IGNORED

Birmingham City takeover.

Tipps69

They've just had a takeover completed today for £12m (apparently) by a Chinese company, they are apparently happy to keep Gary Rowett in charge & they will have £12m to spend in the transfer market, with the aim of getting to The Premier League.

Good to hear that foreign investors aren't looking to walk into a club & change everything about that club.

There is a lot of money in The Championship now & only so much quality (in terms of players) to go around. Sounds like it's only going to get stronger & harder to make the move up to The Premier League.

A £12million war chest is not a great amount of money in today's market, if they expect that to give them an almost guaranteed pathway back to the premier league. 

Sounds a little bit like the Venkeys at Blackburn to me (without knowing anything about the people who have taken over Brum) 

9 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

They've just had a takeover completed today for £12m (apparently) by a Chinese company, they are apparently happy to keep Gary Rowett in charge & they will have £12m to spend in the transfer market, with the aim of getting to The Premier League.

Good to hear that foreign investors aren't looking to walk into a club & change everything about that club.

There is a lot of money in The Championship now & only so much quality (in terms of players) to go around. Sounds like it's only going to get stronger & harder to make the move up to The Premier League.

I suspect Aston Villa fans thought the same after their takeover and the appointment of Di Matteo + the unhelpful comments along the way from their owner.

18 minutes ago, harrys said:

Be interesting to know how many English chairmen are in the top two divisions, can't be many

Sort of depends what you mean by that, but in terms of majority owners:

Burnley, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Spurs and West Ham in the prem all have British Ownership.

There are quite a few in the Champo... Ourselves, Barnsley, Brentford, Brighton, Burton, Derby, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Newcastle, Norwich, Preston, Rotherham and Wigan.

There are a few 'grey areas' like Everton and Palace who's ownership is split between quite a few. Majority of Everton is British owned, but the biggest holder is not. I am not sure how Crystal Palace's ownership structure works, but they have a lot of wealthy US investment.

So I make it: 5/20 in the prem (possibly 7)

13/24 in the Championship.

Possibly up to 20/44 overall.

21 minutes ago, Clarky89 said:

£12m takeover? Crumbs, what sort of debt are they taking on then?!?

That's what I thought, in this day and age buying a club for £12m does seem a bit low - especially one that has been in the Premiership, and is usually around the playoffs or mid table at the very least most seasons (albeit one or two bad seasons in between).

There has to be a lot of debt floating around. Price to pay for a few years of doing very little?  It would be interesting to see how many Championship sides are running in profit. My guess is not many at all, with Newcastle being one of the few.

1 hour ago, Coxy27 said:

Sort of depends what you mean by that, but in terms of majority owners:

Burnley, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Spurs and West Ham in the prem all have British Ownership.

There are quite a few in the Champo... Ourselves, Barnsley, Brentford, Brighton, Burton, Derby, Huddersfield, Ipswich, Newcastle, Norwich, Preston, Rotherham and Wigan.

There are a few 'grey areas' like Everton and Palace who's ownership is split between quite a few. Majority of Everton is British owned, but the biggest holder is not. I am not sure how Crystal Palace's ownership structure works, but they have a lot of wealthy US investment.

So I make it: 5/20 in the prem (possibly 7)

13/24 in the Championship.

Possibly up to 20/44 overall.

That's more than I thought although every takeover seems to involve foreign investment including crappy third division clubs!!

3 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

they will have £12m to spend in the transfer market, with the aim of getting to The Premier League.

Reading the document linked to by @phantom...

"approximately HK$120,000,000 (i.e., approximately £12.72 million) is intended to be used, when considered appropriate, to acquire additional football players who are expected to make a contribution to and help enhance the competitiveness of the football team significantly so as to assist the football team to achieve promotion to the English Premier League in the future. It is anticipated that an amount of HK$120,000,000 would allow BCFC to recruit around eight to ten football players for future football seasons."

It's a modest plan for sure.

27 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Reading the document linked to by @phantom...

"approximately HK$120,000,000 (i.e., approximately £12.72 million) is intended to be used, when considered appropriate, to acquire additional football players who are expected to make a contribution to and help enhance the competitiveness of the football team significantly so as to assist the football team to achieve promotion to the English Premier League in the future. It is anticipated that an amount of HK$120,000,000 would allow BCFC to recruit around eight to ten football players for future football seasons."

It's a modest plan for sure.

Up to as many as ten players of sufficient quality to enhance significantly the club's prospects of promotion to the Prem, for a total outlay of about £12M? So, an average of something like £1.2M per player to build a squad capable of a top two finish, or top six at the very least. What planet are they living on? We have improved our own pool of players enormously this year, but not to the point - yet - where we look nailed on certainties for the play-offs, and we have been paying sums like (reportedly) £3M or thereabouts for Tomlin; £2M plus for Hordur; a similar amount for the Swedish lad; and so on.

It tells you a lot about the expectations of the new investors, their knowledge of the game in this country (especially the Championship), and the likely extent of their wealth. I'm not saying it won't make Brum a bit more competitive, but no more so than at least half of the other clubs at our level. "Modest" is about right: hardly a plan to strike fear into the competition.

2 hours ago, CliftonCliff said:

Up to as many as ten players of sufficient quality to enhance significantly the club's prospects of promotion to the Prem, for a total outlay of about £12M? So, an average of something like £1.2M per player to build a squad capable of a top two finish, or top six at the very least. What planet are they living on? We have improved our own pool of players enormously this year, but not to the point - yet - where we look nailed on certainties for the play-offs, and we have been paying sums like (reportedly) £3M or thereabouts for Tomlin; £2M plus for Hordur; a similar amount for the Swedish lad; and so on.

It tells you a lot about the expectations of the new investors, their knowledge of the game in this country (especially the Championship), and the likely extent of their wealth. I'm not saying it won't make Brum a bit more competitive, but no more so than at least half of the other clubs at our level. "Modest" is about right: hardly a plan to strike fear into the competition.

Spot on, £ 12m on  3/4 players might help you get to your top 6 , given the other 13/14 in the squad can play.

I think these Chinese chaps may have to realign their ambitions.

Archived