IGNORED

Wilbs

GrahamC

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

Pleased to hear these sort of comments for Wilbs, feels like he has been here for 10 years, and at the present moment, he's like a club icon.

Wilbs is the King, long live the King.

And, love the way he rocks that beard!

Edited 1 hour ago by reddogkev

Summed in a few words what I failed to say in a number of posts :clapping:

Has become one of my favourite / most admired players / characters in my 45 years of City support.

(Feels a bit similar as to how Manchester City fans feel about Sir Gerry Gow despite he only played 36 games for them )

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Summed in a few words what I failed to say in a number of posts :clapping:

Has become one of my favourite / most admired players / characters in my 45 years of City support.

(Feels a bit similar as to how Manchester City fans feel about Sir Gerry Gow despite he only played 36 games for them )

Exactly, there are some players who you'll always remember (for all the good reasons), and Wilbs is one of those.

He's one of those rare players, with no previous connection to the club, who seems to love City like he's been a fan for life.

4 hours ago, formerly known as ivan said:

I will hold my hands up and admit I thought LJ had lost the plot giving him another year. Happy to say he has proved his worth.

Think he may struggle as the season progresses but for now fair play to him.

The extra year is courtesy of a contract clause-without which he would not be here.

8 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

His career stats show that the most successful period of his career in terms of goalscoring has been with us.

Enough said I think.

He`s never been under any real pressure here. We didn`t pay a fee, he wasn`t got in as a panic buy to save us from relegation or anything, and, lets face it, expectations from our fans were pretty low. When he then becomes a real favourite within about three games, there`s even less pressure on him.

I reckon if you asked him he`d say he`s enjoyed his time here more than most of the rest of his career, he can`t have ever thought it would be like this at his age.

As I said in a couple of threads at the end of last season, if he does decide to hang up his boots at the end of this one I hope he doesn`t just slip quietly away as I for one would want an opportunity to say thanks to a good servant.

16 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What I also like about Wilbraham is that he's an excellent example to use whenever people make a damning judgement on a potential striker signing exclusively via scoring stats on Wikipedia.

Assuming that you are referring to the thread on Yacine Bammou, a comment was made that 17 goals in 123 appearances (a strike rate of 0.138) was “not good” for someone classed as a striker.

Hardly a damning judgement.

Incidentally, if you don’t trust Wikipedia,  L'Equipe ( on 15th October)  shows him with 14 goals from 111 games (0.126)

As has been mentioned, there is obviously far more to Wilbraham that just his goals, but even his strike rate is almost twice that of Yacine Bammou.

However, as always, I will back the judgement of those running our club, because as I have said numerous times, “What do I know?”

:innocent06:

PS.

Happy Birthday for Friday Wilbs...

Great way to celebrate it with another match winning goal yesterday...

Its been a great season for City so far and you have been a big part of the success.. so ... if you can keep up the good work, by proving age is just a number...

I wish you many many Happy Returns in the famous Red Shirt... :worship2:

4 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Assuming that you are referring to the thread on Yacine Bammou, a comment was made that 17 goals in 123 appearances (a strike rate of 0.138) was “not good” for someone classed as a striker.

Incidentally, if you don’t trust Wikipedia,  L'Equipe ( on 15th October)  shows him with 14 goals from 111 games (0.126)

As has been mentioned, there is obviously far more to Wilbraham that just his goals, but even his strike rate is almost twice that of Yacine Bammou.

However, as always, I will back the judgement of those running our club, because as I have said numerous times, “What do I know?”

Wilbraham hadn't scored in 2 years and had something like 5 in 7 years before we signed him, that's the point being made.

You continually make out that the Morrocan bloke isn't very good because of his stats and say "but what do I know" as if that means you aren't judging him when its patently ******* obvious that you are.

22 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Do people remember a few seasons ago we had the "five pillars " and part of that was we were not going to sign anyone over the age of 25.

Fair play to Cotts who new this was a ridiculous transfer policy and signed Wilbs.

Except that's complete and utter nonsense.

We are still using the 5 pillars. And the pillar you refer too is that most of our signings would be players who are under 25 which was the case during the summer we signed Wilbs, and this summer just gone.

