IGNORED

Magnusson

Coppello

5 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Trying to educate you that's all. Very good in the air even though in one game he lost every header he challenged for.  Good one 

You're ridiculous. If you can't see he's very good in the air you just don't know shit. He's a very good all-round defender, definitely destined for bigger things but somehow you find it important to constantly, on every thread possible, talk about something that just isn't .Why is that? What's your agenda?

6 minutes ago, Benni said:

You're ridiculous. If you can't see he's very good in the air you just don't know shit. He's a very good all-round defender, definitely destined for bigger things but somehow you find it important to constantly, on every thread possible, talk about something that just isn't .Why is that? What's your agenda?

If you can't see it then more fool you.

Obviously I don't have an agenda and think he should be in the team.  I hope he improves this one flaw.  

Every thread possible?  Only done it on two.  One on a game report thread,and one on a thread titled 'Magnusson'.  

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think O'Neil runs him very close for that accolade, Spud.

I'm expecting a lot more from GON tbh Graham...Mags does everything expected of him, with calm assurance and technical ability plus very good reading of the game and decision making. He plays with a head much more mature than his age. If he improves even more, we will struggle to keep hold of him.

GON...does a lot of things right...but I'm expecting better distribution from him. Today...him and Korey did a lot of 'cleaning up' and 'dogs work'...but we were missing good distribution from that area of the pitch today imo. Plus GON's set pieces have been very erratic.

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

If you can't see it then more fool you.

Obviously I don't have an agenda and think he should be in the team.  I hope he improves this one flaw.  

Every thread possible?  Only done it on two.  One on a game report thread,and one on a thread titled 'Magnusson'.  

Congrats, you're better than I thought. Well done.

2 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Baker was an important part of our recovery last season, there was a danger we could have missed him badly when he went back to Villa, but no one talks about him any more. Says a lot about how well Magnusson has settled in.

Good point

Magnusson & Flint first on the sheet for me. That said Korey my motm today.

30 minutes ago, spudski said:

He's been the most consistent player all season. Best signing by far. Anyone that can't see that needs to get off the natch ;-)

16 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Think O'Neil runs him very close for that accolade, Spud.

Agree, but close run thing.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm expecting a lot more from GON tbh Graham...Mags does everything expected of him, with calm assurance and technical ability plus very good reading of the game and decision making. He plays with a head much more mature than his age. If he improves even more, we will struggle to keep hold of him.

GON...does a lot of things right...but I'm expecting better distribution from him. Today...him and Korey did a lot of 'cleaning up' and 'dogs work'...but we were missing good distribution from that area of the pitch today imo. Plus GON's set pieces have been very erratic.

Did you think that 4231 (first half) became a bit more 4141 (second half) with GON playing a bit more advanced of Smith?

Don't think anyone was better than 7/10, whole number ratings only.  Smith, Magnússon and GON got 7s from me.  GON's 7 more for his industry and desire today than his creativity, but some of that desire to make a challenge would have had Gow smiling.

Re Magnússon's heading - he is more centre back than centre half.  He's perfectly decent enough in the air, but not ever gonna be dominant, unless he fills out a bit as he gets older.  Tough opponent today in Gallagher...be interesting to see how he develops.  21 and good physical attributes.  Hordur didn't lose every header today, he won a good percentage, not always clean, but he did fine.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Did you think that 4231 (first half) became a bit more 4141 (second half) with GON playing a bit more advanced of Smith?

Don't think anyone was better than 7/10, whole number ratings only.  Smith, Magnússon and GON got 7s from me.  GON's 7 more for his industry and desire today than his creativity, but some of that desire to make a challenge would have had Gow smiling.

Re Magnússon's heading - he is more centre back than centre half.  He's perfectly decent enough in the air, but not ever gonna be dominant, unless he fills out a bit as he gets older.  Tough opponent today in Gallagher...be interesting to see how he develops.  21 and good physical attributes.  Hordur didn't lose every header today, he won a good percentage, not always clean, but he did fine.

Another good post @Davefevs - would add Frankie and Flint to the list

:thumbsup:

Frankie didn't make any form of error and one good tip over, kicking decent too generally - couldn't have done much more

Cant recall an error from Aiden either and won headers, as ever at both ends

8 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Frankie didn't make any form of error and one good tip over, kicking decent too generally - couldn't have done much more

Frankie's kicking decent?! Just shows we all see different games dont we!!

Why he takes so long on back passes is beyond me. We are going to see a rebound goal from a striker charging him down this season, i am sure of it!

i reckon he panics the centre backs just as much as he does me!

6 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Wonder if one or two are reluctant to accept that Flint isn't our best CB anymore and look to find faults with Hordur because of this.

Can't compare the two.

Flint is an old fashioned head it and kick it CB, Magnusson is more comfortable with the ball at his feet and capable of bringing it out.

Good pairing and one without the other would probably be less effecive.

7 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Why he takes so long on back passes is beyond me. We are going to see a rebound goal from a striker charging him down this season, i am sure of it!

