IGNORED

Magnusson

Coppello

Magnusson has not had the advantage of playing against any of his opponents before, but every game I'm surprised how quickly adapts to the guy he's marking.

As usual their big man peels onto Hordur, and Gallagher was quite a handful aerially.  Yet he started to jump earlier and won more than he lost.  Your not going to win every header against a player like him.

In contrast Emnes made sure he was against Flint and gave him a tough game from a different perspective.  The rediculous yellow card (swan dive - a foul, but not a card) meant he could never get tight, and that affected his performance.  He still had a tidy game, but not as dominant as he can be.

I think Hordur quite likes Golbourne alongside him, as it helps his positioning.

O'Neil was my MOTM, for what it's worth, but Hordur, Smith and the late-Bryan cameo all worthy of mentions.

He's certainly adapting well to English football and it's easy to forget how young he is. Impressed me defensively  today but his distribution left a lot to be desired at times. Korey deserved MOM for me though thought he was great today (as per) especially after being out for months. 

1 minute ago, JamesBCFC said:

Magnusson was by far the better of the two. Though Flint wasn't helped by Tom Daley getting him booked with an olympics worthy dive early in the first half.

Funny how everyone sees the game differently.

Just my opinion but Hordur was definitely my MOM today. 

What impressed me was that after Flint's early (and completely undeserved) yellow he stepped right up to the plate and did the dirty work, pulling back left each time the ball was hit down the channel. 

As a young player he is learning every game in one of the toughest, roughest, most competitive leagues in the world.

As for the opinions that he doesn't win headers, then, in my honest opinion and with complete respect for you having an opinion, that is a complete crock of crap! Go and check the stats, c75% won is fantastic. 

8 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Magnusson has not had the advantage of playing against any of his opponents before, but every game I'm surprised how quickly adapts to the guy he's marking.

As usual their big man peels onto Hordur, and Gallagher was quite a handful aerially.  Yet he started to jump earlier and won more than he lost.  Your not going to win every header against a player like him.

In contrast Emnes made sure he was against Flint and gave him a tough game from a different perspective.  The rediculous yellow card (swan dive - a foul, but not a card) meant he could never get tight, and that affected his performance.  He still had a tidy game, but not as dominant as he can be.

I think Hordur quite likes Golbourne alongside him, as it helps his positioning.

O'Neil was my MOTM, for what it's worth, but Hordur, Smith and the late-Bryan cameo all worthy of mentions.

Great Post right through

Magnusson said in a recent radio I/V that he prefers to play against a skilful forward rather than a physical opponent

Also said he's having to learn about his new opponents as well as getting used to English Championship football which he has found far more physical and quicker than he's experienced before

All in all , looks to have a touch of class and I like his calmness

Impressive , as others have said , how he's settled in whilst 'learning on the job'

Hes not a physical type defender, despite his size - (not to say he doesn't put his body where he needs to) but he's got a calmness and ability on the ball that is not the norm , even in modern 'centre halves'

For that reason , the value of being left sided , and going by how he learns ( even within a game) means that I think if ,and when he leaves us it may be for a figure well over what we paid £££££££££££

Seems a 'good' lad too :)

58 minutes ago, brady bunch said:

Jeepers, I know I did the corporate today in the Heineken lounge and have had a few,. But I thought he was poor and carried by Flint. Passing was shocking and he hardly found a red shirt all game...

Agree that he has a classy look to him and will get better and he had their right winger in his pocket. But Flint all day long for me

Magnusson is the blonde, Nordic looking one who is good in the air. 

1 hour ago, 29AR said:

Like with Kodjia, I'm finding him an 'enjoy him whilst he's here' player. He absolutely ooozes class. Maybe we'll get a little longer, he does seem to enjoy it here, but I think he's destined for the top and can see why Juventus thought he was worth bringing into their fold and seeing how far he may develop. 

Don't fret-he is some way off handling the PL quite yet -great potential,but a  notoriously slow starter in games.needs to keep his eye on the ball when it's in the air too..very quick and real team player.long may he be with us.

I believe that nobody should forget the tremendous difference this Championship is for many of the recruits who have come from lower leagues or abroad. The incessant nature of Tuesday and Saturday games compared with one  a week at Juventus reserves will take some getting used to.

So he didn't win many headers today against the giant Gallaher but he made it difficult for him to do a lot with the ball. Like all City players today, in a dreadful quality match, he battled all the way through and I'll gladly take an ugly win.   

9 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Don't fret-he is some way off handling the PL quite yet -great potential,but a  notoriously slow starter in games.needs to keep his eye on the ball when it's in the air too..very quick and real team player.long may he be with us.

Quite possibly but I would counter 'can you say you were that much more impressed by Caulker than him in performing the CB role?' 