Players like Wilbs, O'Neil and to a lesser extent Tomlin are the exceptions for the rule so that there is some experience to the side. 

http://mobile.bcfc.co.uk/news/article/20130206-lansdownfivepillars-641677.aspx

Player Recruitment and Talent Identification

Revealed by the club’s majority shareholder Steve Lansdown in January, the club has taken a major change in direction with regards to its policy on recruitment. 

The club aims to sign players aged 24 and under more often than not, with older recruits becoming an exception, rather than the norm. The club is also building up a database of young players in all positions to aid in talent identification.

18 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Do people remember a few seasons ago we had the "five pillars " and part of that was we were not going to sign anyone over the age of 25.

Fair play to Cotts who new this was a ridiculous transfer policy and signed Wilbs.

Did they ever say  that they were n't going to sign anyone over 25 ?

I thought the club stated that they were looking for value with their recruitment and that the aim was to sign youngsters who could improve and be sold on for a profit .

not exclusively though .

The aim is for value for money, a free transfer for an experienced player won't mean a loss in transfer fees.

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Except that's complete and utter nonsense.

We are still using the 5 pillars. And the pillar you refer too is that most of our signings would be players who are under 25 which was the case during the summer we signed Wilbs, and this summer just gone.

Players like Wilbs, O'Neil and to a lesser extent Tomlin are the exceptions for the rule so that there is some experience to the side. 

Well said James.

Even now some criticise the 5 pillars model simply because they don't understand what they are.

5 hours ago, Redtucks said:

Partly your comment and others in that thread yes but also many many others who've referenced exclusively goalscoring stats to write off a player they've never watched.

Wilbraham didn't have a brilliant strike rate (bar Stockport and MK Dons) before he came here and people were far too hasty to look at just that when he arrived for making a judgement on him. There's far more to his game than goals but even his goalscoring has radically improved. He's been great value for money.

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

You continually make out that the Morrocan bloke isn't very good because of his stats

Not true at all. Where have I continually made out that he isn't very good?

As I had never heard of him, have no knowledge of his other attributes and have never seen him play, all I quoted were the statistics regarding his appearances and goals scored.

The OP posted "Not good" to which I replied "Certainly not for a striker".

As I said earlier, hardly a damning judgement.

Or do you feel that is a good strike rate?

I have no idea whether he is any good or not. I'll leave that judgement to those that know.

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wilbraham didn't have a brilliant strike rate (bar Stockport and MK Dons) before he came here and people were far too hasty to look at just that when he arrived for making a judgement on him. There's far more to his game than goals but even his goalscoring has radically improved. He's been great value for money.

Don't disagree with this at all.

5 hours ago, Robbored said:

Well said James.

Even now some criticise the 5 pillars model simply because they don't understand what they are.

I agree. What bothers me is what is so difficult for some to understand. We sign in the main young up and coming players that have a good chance of adding significant on and off field Value

Does anyone know if Wilbo has another contract extension if he plays the agreed number of games/minutes?

On 22 October 2016 at 19:32, BobBobSuperBob said:

Very clever player who uses every ounce of experience as a skill

I was thinking the same. Loved watching his tricks yesterday. The odd subtle nudge of the defender before a challenge; running down the clock toward the end; his instructions to the others. He must be a nightmare to play against. His experience is invaluable. 

On 22/10/2016 at 17:52, GrahamC said:

How can you not love him?

37 yesterday but he has still got it.

A leader, a great professional and a brilliant free transfer.

Delighted for him today.

Totally agree GC - couldn't believe it when some on here said he was finished last season, some players can just keep going, like Kevin Davies did and Wilbs is one of those - a warrior, hardworking, takes the pressure off others and gives everything. As you said, what a pro!

And the best compliment I can give him is that I hated him when he played against us for Stockport etc...

Remember the old Teddy Sheringham quote, that he didn't have any pace to lose, so age didn't affect him....he became smarter.

Wilbs has looked after himself.  Think someone said earlier that he's had a few very light seasons workload-wise, so might be a 31/32 player in game-time....which is no age at all.

Archived