Fair points

Perhaps I should have said 'better'. ;)

4 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Can't compare the two.

Flint is an old fashioned head it and kick it CB, Magnusson is more comfortable with the ball at his feet and capable of bringing it out.

Good pairing and one without the other would probably be less effecive.

Different types of defenders and they compliment each other well, but a comparison can be made.

Both are operating at the same level and to the same quality generally. So they are about as good as each other at this moment in time, however Magnusson has 3-4 years less playing as he is younger, and is adapting to the division, whereas Flint knows English football and has now played at this level for a season already, this swings it in favour of the Icelander.

Magnusson also has far, far more scope to improve. I feel Flint will still improve some more, but not to the degree that Magnusson can.

8 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

Different types of defenders and they compliment each other well, but a comparison can be made.

Both are operating at the same level and to the same quality generally. So they are about as good as each other at this moment in time, however Magnusson has 3-4 years less playing as he is younger, and is adapting to the division, whereas Flint knows English football and has now played at this level for a season already, this swings it in favour of the Icelander.

Magnusson also has far, far more scope to improve. I feel Flint will still improve some more, but not to the degree that Magnusson can.

Well summarised IMO :thumbsup:

If I was an Champ manager with the option to sign one of them.....

If it was for the 'right now' I'd take Flint every time

If it was with an eye on the £££ investment side with a hope / prediction of what Mags may develop into I'd take Mags

28 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Frankie had very little to do, so 6.  Flint - in no way was he bad but not a 7.  Thought Emnes caused him problems today, and the yellow affected him.  6 also.  We weren't great today, so can't have lots of 7s and 8s!

18 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Frankie got his kick to touch out of the way early doors today.  He is kicking it 10 yards further as well.  He is decent off the deck in open play, underrated imho.  I don't think he takes too long, no panic stations from what I saw today, unlike his opposite number, Steele today, who twice in the early exchanges mis-controlled and caused jitters.

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Fair points

Perhaps I should have said 'better'. ;)

Agree.  But I still blame asking our keepers to aim for Joe Bryan's head (when he plays) so tight to the touchline for some of the criticism of both FF and ROD's kicking.

15 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Well summarised IMO :thumbsup:

If I was an Champ manager with the option to sign one of them.....

If it was for the 'right now' I'd take Flint every time

If it was with an eye on the £££ investment side with a hope / prediction of what Mags may develop into I'd take Mags

Personally would take Magnusson every day of the week out of the two. But whenever I play Football Manager (other football management games are available) I constantly look to build for the future.

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

MotM seems to be decided by whoever has done something nice during the 65th to 70th minute - as that's when they obviously vote - respective of how the rest of their game played out. 

Hordur my MotM too. He's something of an unsung hero. That said, I don't begrudge Korey his award. It's tough to come back from all that time away to play 90 minutes of first team football and he did acquit himself well, I thought.

When I sponsored a match, I was asked to name the MOM after about 75 minutes.

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Indeed it did Dave...however i'm looking for more than Industry and desire in GON. Smith and GON are playing similar roles...but one of them has to be creative. I don't think GON is creative enough. If you could blend Packs creative distribution and GON's Industry and experience, then we'd have a cracking player...but today, we missed that creativity from in front of the back four.

Re Magners...I think people are being rather harsh re his heading ability. He never shirks from a challenge and does enough to put a player off, regardless of whether he wins a header cleanly or not. His other attributes far outway this. He's a very good Championship player, and to have taken him from Serie B level Cesena just goes to show how technical ability and reading of a game, overpowers the championship 'hard men'. This was even noticeable back in the day of the Anglo-Italian Cup games...when the likes of little old Pisa outplayed us.

57 minutes ago, nickolas said:

How a Professional GK can just punt it straight out for a throw in, like he did today, and does frequently is beyond me. I've seen better kicking and distribution, and quickness of mind when taking a kick in non league football.

Great shot stopper...but Goalkeeping is about more than that. If I was playing in front of him as a CB I'd be having kittens. Does nothing for a defence's confidence. Can do much better FF...hope he improves...because he does my head in.

4 hours ago, JasonM88 said:

Magnusson won 76% of Ariel Dules today, against a 6 ft 4 striker. Those saying he's no good in the air need to watch more carefully.

I think I saw them supporting Hawkwind in about 1974.

Back on topic, I like the way Mags just takes a few minutes early doors to size up his opponent and decided how he`s going to deal with him and then rarely puts a foot (or head) wrong afterwards.

13 hours ago, 29AR said:

Quite possibly but I would counter 'can you say you were that much more impressed by Caulker than him in performing the CB role?' 

I certainly can't say I was and he moved to the PL instantly.  

I think there will be interest this summer for sure as with every passing window until he gets down to 12m on his deal he'll get more and more expensive. When you take in to account the grounding he had at Juve, a club renowned for knowing a good CB and training them well, plus his start here, that will be more than convincing enough for some that he's worth a punt. 

Was Caulker even playing yesterday ? I did n't hear his name mentioned once . :disapointed2se:

Archived