I certainly can't say I was and he moved to the PL instantly.  

I think there will be interest this summer for sure as with every passing window until he gets down to 12m on his deal he'll get more and more expensive. When you take in to account the grounding he had at Juve, a club renowned for knowing a good CB and training them well, plus his start here, that will be more than convincing enough for some that he's worth a punt. 

36 minutes ago, Benni said:

What is it with you? Magnusson is very good in the air, he loses a few but in English football you have around 3,000 headers to win every game. Your favourite Flint loses a few also. Your negativity towards a class player is pathetic.

3000?  Wow.

He's a fantastic defender apart from in the air.  Can't have everything. I watch every game and know what I see.  You don't go to a game and then criticise opinions of those that went 

9 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

I believe that nobody should forget the tremendous difference this Championship is for many of the recruits who have come from lower leagues or abroad. The incessant nature of Tuesday and Saturday games compared with one  a week at Juventus reserves will take some getting used to.

So he didn't win many headers today against the giant Gallaher but he made it difficult for him to do a lot with the ball. Like all City players today, in a dreadful quality match, he battled all the way through and I'll gladly take an ugly win.   

Good final para....you're right, you don't always have to win it.  Gallagher's wins rarely landed near Emnes.

43 minutes ago, Benni said:

What is it with you? Magnusson is very good in the air, he loses a few but in English football you have around 3,000 headers to win every game. Your favourite Flint loses a few also. Your negativity towards a class player is pathetic.

He can't condescend if he agrees with you.

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Heading the ball unchallenged is not winning a header.  You simply don't know the game which is a shame.

Winning the battle - and making them forfeit possession even if they connect with the ball - is most important. As important after that is then agility to reposition even if the battle was lost. He wins the battle enough and then shows the agility enough that what you're digging him on is quite a moot point. If the CF was connecting with flick ons regularly I could see what you're saying. But he's not, he's losing a fair share and those he does win are fruitless 

16 minutes ago, WECANDO said:

Only one player for MOTM and that was O'Neil.

That box to box run in the second half left the other City players way behind. Brilliant and top class player. 

Great spot that  :thumbsup:  - not seen anyone else highlight it

a real 'wow' moment for me that I appreciate as much as any sublime piece of skill

7 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Winning the battle - and making them forfeit possession even if they connect with the ball - is most important. As important after that is then agility to reposition even if the battle was lost. He wins the battle enough and then shows the agility enough that what you're digging him on is quite a moot point. If the CF was connecting with flick ons regularly I could see what you're saying. But he's not, he's losing a fair share and those he does win are fruitless 

QPR based a lot of their attacks around flick ons against Magnusson.  Worried that other teams will work him out.

Give certain city players even a modicum of criticism and the place goes into meltdown.

Should remember I can only criticise Little and Freeman.  

Magnusson looks a class player to me. Thought he did well in the air today. However his passing early in the season was so good I thought he was gonna be a revelation. Unfortunately he seems to have gone slightly backwards recently imho. Too many long misplaced passes. Still better than Aden in that respect though.

Magnusson isn't amazing in the air but he wins his fair share. Certainly not bad in the air. Gallagher is a good talent and a big lad. Think Flint would've lost a few today against him. Magnusson will always get the balls towards him as teams will stay away from those balls to Flint so yea it will look like he's losing lots but he's getting so many he's bound to lose a few. 

As for his passing, it's unreal. He switched balls a few times that would make any of our midfielders envious. Does it with pace on the ball and it doesn't float. It just gets there. He had a few misplaced ones but that it was a bit unlucky on a few as the wingers should've been running into the space that he put it into. He's a top talent and in a couple years he'll be getting serious looks from many top division teams across the continent. 

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

3000?  Wow.

He's a fantastic defender apart from in the air.  Can't have everything. I watch every game and know what I see.  You don't go to a game and then criticise opinions of those that went 

He's very good in the air. And for your information I see all the games, very few live and I have only attended one this season, but I watch them all the day after. I know perfectly what I'm talking about so **** off with that bullshit. Your tirade against him is pathetic.

4 minutes ago, Benni said:

He's very good in the air. And for your information I see all the games, very few live and I have only attended one this season, but I watch them all the day after. I know perfectly what I'm talking about so **** off with that bullshit. Your tirade against him is pathetic.

How do you watch them the day after? More BS.

Tirade? Mentioned one fault he has. The only fault.  You need to chill out son.

1 minute ago, RedDave said:

How do you watch them the day after? More BS.

Tirade? Mentioned one fault he has. The only fault.  You need to chill out son.

Wyscout. And yes, tirade. You're constantly talking about his "one fault" which isn't there, as he is very good in the air. What is it with you?

Archived