IGNORED

Thoughts on tonight

And Its Smith

We never got going and too many players had average nights really. QPR were nothing special but still caused us problems although Fielding was never really tested.  We had the two best chances of the game, other than their goal, but Abraham inexplicably hit his shot wide and Reid should have done better albeit Smithies saved well. 

A game of few chances and one goal was always going to win it.  We weren't awful and did play it around very nicely at times. When we did we cut through them well but final balls were poor. Too often resorted to long balls

Fielding - 7 - dealt with everything thrown at him. Saves were all regulation and had no chance with goal

Matthews - 8 - everything that Little isn't.  Composed on the ball. Some great saving tackles. 

Bryan - 5 - two poor games In a row for Joe. Reluctant to get forward and caught out a few times

Flint - 7 - won everything in the air which unfortunately wasn't loads as QPR exposed Magnusson all game

Magnusson - 4 - I think he lost every single header and was targeted throughout the game

O'Neil - 6 - held the midfield together pretty well without ever really stamping authority

Reid - 6 - very busy and it forward well when he could. Should have scored.

Brownhill - 6 - harries and hurries opponents but never seems to dominate a midfield battle 

O'Dowda - 4 - nothing came off on the night.  Rarely took his man on and despite getting into some good positions, had no end product 

Tomlin - 8 - MOTM - all the skills, flicks and tricks.  Sometimes he looks too good for his teammates

Abraham - 6 - battled bravely and was isolated as usual.  What a miss.

subs

Pack - 7 - composed on the ball and did well going forward

Wilbraham - 6 - put himself about well

Freeman - 6 - not on long but looked bright.

12 minutes ago, RedDave said:

We never got going and too many players had average nights really. QPR were nothing special but still caused us problems although Fielding was never really tested.  We had the two best chances of the game, other than their goal, but Abraham inexplicably hit his shot wide and Reid should have done better albeit Smithies saved well. 

A game of few chances and one goal was always going to win it.  We weren't awful and did play it around very nicely at times. When we did we cut through them well but final balls were poor. Too often resorted to long balls

Fielding - 7 - dealt with everything thrown at him. Saves were all regulation and had no chance with goal

Matthews - 8 - everything that Little isn't.  Composed on the ball. Some great saving tackles. 

Bryan - 5 - two poor games In a row for Joe. Reluctant to get forward and caught out a few times

Flint - 7 - won everything in the air which unfortunately wasn't loads as QPR exposed Magnusson all game

Magnusson - 4 - I think he lost every single header and was targeted throughout the game

O'Neil - 6 - held the midfield together pretty well without ever really stamping authority

Brownhill - 6 - harries and hurries opponents but never seems to dominate a midfield battle 

O'Dowda - 4 - nothing came off on the night.  Rarely took his man on and despite getting into some good positions, had no end product 

Tomlin - 8 - MOTM - all the skills, flicks and tricks.  Sometimes he looks too good for his teammates

subs

And as is typical for sky, neither chance is shown in the highlights 

40 minutes ago, RedDave said:

subs

Didn't see the match but have spoken to a few who were there. What have you been smoking? And what is your comment on Flinty when QPR scored the winning goal?

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Agree on the passing but you can't lose every header as a centre back. He was used to launch their attacks.  Needs to learn how to get off the ground 

I think that their striker was exceptionally awkward in the air. Even Flint was struggling. 

That was probably the worst performance of the season. Didn't look like a team that had played together much, tried to play a fast passing game but with players who were too loose with their passing or casual with their decision making.

It is becoming a feature of performances when we are closed down quickly and pressed that we do not maintain composure and cannot play the sort of passing game LJ sets us out to play. We didn't string many passes together unless QPR made a mistake or were caught out of position. And generally QPR didn't make mistakes, were athletic, and far more alive to every second ball.

Our game relies on passing and yet if we're put under pressure, O'Neil is the only one who can still play a simple ball with any composure in a game moving at speed. The rest of them really didn't get a grip of the game with the possible exception of Tomlin who worked his arse off, but too often picked the wrong ball himself too. Our full backs giving support is another feature of LJs game but both got pushed so deep they were virtual non-entities going forward (though Matthews I thought did well defensively).

But the midfield bar O'Neil was a disaster and we can't keep changing the team and expecting to play with the level understanding that the LJ football requires. We want interplay and incision but have gone several games now with different midfield and attacking groups, none of whom have settled or got hold of the game and got to keep possession or build any passing rhythm. I actually think LJ does know his best team, so he is putting a real premium on fitness/freshness.

