic support this club has and which everyone associated with BCFC should be rightly proud of. Last season at Peterborough it was like WE were the home side - magnificant.

Reading the message board over the last 7-8 months also made me realise that soem other things never change. The fans are fantastic and loyal, but also the most fickle and difficult to please! It's a tricky one to call, as I know it's because we all want success for the side, and realise that Nationwide 2, Coke 1, Robinson Barleywater 76 or whatever it's called next week, is not the league we should be playing in.

There as many different opinions on this board as there are posters. For as many who were glad to see Peacock go, there were almost as many wanting him to stay and football will always be that way. My view, is that with Peacock gone we could see Miller getting thhe chance to play to his potential, as he reminds me a lot of Paul Cheesley ( although not yet so physical a player as Cheesley and withoout yet having the same goalscoring record) if he turns out a fraction as good we will be well pleased. With luck, we could see a much more adventurous side next season and we have the players to play that way and hopefully kill sides off - which we failed to do too many time last year.

I was one who felt that sacking Danny Wilson was the wrong move. He was building the basis of an excellent young side, with the foundation built on good football. I seem to remember another manager in the late '60's and early '70's doing something similar, but he was given enough time to see that team fulfil it's potential. Having said that, Tinnion must be given the chance, firstly to do things his way, and secondly to build his own team. I'm already pleased to see how he is going about sorting out problem areas - goalscoring being a major one. I see lot's of commments about the number of strikers we have. If he signs McLean then I feel one or two might have to go. However, we need our strikers scoring goals. Peacock was to often playing in his comfort zone as he knew he had guaranteed place in the team. I hope tinnion makes sure all the forwards know they are playing for their places so that they are hungry and play with some edge. If they aren't performing there should be an understudy itching to take their chance. I hope that Tinnion's work with the achademy players will mean he will give the young players a chance, and it looks good that the signings we are looking to make are all young.

I hope the signings he's making will also demonstrate his ambition to forge ahead, so that players like Doherty and Coles will be more inclined to stay. We should all realise that this is probably the best bunch of young players we've had at one time for over 20 years, and so many of them are local lads. How much do you reckon they would like to acheive success together - I hope Tinnion can instill this feeling in the squad?

With all the changes I am sure that there will be mistakes along the way and it won't alweays go as smoothly as we would like ( we ARE the Tim Henman's of this division after all!), but I hope the fans support the team through the bad times as well that and not start the backbiting and calling for Tinnions head before the season is up and running.

Having written all that drivel, I'm now quite excited about the new season and can't wait for it to start. Let's hope we all have a great season and I llook forward to chipping in my five penn'orth from time to time.

Hi, welcome to the forum.May all your posts be as well written and thought out as this one! Not everyone will agree with everything you say, but that's what makes this forum so great, and addictive too!

Guest XrAnGeX
couldnt be bothered to read your long posts

No need for that.

Welcome to the forum mate, be careful not to get too addicted like some. :D

Ithink you are right he does remind me a bit of cheesley and if he is half as good he will be excellent.

It is also good to see that tinman is is telling the players he signs what he expects from them (25+ from heff)

good stuff tinman.

Guest Old Red In Exile

Welcome to the forum from one old City fan to another. I really enjoyed reading your article and agree with most of your points. Living in Wolverhampton, I watch far more away matches than home one's. Next season I will try and watch more away and probably less at home. I was at Peterborough and thought the atomsphere was wonderful, even though City were rubbish. The home matches do not generate the same feelings of loyalty and togetherness. Moaning City fans are immediately quietened by the more constructive one's. when we play aaway. Cardiff was nothing like the average away game at Stockport, Port Vale, Nottingham, etc. The vocal support was split up, like Ashton Gate, and the moaners were out in full. The whole ethos of City away matches is something to witness and long may it continue.

I was at Fellows Park, Walsall when City were relegated to the old 4th Division. Rob Newman scored the winner from a free kick, I celebrated and was thrown on the pitch by the away support. Looking forward to repeating the experience at Bescot Stadium this season.

Welcome to the forum.

I started folowing City in 68/69 and I moved to Peterborough in 1986. Two years ago a man walked into PC World wearing a City shirt, he lives at Ramsey. At Rushden last December I met a City fan living at Benwick and a few months ago three different people went into the Tesco Extra store wearing City shirts.

WE ARE NOT ALONE!!!

Firstly, welcome!! Secondly, i think anyone who has supported city for so long, and moved away and not living in bristol anymore(?), is a proper legend! Great stuff! Thirdly, i think the decision was correct to dispose of wilson but thats gone and, finally (!) i am also very excited to the new season!!

Here's to lots of happy posts! :Party3:

Archived