IGNORED

Wilbs

GrahamC

4 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

About 8 years past the typical peak ages for a player, yet his time with us has been among some of his most effective in his career.

I think he's stayed extremely fit which has helped him.

What I also like about Wilbraham is that he's an excellent example to use whenever people make a damning judgement on a potential striker signing exclusively via scoring stats on Wikipedia.

Also his game management helped to win the game, Bryan was ready to cut in and cross when Abraham was our sole player in the box. Wilbs gave a shout and pointed to the corner- Bryan then immediately turned and ran the clock down. 

O'Neil also did some of this too. These experienced players are what we have missed in the past.

Magnificent pro and a very decent player still

Been there and done it and a joy to see a proper experienced pro using all his knowledge and experience and retaining an 18yr olds enthusiasm and desire

A true leader - what we would give for a 25yr old Wilbs !

On a similar note - Gary O'Neil - thought he was magnificent today and won the ball when he had no right to on half a dozen occasions - a fitting performance and some challenges that had a hint of Sir Gerry :clap:

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Model pro. Real leader. Barely put a foot wrong.

What a shame we didn't see him here earlier in his career!

We said today Steve how much would he be worth in the transfer market if he was ten years younger?

18 minutes ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I will hold my hands up and admit I thought LJ had lost the plot giving him another year. Happy to say he has proved his worth.

Think he may struggle as the season progresses but for now fair play to him.

There was no decision from the management about giving him another year, the contract he was on entitled him to it as long as he played a certain number of games last season. 

2 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

I think it's no coincidence that we have been much better in the second half of every home game, which is when he comes on. Still no first half goals at home this season. 

No shots on target either. I think it was more about the 3 points today no matter how we got them. 

4 minutes ago, MrBibs said:

I think it's no coincidence that we have been much better in the second half of every home game, which is when he comes on. Still no first half goals at home this season. 

Hopes we correct this asap as it's gonna cost us. 

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Thankfully for us he's the sort of player that can still be a useful asset at 37. Being a big target man, holding up the ball, and heading are all skills that don't decline as quickly as, say, being a tricky winger where you rely on agility and speed. Happily he still does what he does very well.

Still,runs the channels tho Chip , and works hard at closing down 

Can't fault the guy personally - total respect and admiration for him

We are lucky to have him IMO

Good PROS (note not 'older players') are invaluable and in Wilbs and Gary O'Neil we have two of the best around ATM

They both sum up the actual word Professional :thumbsup: and a great example to a young squad

5 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

So what's your point,Johnson is getting it wrong from the start and put wilbs in starting 11

I think Johnson is getting it right based on the striking resources we have at the moment. I don't think he has a regular full 90 minutes in him.

41 minutes ago, shelts said:

Squad player at best. Makes an impact when called upon. Model pro they can all learn from. We need real competition up top and hopefully Engvall can give us this. 

I'm happy to take the points he earns, throw him on at 70 minutes and get the game won if that's the case. 

'Squad Player at best' or not IMO there isn't much better in his 'type' category in the Championship, 37 years old or not

(I like Matt Smith but Wilbs is probably more mobile than Matt and probably a tad quicker)

IMHO anyone who doesn't appreciate what Wilbs offers on (and off) the pitch, doesn't watch closely enough or doesn't understand certain elements of the game

Very clever player who uses every ounce of experience as a skill

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

'Squad Player at best' or not IMO there isn't much better in his 'type' category in the Championship, 37 years old or not

(I like Matt Smith but Wilbs is probably more mobile than Matt and probably a tad quicker)

IMHO anyone who doesn't appreciate what Wilbs offers on (and off) the pitch, doesn't watch closely enough or doesn't understand certain elements of the game

Very clever player who uses every ounce of experience as a skill

Useful for sure. Fit enough to carry onto his 40th birthday at pro level I reckon

Am sure most of us have assumed he won't be here next year. Not so certain now - his fitness is incredible, know how and influence second to none. A model pro in every way. Might be worth another year after this for cameo appearances along with a bit of time coaching the youth. Would be a shame to lose him, IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Am sure most of us have assumed he won't be here next year. Not so certain now - his fitness is incredible, know how and influence second to none. A model pro in every way. Might be worth another year after this for cameo appearances along with a bit of time coaching the youth. Would be a shame to lose him, IMO. 

Suppose it depends on his domestic circumstances, as I'm pretty sure his wife and daughter have never moved down.

Even if he never played a game next season whatever strikers we have on our books by next year could learn absolutely loads from him..

10 minutes ago, shelts said:

Useful for sure. Fit enough to carry onto his 40th birthday at pro level I reckon

And , sadly I don't think we could tempt him with his family settled in Manchester , but as soon as he wants to pack in playing , I'd have him / offer him -  the second 'number two' LJ is looking for :yawn:

He's as fit as a butchers dog, no fat on him at all.  Keeps himself fit.  Keeps the squad on their toes and together....massive asset.

Bit like Joe Jordan in that respect, another top pro.

Cotts flogged him last season, but for good reason, he was a good foil for Kodjia as he settled in.

This season he's coming on against tired defences and doing the biz.

Archived