O'Dowda is a long way behind the standard of Freeman (I know many will hate to admit it) and Brownhill is no Pack. When we play only one out and out striker (and Tammy is getting more and more isolated) you desperately need the other two attacking players to get hold of the ball in attacking positions. O'Dowda was lightweight and fizzled our quickly, while Tomlin led several smart breaks but got deeper and deeper the poorer the rest of the teams passing got.

This isn't alarm bell time but it might be time to dust it off for standby. Either tactics didn't work or players cannot execute the tactics, and did don't have a Plan B besides adding a striker and going more direct. We did not have many quality crosses and did not create any situations where we worked clear chances besides Reid x 2 in the second half, both where QPR gave the ball away. On the other hand Fielding had to make a load of saves to keep the score to 1-0. Overall we did not affect or deserve anything from the game.

My reading of the starting 11 and performance is LJ thought QPR would be easier than they were for any 11 of ours to generate a reaction to the Cardiff defeat against. He was doubly wrong - we didn't seem prepared for how QPR played and most of the players we started didn't do anywhere near enough to affect the game. Perhaps it's a good thing after all the recent good press, that we're down to earth with a bump and a lot to get sorted out.

A word for the superfans we had tonight - didn't see your capes but please do us all a favour and grow up (or at least take a little less Coke and Natch). Hopefully someone who was there will know what I'm referring to.

Fielding 8
Matthews 5
Bryan 5
Flint 5
Magnusson 5
O'Neil 7
Brownhill 4 (Pack 6)
Reid 5 (Freeman 6)
O'Dowda 4 (Wilbraham 5)
Tomlin 6
Abraham 5 

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Are you disagreeing that Magnusson lost every header?  

I never said that. I'm wondering about the difference in ratings. Do you really think Flinty's performance tonight merited a 7? And Magnusson's a 4? And tell me what you think about Flinty's part in the winning goal?

Just now, Benni said:

I never said that. I'm wondering about the difference in ratings. Do you really think Flinty's performance tonight merited a 7? And Magnusson's a 4? And tell me what you think about Flinty's part in the winning goal?

I think Flint had a lot to deal with tonight and did most of it very well.  Their goal was down the other end and I must admit to not getting a good view of Flint's role.  The difference in ratings is clear  - you cannot lose every header as a centre back and have a good game.  Flint attacked balls and cleared danger.  Magnusson did not. 

35 minutes ago, RedDave said:

That's amazing!  They had one good chance and scored.  We had two and didn't.  Fine margins.

I'd love to see it again, but I didn't think Abraham's was as clear a chance, or one he did particularly badly in putting wide. He had a split second to connect with the loose ball and the keeper was in a decent position so I think he did well to avoid shooting straight at him or across him, and instead tried to curl the ball at speed so it swung back inside the near post. Didn't come back in quick enough but I understood what he was thinking.

On Tomlin - agree he had some great touches and is full of invention, but personally for me he wasn't much better with some of his final balls or touches than the rest of them, no way he is an 8. I love his recent energy and hunger but as a team that was a 5/10 performance and a lot of that comes down to the poor passing, lack of understanding and failure to keep possession - Tomlin had some nice touches but ambitious and poor ones too. 

Dont think O'Dowda and Brownhill can be on the pitch at same time, especially if Reid is in there with them. Bryan needs a break. I like SG and think we look more solid with him at LB. People forget that we have so far been without our best player of the last couple of seasons and I think Smithy could be back in on Saturday. Agree with most on here that Tammy needs some help up front from the off and Wilbs needs to start Saturday. Just proves how well we have played prior to the last 2 games that we are still 6th and ahead of where we would have expected. 3 points at the fortress against Blackburn and we will be back on track.

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

I'd love to see it again, but I didn't think Abraham's was as clear a chance, or one he did particularly badly in putting wide. He had a split second to connect with the loose ball and the keeper was in a decent position so I think he did well to avoid shooting straight at him or across him, and instead tried to curl the ball at speed so it swung back inside the near post. Didn't come back in quick enough but I understood what he was thinking.

On Tomlin - agree he had some great touches and is full of invention, but personally for me he wasn't much better with some of his final balls or touches than the rest of them, no way he is an 8. I love his recent energy and hunger but as a team that was a 5/10 performance and a lot of that comes down to the poor passing, lack of understanding and failure to keep possession - Tomlin had some nice touches but ambitious and poor ones too. 

I think Tomlin was heavily involved in everything good we did and it sounds like his goal was legitimate (not 100% sure on keepers effort mind you).  I wish some of our other players were on Tomlin's wavelength.

Don't understand your marking of Matthews who I thought was excellent.  

Going to watch the game again in a few days though.  Glutton for punishment! 

I've seen a few people talk QPR up on here tonight.  They were average at best I thought. 

