IGNORED

Joe Bryan

Kingswoodactor

Golbourne looks a better defensive LB, Bryan is I guess a better all-round LB in that he gets forward and helps create chances - or at lest he did, lately that part of his game is becoming less and less, in which case play Golbourne. I do agree with you also, that Bryan is a better Left Winger than LB - 

10 minutes ago, Kingswoodactor said:

Love this guy, but he just isn't a left back in my eyes. We look so much better with him in the midfield. 

The Bryan I want to watch is the one we saw in the 2nd half against Villa.

I suspect LJ thinks he can do both given the space to run and the fitness to do so. But on tonight and recently I make you right. He's just not getting to play his best game. Positionally he's become very conservative (compare to Mark Little for example) and tonight in particular it felt like he had lost a yard of pace but I think it is more that he is too nervous to over commit and continually wants to leave room to comfortably get back and cover.

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Yep, this has to be the case.  Is there a reason for Golbourne's form to drop off?

I think it's because he's a solid but essentially a limited player. His experience and reliability are good, but perhaps he's not quite technically sound or clever enough for an LJ team. Would be surprised if he's here next season.

9 minutes ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Bryan has said that his favoured position is LB, It's just a case of he's under performing at the moment. 

A position a player prefers playing in isn't always their best position.  I read someone who was in the coaching staff at Spurs (think it was Poyet) talking about Gareth Bale the other day and how he was initially very resistant when Redknapp tried to move him from left-back to a more attacking role - and obviously look how that went...

Personally I'm not sure if Bryan is better at LB or LM but I certainly would say I think his attacking threat is better than his defensive one and I would agree with the poster above who suggests Bryan is perhaps a bit too nervous about his defensive responsibilities going wrong and is not committing himself forward as a result. 

I believe Joe's issue is one that's in his head. He's a confidence player. When he lacks it his heads drops and he goes into a shell. If his first touch is great or he makes a good challenge early doors that reflects in the rest of his game. If he gets skinned by a winger it's the opposite.

I Would estimate 95% of us would agree that our Joe  is far more effective as left flank winger   getting to the bye line and crossing behind the defenders to supply our attacker to tap in    THE PROBLEM IS LJ  DOESNT !     I  know Lee has mentioned many times that he sees Joe as a future  prem  left back   well that may be the roll for him later in his career but for now we need him in the attacking vain  a little like our  double winning season !

13 hours ago, Sergio Georgini said:

Bryan has said that his favoured position is LB, It's just a case of he's under performing at the moment. 

Not the same standard of course, but Dean Stamp at Bristol Manor Farm prefers to play LB, but last season scored nearly 60 goals as a striker for them and has another 10 already this season.

13 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

Personally I'm not sure if Bryan is better at LB or LM but I certainly would say I think his attacking threat is better than his defensive one and I would agree with the poster above who suggests Bryan is perhaps a bit too nervous about his defensive responsibilities going wrong and is not committing himself forward as a result. 

I remember LJ commenting that Goldbourne Is slightly limited in his turning. Now the point he was making was a very technical one which I admit was lost on me but it's an issue that Goldbourne would be working on I imagine. 

The point above is a very astute one. 

14 hours ago, Super said:

Golbourne has been pretty average since he came back, don't think LJ rates him.

Totally agree with your second point but not your first.

It seems that Golbourne (and Pack, to a lesser extent) are always the players dropped by LJ as soon as he can.

For what it is worth on those few opportunities that he has had I think Scott has done well this season and if fit, would be my first choice LB.

Joe offers us more in an attacking position, I think.

On 18/10/2016 at 23:46, Kingswoodactor said:

Love this guy, but he just isn't a left back in my eyes. We look so much better with him in the midfield. 

Thoughts? 

Totally agree with OP, JB is not a left back, always done well further up the pitch. Golborne never seems to let us down so can't see LJs obsession with playing JB there. 

12 hours ago, Robbored said:

Reading this thread is unusual in as much that most of agree that Bryan offers more when left of midfield than at LB.

It doesn't seem that LJ agrees with us tho.....but what do we know? How many of us have coaching badges? 

I have a badge for knot tieing .

:yes:

I think JB is an attacking player more so than a defensive one and personally would prefer him further forward .

On 18/10/2016 at 23:46, Kingswoodactor said:

Thoughts? 

I agree - I think he is better forward and prefer Golbourne left back. I don't really want to see JB defending too much - only when needed, but I think LJ wants him to be the "wing-back" - all teams seem to want to go this way - he seems to be defending more than attacking at present

2 hours ago, cynic said:

Bryan is still learning the role which is different to the LWB role he played so well in League 1.

He has a natural tendency to attack and its knowing when to do that and when not to do it, once he gets the balance right he will be be some player.

Its a question of can LJ afford to have him at LB knowing there will be mistakes made, or does he play a career left back who is, at this moment in time, a better defender than Bryan but not as effective going forward ? Tough call.

Yes I think you play him there and let him learn on the job. This year was always about improving our squad by bringing in young players and developing them. Just because we didn't buy Joe doesn't mean we should look at him different than some we bought. If LJ says he is a LB then that's where he should play. Take the bumps and bruises this year for the greater cause of the next 3. Does Joe look better on the wing right now? Sure but we need to be a bit more patient(and I know I haven't always been after these last two). The squad is gelling and growing together and anything top half is a win for me and we should be right in that mix. 

Against QPR their goal came from the left side and JB failed to stop the cross. Our issue is giving goals away cheaply, if Golborne plays LB we look far more solid and tbh JB is a far more effective player in the attacking third and a goal threat. I am not questioning LJs judgement but don't see the value in JB playing LB and whilst he is decent in the air for his size if I was a forward I would be pairing up with him at the back post where with Golborne I think he is an all round better defensive LB who is still half decent going forward and has never let us down in the games I have seen him play

Archived