28 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Really not convinced by O'Dowda, he's never doing enough in games, hence always being taken off when he starts. 

I think he has blown his chances, Lee has given him a couple of starts now and he's just not done enough... shame, as he looked good when playing in Front of Bryan for his first game. Claiming a starting team ultimately comes down to the player, and he failed to make his case.

18 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think Tomlin was heavily involved in everything good we did and it sounds like his goal was legitimate (not 100% sure on keepers effort mind you).  I wish some of our other players were on Tomlin's wavelength.

Don't understand your marking of Matthews who I thought was excellent.  

Going to watch the game again in a few days though.  Glutton for punishment! 

I've seen a few people talk QPR up on here tonight.  They were average at best I thought. 

Tomlin just needs that free role to roam wherever he wants sat behind Tammy... I think he can make things happen - it's just a shame atm we seem to be going backwards a little. But hey, we still have a good team, lot's of youngsters, and they probably still have their best performances to come.

Interesting the games that people see.... For me; 

Frankie: 7 - Some good saves, no chance.for the goal. Couple of awful kicks/ unneeded punches

Matthews-8 Brilliant I thought, very promising. 

Flint - 5 Frustrated, couldn't get in to it. 

Magnusson - 7 Some ropey moments but 100% effort and made some great clearances/ tackles

Bryan - 5 Purely for some good interceptions, ropey as hell otherwise!

O Dowda 5 Not bad, made some runs but far too routine and easy to deal with

O Neil 6 - Lost the ball a lot! Looked lost in the middle at times, some good tackles though. 

Brownhill 5 - Bloke next to me only realised he was on when he got subbed, says it all. 

Tomlin 7 - Really tried in a team offering not a lot. Frustrating night for him too though. 

Reid 6 - He's a real threat and always gives 100%. Just didn't seem to get in to it. I think he does best as a 2 in midfield, gets lost in his own role. 

Tammy 4 - Too weak, pushed about, out of position, alienated. Always a threat but not much of one tonight. 

Subs; 

Wilbs - 7. I love the bloke, think he is so underrated in the things he does to calm the team, command play, knock it down. Looked to get on the end of the ball when others didn't even bother. 

Freeman - 3 Think he touched it once or twice?

Pack 6 - Didn't do much wrong, didn't do much right. Same as most really! 

And what is it about our back passes? A couple of dodgy ones tonight from Flint and Magnusson really put Fielding under pressure.

I wouldn't put any blame on Flint for the goal, and Reid seemed to do everything right when he got his chance, but was an excellent save.

Not our night tonight, but in all honesty we were second best from start to end.

2 minutes ago, REBS14 said:

Does anyone else think that by Johnson making these bulk changes regularly affects our confidence and team play ????  

Yes! See my post further above. I can't help but feel that the quick passing football Johnson wants us to play, requires a level of understanding and empathy that is just not coming across in our performances every time we change the team. Time and again players are not reading one anothers decision making or timing. That probably takes time to develop and for that, playing the same team in the same formation is going to help.

Like I said above, is LJ putting a premium on fitness/freshness above all else?

54 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I think Flint had a lot to deal with tonight and did most of it very well.  Their goal was down the other end and I must admit to not getting a good view of Flint's role.  The difference in ratings is clear  - you cannot lose every header as a centre back and have a good game.  Flint attacked balls and cleared danger.  Magnusson did not. 

As a centre back surely you can lose every (almost) header, just as a striker can miss all your chances. What I' m getting to here is your ridiculous difference in ratings as everyone who I have spoken to totally disagrees with these ratings.

19 minutes ago, Benni said:

As a centre back surely you can lose every (almost) header, just as a striker can miss all your chances. What I' m getting to here is your ridiculous difference in ratings as everyone who I have spoken to totally disagrees with these ratings.

Yes you can lose all your headers and if you do then you will have had a bad game! Same as if a striker misses lots of chances he's had a bad game too. 

Your friends might like Magnusson's passing (as I do) and perhaps it's blinding them to his faults.  

30 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Yeah he should mark two players at once......goodness sake!

NO, he should have been aware of the player behind him and be ready to stop the ball going past him, which he didn't. He was too busy doing nothing.

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Yes you can lose all your headers and if you do then you will have had a bad game! Same as if a striker misses lots of chances he's had a bad game too. 

Your friends might like Magnusson's passing (as I do) and perhaps it's blinding them to his faults.  

Reid missed a great chance to make it 1-0 and he got a 6, Tammy missed a great chance and lost the ball in midfield which cost us the goal, and eventually the match and he got a 6. Magnusson lost headers but didn't have anything to do with the goal, he got a 4. You're talking out of your arse, that's my point.

Archived